The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

whats the chances the 2013 boss will have a better transmission

You've heard the deal...some trannys are good, some are bad, some are iffy, but get better with time. With all the testing that Ford put into the BOSS, I can't believe we have tranny & overheating issues, among other things, going on with this car. I was expecting this car to be "ON THE MONEY". Is it just me or is there a feeling of betrayal starting to filter thru?....I didn't even get mine yet.
 
If by chance they do change trannys for 2013, how many BOSS 2012 boys do you think might jump on board to change trannys? My thoughts are there won't be any changes for 2013 to avoid any recall issues.FORD...WE shouldn't even have to be considering this!!!!
 
1,430
345
Don't get your panties all in a bunch until you truly have a problem. Mine works perfect. PERFECT! Most of them are fine. You guys are pretty fragile if you're feeling "betrayal" before you even drive your car.
 

BLAZN BOSS

Mine comes this week, I am anticipating a car I can enjoy, not dread mechanical items. I've worked as a mechanic for ford dealships and have friends that are mechanics for the "other brands". Let me fill you in.......I and my friends have serviced cars much more expensive than these Boss 302's. ALL of them have a chance to have problems, because they are assembly line built...........Ford has done a fine job creating this type of car for only 40,000+...........ONLY $40,000 (grab a chassis and build a pleasing to the eye, runs 12's, handles like its on rails and you can get 20+ MPG with the air on and listen to a CD while driving and see what it costs). Anything man made can and will fail...........you have very nice cars, but in reality they are refitted GT's. Not hand built by shelby american..........you have over a thousand cars reported here........how many have a bad tranny?..........10?......100?.......whats the percentage?...........damn good right now........The only car company not to recieve a goverment handout.....still family owned. Don't worry they will do the right thing, I am sure no one will be stuck with a car they cant drive.
 

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
BLAZN BOSS said:
Mine comes this week, I am anticipating a car I can enjoy, not dread mechanical items. I've worked as a mechanic for ford dealships and have friends that are mechanics for the "other brands". Let me fill you in.......I and my friends have serviced cars much more expensive than these Boss 302's. ALL of them have a chance to have problems, because they are assembly line built...........Ford has done a fine job creating this type of car for only 40,000+...........ONLY $40,000 (grab a chassis and build a pleasing to the eye, runs 12's, handles like its on rails and you can get 20+ MPG with the air on and listen to a CD while driving and see what it costs). Anything man made can and will fail...........you have very nice cars, but in reality they are refitted GT's. Not hand built by shelby american..........you have over a thousand cars reported here........how many have a bad tranny?..........10?......100?.......whats the percentage?...........damn good right now........The only car company not to recieve a goverment handout.....still family owned. Don't worry they will do the right thing, I am sure no one will be stuck with a car they cant drive.

+1
 
95+% of my track time in the Boss has been phenomenal. These issues while somewhat annoying haven't been showstoppers except possibly in some of the most extreme conditions (95*+ or elevations over 5k ft). I still think they are solvable with relatively minor mods for heavily tracked cars. The fact that we can run competitively with cars costing 50% to 300% more is a better testament to what Ford got right rather than what they missed. Some of this is also due to being owners of the first model year of a Mustang with significantly higher overall performance than any of its predecessors.
 
hey everyone. sorry for my negative outlook on things about the BOSS. I hope everyone enjoys their new ride & can fix any problems they encounter down the road. Best of luck to all of you lucky enough to enjoy ownership already & to those still waiting, like me, it's worth the wait...hang in there.....panties are buried in the backyard.
 
302BOB said:
hey everyone. sorry for my negative outlook on things about the BOSS. I hope everyone enjoys their new ride & can fix any problems they encounter down the road. Best of luck to all of you lucky enough to enjoy ownership already & to those still waiting, like me, it's worth the wait...hang in there.....panties are buried in the backyard.
I agree with what said.I had a new 85GT and did everything to kill it and I did a pretty good job.bad rear end and tranny when I traded it in 89 for a new truck .If the worse thing about the car is the trans.Im sure there will be trans kits to upgrade if needed. ;D
 
BLAZN BOSS said:
Mine comes this week, I am anticipating a car I can enjoy, not dread mechanical items. I've worked as a mechanic for ford dealships and have friends that are mechanics for the "other brands". Let me fill you in.......I and my friends have serviced cars much more expensive than these Boss 302's. ALL of them have a chance to have problems, because they are assembly line built...........Ford has done a fine job creating this type of car for only 40,000+...........ONLY $40,000 (grab a chassis and build a pleasing to the eye, runs 12's, handles like its on rails and you can get 20+ MPG with the air on and listen to a CD while driving and see what it costs). Anything man made can and will fail...........you have very nice cars, but in reality they are refitted GT's. Not hand built by shelby american..........you have over a thousand cars reported here........how many have a bad tranny?..........10?......100?.......whats the percentage?...........damn good right now........The only car company not to recieve a goverment handout.....still family owned. Don't worry they will do the right thing, I am sure no one will be stuck with a car they cant drive.
X2
 

BLAZN BOSS

PICKED MINE UP TODAY..............TRANSMISSION IS SMOOTH AS BUTTER............COULDNT ASK FOR ANYMORE!
 
I still think most of the complaints are about the notchy 2nd gear. and most of that comes from not understanding or wanting a transmission that skip shifts. Hopefully when the trackey gets here it will eliminate that feature and most of the complaints.

I am still trying to learn to get along with a 1-4 shift and for the most part it is very usable.
 
boss2012 said:
I still think most of the complaints are about the notchy 2nd gear. and most of that comes from not understanding or wanting a transmission that skip shifts. Hopefully when the trackey gets here it will eliminate that feature and most of the complaints.

I am still trying to learn to get along with a 1-4 shift and for the most part it is very usable.
My notchy second gear did not improve one bit after I disabled skip shift. It has gotten better with more miles but it could be better.
 
1,430
345
Rick- My 2nd gear got waaay smoother after 5000 miles than it was at 2000 miles. For now, while it is cold and still warming up I'd recommend going from 1st to 3rd rather than start in 2nd. Once warm make sure you shift in and out of 2nd a fair amount to get the wear patterns going correctly. My 2nd is very nice now. Zero notchiness this morning but I think the low was about 65* !

Andy
 
Fat Boss said:
Rick- My 2nd gear got waaay smoother after 5000 miles than it was at 2000 miles. For now, while it is cold and still warming up I'd recommend going from 1st to 3rd rather than start in 2nd. Once warm make sure you shift in and out of 2nd a fair amount to get the wear patterns going correctly. My 2nd is very nice now. Zero notchiness this morning but I think the low was about 65* !

Andy
Thanks for the tips. Sometimes mine shifts like butter and then other times it grinds.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top