The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What should I do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Can't you find a way to spend time with both?

While I agree that you have to see your wife...I do think that time off is needed for every man to do man things.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Wow, I didn't expect so many responses and so promptly. I guess it was the advice I needed to hear and what I knew I was going to have to do anyways. The original plan was for her to come to Germany and we were going to travel together but those plans went out the window when she went back to school. I thought of trying to do both but the time and money I would waste transiting from Germany to the US wouldn't be worth it. She is going to skip some class for me while I am home and I do have another stand (1967) waiting for me in storage. Last time I drove that was when we got married last year and I did a burnout leaving the wedding, that was fun :). I'll see if I can post some pics of that one.

Well, thanks for the advice fellas. Looks like I'm going home to see the wife and dog. Oh, one more thing...After I come back for two weeks I'll be headed back for another 6 months in Afghanistan so the Boss will be sitting for a year without being started :( Poor Boss

Sesshomurai

Flyboygsxr said:
Wow, I didn't expect so many responses and so promptly. I guess it was the advice I needed to hear and what I knew I was going to have to do anyways. The original plan was for her to come to Germany and we were going to travel together but those plans went out the window when she went back to school. I thought of trying to do both but the time and money I would waste transiting from Germany to the US wouldn't be worth it. She is going to skip some class for me while I am home and I do have another stand (1967) waiting for me in storage. Last time I drove that was when we got married last year and I did a burnout leaving the wedding, that was fun :). I'll see if I can post some pics of that one.

Well, thanks for the advice fellas. Looks like I'm going home to see the wife and dog. Oh, one more thing...After I come back for two weeks I'll be headed back for another 6 months in Afghanistan so the Boss will be sitting for a year without being started :( Poor Boss

That raises a good question. What sort of preparations should you make given that it won't be started for a year. Probably the battery will be dead by then, and the engine cranks dry....maybe some experts can offer tips on how to handle that situation before and when you start it again.

Flyboy,

Soon to be retired CPT here myself. I've done 3 tours in the last 10 years so I feel your pain. We both know ya gotta see the family before you leave. However, you definitely have an investment in the car that you need to take care of. Try to find a good long term storage facility that has a maintenance/upkeep policy. One of the ones I used started the car biweekly and moved it to a different parking spot monthly in order to keep the tires from flatspotting. Failing that, find a buddy that you REALLY trust and give him a set of keys. WRITE DOWN YOUR MILEAGE AND THREATEN HIM WITH A PAINFUL SLOW DEATH!! But, give him a 50-100 mile/month allowance to exercise your car.

I did both of these at one point or another and it worked out well. Again, no matter which way you go, choose the company or caretaker very carefully. Good luck and stay safe.

Shawn

GA
When I was in the Navy I would leave my car in long term parking (basically in a field) for 6 months. When I would come back I would find weeds growing up through the engine bay. :D A couple of squirts of starter fluid and my '76 Cutlass would start right up, and I would pump up the tires, and then off I went. It ain't so simple now.

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
From one Vet to another,spend your time with the wife. And thanks for your service! You can always leave the Boss with me to take care of too ;D I'm in SC

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
CPTMac689 said:
Flyboy,

Soon to be retired CPT here myself. I've done 3 tours in the last 10 years so I feel your pain. We both know ya gotta see the family before you leave. However, you definitely have an investment in the car that you need to take care of. Try to find a good long term storage facility that has a maintenance/upkeep policy. One of the ones I used started the car biweekly and moved it to a different parking spot monthly in order to keep the tires from flatspotting. Failing that, find a buddy that you REALLY trust and give him a set of keys. WRITE DOWN YOUR MILEAGE AND THREATEN HIM WITH A PAINFUL SLOW DEATH!! But, give him a 50-100 mile/month allowance to exercise your car.

I did both of these at one point or another and it worked out well. Again, no matter which way you go, choose the company or caretaker very carefully. Good luck and stay safe.

Shawn

The car is parked in my garage, and I even parked it on a large carpet to keep the tires off of the concrete. I was going to put it up on jackstands but it barely fits in my tiny Germany garage as is. I also put two bottles of stabil in the tank and I removed the battery and stored it in the house on a piece of wood. My last deployment I put my truck up on jackstands, took out the battery, and put stabil in the tank and when I got back a year later it started up like I had never parked it.

I think my wife might not take classes this next semester so we can spend more time together. Well, I gotta go. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Looks like I'm a little late to chime in, but first and foremost, thank you for your service. Second, who even needs those first few classes? Have someone get her a copy of the syllabus & she'll be fine! You obviously have to spend time with her, but good Lord - it's the Nurburgring!!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Well, the wife won...No nurburgring for me until next year :( At least she will be happy and she can't complain when I am there every weekend next year until I leave Germany in July 2013 :) The Boss will have sat for 10 months but I prepped it and put it in the garage.

Flyboygsxr said:
Well, the wife won...No nurburgring for me until next year :( At least she will be happy and she can't complain when I am there every weekend next year until I leave Germany in July 2013 :) The Boss will have sat for 10 months but I prepped it and put it in the garage.
You made the right choice, but don't hold it over her head. That won't end well.

TMO Supporting Vendors