The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What restraints?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Plainfield, IN
2016 GT/CS. I have a Watson 4 point bar and 2 Sparco EV seats with brackets and mounts. i am thinking 6 point restraints, but am stymied on what brand and size. I am 5"6" 225 lbs. Weight is high in the front. I have no butt. All of your thoughts on what brand and size are appreciated. This car does street also, but just to go to shows and the track.

Thanks,
Mike

Words of wisdom come from those who have them................some of us lack a grain or two......I'm holding my own here folks......TMO is holding me back!!!!.Mike has more problems than he knows.........

Last edited:
Size of harness? You mean the shoulder belt size? Length is not an issue on anything but weird applications (wrong installs)

There are still orgs out there that won't allow 2inch shoulder belts without a HNR device which may limit you to 3 inch. I find the 2" more comfortable but just autocross and they don't tech the 2-3" thing.

Schroth is still the top of the line, IMO. Best and smoothest operating hardware and a matching price point. That said, Sparco, Lifeline, Racequip, Pyrotect and probably more have introduced premium lines that are pretty close. You don't realize how crappy the standard hardware operated for you for the last 10 years until you get a good harness :) I sell the damn things and was a lte convert to Schroth and never looked back.

DaveW

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
More importantly...are you using or going to use a Hans device?

If you are NOT..then I would run a Anti Sub 4 point.
If you ARE then run a 5 point.

And why I bring this up...image you hit something. Your body will stay in the seat and your head will not.... dont Dale Earnhardt yourself.

Anything from Comp Motorsports is good. Hard to beat Schroth

competitionmotorsport.com

How about a strait jacket..........that'll keep him warm and cozy.............sorry...........that butt crack didn't sit well with me............is there any irony there????????? I would get a day job if I could.............nobody's hiring my type of ...................personality right now!............I don't blame them............I would work for free if the price was right.........there's gotta be some irony in that!!!!!!!................I give up...............Hon's snoring.......She got up way too early today...............eer yesterday, sorry...................

And why I bring this up...image you hit something. Your body will stay in the seat and your head will not.... dont Dale Earnhardt yourself.

Anything from Comp Motorsports is good. Hard to beat Schroth

competitionmotorsport.com
All opinions...

With a race seat and a bar, I wouldn't run a 4 point. The Schroth ASM ones are decent enough and an improvement over an OEM 3 point in a stock seat, but I am not sure there isn't a less compromised setup when one has a roll bar and race seat.

And for most applications a 6 point is loads better than a 5. The 6 points really aren't even more expensive.

@302BOB - Some sort of inside joke going on? :)

DaveW

You live to laugh and laugh to live...........and hope you can do both for a long time..punching A boss now and then is a Bonus I enjoy now and then..............of course, of course, said the horse...............did somebody say MUSTANG?????????????????????????

Generally rules will tell you pretty much what you need, if the rule doesn't really exist, like in HPDE, you can run stock seats, belts and no HANs because the car has air bags, if you step up to a race seat, 5 or 6 point, etc, then you will want to run the HANs device. The difference is that they are relying on the safety package from the manufacturer, including air bags, to stop you in a basically stock car. Once you start removing those key parts of the factory restraint scheme, you will need a HANs.

Good post but I would run a neck restraint with any harness system, 4-point included. Yes I know about ASM but the Schroth quick fit 4-point has a corresponding neck restraint that goes with it and it works very well as a system. I have factory Recaros.

TMO Supporting Vendors