The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Re: What did you do to your boss today?

Tucson302 said:
Drove at Chuckwalla today and yesterday, what a great track!

Yee haw! You coming out to West this coming weekend?

Tucson302 said:
Drove at Chuckwalla today and yesterday, what a great track!
How did your harness setup work out?

DailyDrivenBoss said:
So I actually did a bunch of stuff a week ago but finally got some "good" pictures.
List of recent mods:
-Whiteline Watts link
-Whiteline Rear Sway bar
-Bilstien shocks and struts
-FRPP K springs
-Vorshlag Camber plates
-Whiteline relocation brackets
-Forgestar F14s 18x10 front 18x11 rear
-BFG Rivals 295 front 315 rear
The pics are okay for a sunny day with my iPhone. And this is at an SCCA autox practice.

null_zps6daf1713.jpg

NICE!
Looking for the exact same wheels...(or both in 19")
I suppose BFG Rivals in 295/35/18 & 315/30/18
Do you "see" the difference in height (because the rears are a bit smaller in diameter...)?
Did you track those tires?
Looking for same Bilstein combo (from Vorshlag as well)...
What do yo think about them with the K springs?
Why did you not opt for the Bilstein springs?
More pics pls.! :)
Check out the frt rubbing when you have a chance...
Sorry, lots of questions but dead on the set-up I am about to get.
THX

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439

ArizonaGT said:
Yee haw! You coming out to West this coming weekend?

Hoping to drive over the turkey day event later this month. Wife already has plans for us this weekend, have fun!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!

rpm3dinc said:
Had my 13 BOSS on the Dyno for the first time yesterday... Dyno guy said there was no "Power Difference" between the Black and Red Key, so all pulls were done on the black key. Car is BONE STOCK with exception to Borla ATAK axel backs and MGW Shifter.

So we ran the Black Key, and used 5th gear as top. I have heard using the Red Key and 4th gear will "show Higher numbers" but won't be "True", but due to the workload he had we only had time for 3 pulls.

Pro-Dyno is one of the best Dyno/Tune companies on the East Coast, so I trust what they say, and 99% of all Mustangs in the Carolina's are tuned by them. My V6 Is also tuned by them and its a BEAST for what it is...

Pretty disappointed with the numbers right now, not sure why they are so low...
376HP, 348TQ was the best of 3 pulls. :-[ Running 93 Oct. Fuel

Also after these pulls I parked the car for about 5 hours, then took it on a 35 mile run, and had a CEL light blinking for about a mile or so (about 5 miles into the 35 mile run), but it hasn't come on since and its been driven another 50 miles since the CEL showed and disappeared.

This was the Best of the 3 pulls, Max speed was 156 MPH
DynoNov21013.jpg

So next run I do will be with the Red Key to see if there is any difference, (though it won't be back to back runs, so I know that won't be a true "gauge"...)

I know each Engine and Each Dyno is different, but these numbers to me just seem way off... a friend of mine has a 13 Grabber BOSS and his Black Key numbers were 401HP and 389TQ. Also a 2013 5.0 Mustang with CAI and H-Pipe ran yesterday too, and his numbers were 443HP and 406TQ! I got beat by 5.0 with only minor mods... :-[
were the other pulls on those mustangs in 5th gear? 443hp and 406tq on a h-pipe and cai on a mustang seems sketchy to me I have never heard of seen a GT make that off of just those two mods.

Did they happen to data log your pulls? you could have had a few bad tanks of fuel and the computer has pulled back the timing quite a bit. you can try putting in some of the torco fuel additive and then do a Keep Alive Memory clear and idle relearn on it. This will clear the tables it has learned and go back to default factory tables. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZO3VN0/

There are other factors to dyno numbers such as SAE smoothing factor...was it STD hp numbers on the GT or SAE that makes a huge difference.

Lastly dont worry about a dyno number. at the end its a tool to diagnose and tune a car. Where it really counts is at the track. Get a 1/4 mile pass and tell us the MPH that will tell me if your car is a lame duck or not.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!

Justin said:
were the other pulls on those mustangs in 5th gear? 443hp and 406tq on a h-pipe and cai on a mustang seems sketchy to me I have never heard of seen a GT make that off of just those two mods.

Did they happen to data log your pulls? you could have had a few bad tanks of fuel and the computer has pulled back the timing quite a bit. you can try putting in some of the torco fuel additive and then do a Keep Alive Memory clear and idle relearn on it. This will clear the tables it has learned and go back to default factory tables. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZO3VN0/

There are other factors to dyno numbers such as SAE smoothing factor...was it STD hp numbers on the GT or SAE that makes a huge difference.

Lastly dont worry about a dyno number. at the end its a tool to diagnose and tune a car. Where it really counts is at the track. Get a 1/4 mile pass and tell us the MPH that will tell me if your car is a lame duck or not.
I see your dyno sheet is in STD....ask for SAE numbers

Before:a7u6a8uv.jpg
After:
dejeqeqe.jpg
On T springs. I love the stance. But I am already very weary of the Plastidip on my front end and wheels. But, I am going to keep it as my sacrificial layer until after the MustangsAcrossAmerica trip.

All Dyno runs that this company does are STD Mode runs... I assume they can get the SAE Numbers from a STD run? Not very knowledgeable about how well the software converts (if it even does from STD to SAE after the run).

In any case, regardless of STD or SAE, I need to definitely reset my PCM and relearn idle prior to the next run (This weekend). With the Red Key ONLY right? Now, the question is, do I need to let the car engage in Lopey Idle Prior to the run? Or just put in the track key and let her rip?

And to "Reset" I unhook the Black Battery Cable for 5 minutes, reconnect it, Using only the Black Key I start the car and let idle for 5 minutes and then I should be good to go right? Just don't use the Red key until Dyno time... (gota drive there, but I can use the Black Key for that I guess (Normally only use Red Key)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

rpm3dinc said:
All Dyno runs that this company does are STD Mode runs... I assume they can get the SAE Numbers from a STD run? Not very knowledgeable about how well the software converts (if it even does from STD to SAE after the run).

In any case, regardless of STD or SAE, I need to definitely reset my PCM and relearn idle prior to the next run (This weekend). With the Red Key ONLY right? Now, the question is, do I need to let the car engage in Lopey Idle Prior to the run? Or just put in the track key and let her rip?

And to "Reset" I unhook the Black Battery Cable for 5 minutes, reconnect it, Using only the Black Key I start the car and let idle for 5 minutes and then I should be good to go right? Just don't use the Red key until Dyno time... (gota drive there, but I can use the Black Key for that I guess (Normally only use Red Key)

STD and SAE are just correction factors. If you you have the dyno run file (.drf for Dynojet/Winpep) you can load it on your computer and apply different corrections.

"STD" is going to show you the largest numbers every time, but SAE is the most widely accepted and accurate correction factor in the US.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Multiply STD corrected numbers by .974 for SAE corrected numbers. 442 HP Std=430.50 HP SAE.
Smoothing is the level of resolution used on a graph plot. The raw data is usually wery jagged and has many peaks and valleys. Smoothing depending on how fine eliminates the highs and lows and creates a smooth curve for the HP and TQ plots. Without smoothing you usually get a spike at the cut off RPM which can lead to an artificially high peak power number, Level 3 -5 smoothing filters this out.
Steve

What did you do to your boss today?

^^^ correct. I've made many, many dyno pulls with my Fox using all of these settings within the Dynojet software.

STD correction on "0" smoothing = highest possible hp/tq numbers.

SAE correction on "5" smoothing = lowest (and the most standardized) hp/tq numbers.

TMO Supporting Vendors