The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wheel/tire packages for track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was running the NT05 staggered with 275/40 and the 295/35. I am currently running on the Conti/Hoosier slicks at 275/35 square. Before I got these I was going to try the 255/40 and 295/40 R6's for the height, 26.2 F and 27.2 rear. The other setup would be 275/35 at 25.5 and 295/30 at 25.3 or you could go with the 255/35 at 24.8. The width on these two fronts are the same at 10.3 inches.

You would loose a little width with the 255/40's at 9.8 but I was thinking that would be a pay-off for the height and keeping some extra valuable RPM's by running the 295/40 rears.

Those Forgestar's look great Dean. Been thinking of getting a set also, or at least it's one of my favorite's so far. Can you tell me what size of wheel and tire size you went with? Thanks.

rcode1965 said:
Those Forgestar's look great Dean. Been thinking of getting a set also, or at least it's one of my favorite's so far. Can you tell me what size of wheel and tire size you went with? Thanks.

I'm running a square setup with 18x10 wheels and 275/40 Nitto NT01 tires. The tire diameter is the same as the stock 19s.

I ran at the track for the first time this past weekend with the following setup (vs the original 19" wheels/tires):

front 18 X 9.5 275/40/18 Nitto NT05
rear 18 X 10.5 295/35/18 NT05

Tire wear at the end of the weekiend looked pretty good. My daughter was also running the same car in the green run group and we had back to back stints so I gave the brakes a good workout. I have the brake cooling ducts and there was absolutely no fade the entire weekend with outside temps on Sunday around 80F. The engine temp guage never moved from the 12 oclock position. I was running the PF 01 pads in the front and PF 97 in rear. I thought they had good stopping power.

I did find that you need to turn the traction control completely off in order to be able to accelerate out of tight turns. I really loved the way you could toss the car around using the throttle. Lots of fun.

However, on the final run of the weekend the check engine light came on so I guess something in the emissions system didn't like the abuse. Will get it checked out. Anyone else had the check engine light come on?

oldbossman said:
I ran at the track for the first time this past weekend with the following setup (vs the original 19" wheels/tires):

Tire wear at the end of the weekiend looked pretty good. My daughter was also running the same car in the green run group and we had back to back stints so I gave the brakes a good workout. I have the brake cooling ducts and there was absolutely no fade the entire weekend with outside temps on Sunday around 80F. The engine temp guage never moved from the 12 oclock position. I was running the PF 01 pads in the front and PF 97 in rear. I thought they had good stopping power.

I did find that you need to turn the traction control completely off in order to be able to accelerate out of tight turns. I really loved the way you could toss the car around using the throttle. Lots of fun.

However, on the final run of the weekend the check engine light came on so I guess something in the emissions system didn't like the abuse. Will get it checked out. Anyone else had the check engine light come on?
Which wheels are you using?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Yes, 3 of the 4. The last one is coming from a farther warehouse and will be here tomorrow. Tires arrived also. The 305's look awesome for the rears. Ill take some pics when they are on the car (but it"ll look like Gary's except on a faster car -)

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
oldbossman said:
I'll get that every now and again right after I shut the car off when it's really hot after running it hard, and then starting it back up.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
ArizonaGT said:

AZ - Gary knows it's really an unfair comparison since his car is not BLACK. If I ever get to drive with him I promise to not let it out of 3'rd gear ! ;D

PS: Gary, I like lamb chops too... Maybe some veal ? A nice Osso Bucco possibly... ::)

oldbossman said:

Glad you liked them since I'm afraid I'll get blamed if somebody goes with these and hates them :p

oldbossman said:
Did you turn AdvanceTrac off or just go Sport Mode. With it all off, you can really toss it through the corners. It also seems to tame the ABS.

oldbossman said:
It's most likely a P0300, P0305 or P0306. It's pretty common from track use. The PCM perceives misfires, but they're "phantom". The cure is to have your dealer perform a cranshaft sensor relearn process. The crankshaft position sensor is getting fooled into reading misfires. Scott said Ford told him it's from hitting the rev limiter while I had another Ford person tell me it was from vibrations transmitted through the driveline from track curbing. Either way the crank sensor relearn TSB is the cure.

PeteInCT said:
ArizonaGT said:

AZ - Gary knows it's really an unfair comparison since his car is not BLACK. If I ever get to drive with him I promise to not let it out of 3'rd gear ! ;D

PS: Gary, I like lamb chops too... Maybe some veal ? A nice Osso Bucco possibly... ::)
I'm just a regular Boss and can't possibly run with the big dog LS's ;D

Now that's a rack ;)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PeteInCT

Connecticut
cloud9 said:
I'm just a regular Boss and can't possibly run with the big dog LS's ;D

Now that's a rack ;)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You're spoiling our fun ;D

PS: It's always good to get a full rack. ::) If you don't you either said something stupid or drank too much tequila ;D

Dean#4AI said:
rcode1965 said:

I'm running a square setup with 18x10 wheels and 275/40 Nitto NT01 tires. The tire diameter is the same as the stock 19s.

Did the fronts fit without a spacer?

TMO Supporting Vendors