The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Which clutch to choose for my set up??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So, Im having a turbo put on my boss and am going to run a low boost setup and looking to upgrade the clutch but also not pay a fortune as I need to pay off the rest of the build. I hear lots of good things and see alot of people running the Mcleod RST twin disc but feel its too much clutch for what im trying to do. Im leaning more towards the Exedy mach 500 but don't see too many helpful reviews on it. I don't track my boss or take it to the strip, mostly a grocery getter :D any input would be greatly appreciated.

If you go McLeod you want the RXT not the RST for a boosted engine. I have one in my car and it works well.

What kind of power are you going to be making with your turbo setup?

I have the RST and I really like it. With the clutch pedal spring removed, it maintains a stock-like pedal feel. It also handles the beating at the track pretty well.

Can't really comment on other clutch kits, because RST is the only aftermarket clutch I've owned. Also, with the McLeods you have to replace your flywheel, so that may bring the costs up more than your limit.

I have the spec stage 2+ with billet pressure plate and aluminum flywheel.. its good for 650 ftlbs and has never slipped even with countless drag launch.. and I've fried it a few times doing noob burnouts.

Light pedal and easy engagement.

F.D. Sako said:
What kind of power are you going to be making with your turbo setup?

I have the RST and I really like it. With the clutch pedal spring removed, it maintains a stock-like pedal feel. It also handles the beating at the track pretty well.

Can't really comment on other clutch kits, because RST is the only aftermarket clutch I've owned. Also, with the McLeods you have to replace your flywheel, so that may bring the costs up more than your limit.
my goal is 600ish, the tuner wants me to get a feel for what boost feels like before they turn it up a bit. The shop also recommends that I buy aftermarket rods and heads if i want to turn up the boost though these guys are my close buddies but i dont know if they want me to just buy more things you know??? would the block and internals be running on borrowed time if i were to go 650-700 ish?

Im not an engine expert at all. I just read alot.
I think if you keep the RPM's at 7500 you would be safe. From what I read it's when you turn up the HP most people also turn up the RPM's to squeeze every last drop of HP.
I think the MT-82 will go first. Before that will be the clutch and driveshaft. Good luck with your build and post some pictures of your Mods... :eek:

superhero said:
Im not an engine expert at all. I just read alot.
I think if you keep the RPM's at 7500 you would be safe. From what I read it's when you turn up the HP most people also turn up the RPM's to squeeze every last drop of HP.
I think the MT-82 will go first. Before that will be the clutch and driveshaft. Good luck with your build and post some pictures of your Mods... :eek:
Thanks for the input superhero, ill be sure to post some pics when i get her in there ;D

Many of the board members are very happy with their twin disc clutches. These clutches are designed for much more torque than a stock or mildly modified Boss 302 engine can develop.

A couple of Twin Disc Clutch Questions for those who have researched this already:
  • For the Boss 302 engine either stock (444 HP / 380 lb-ft) or with mild power enhancements, what are the technical advantages for a twin disc clutch over a high performance single disc clutch?
  • Does the twin disc work better than a single disc at high RPM?

From a look at current catalog info Mcleod, Exedy & Spec have several single disc clutches that meet or exceed the torque that a NA Boss motor can dish out.

Mcleod doesn't list torque capacity only HP - seems like torque would be a better criteria?

Mcleod www.mcleodracing.com (search: 2012 Mustang Boss 302):

RXT Street Twin Clutch – 1000 HP / No Torque Rating - Part 6932-25 - MUSTANG 4.6L 1" X 23 METRIC SPLINE – Metallic lined clutch discs - ideal for the street performance enthusiast – dual disc w/9.75 inch disc diameter

RST Street Twin Clutch – 800HP / No Torque Rating (not listed in search; info from Summit Racing) Part 6912-25 - Organic lined clutch discs - ideal for the street performance enthusiast – dual disc w/9.75 inch disc diameter

Street Pro Clutch – 400 HP / No Torque Rating - Part 75153 - Mustang 2011 and up 5.0L Coyote – high clamp load pressure plate, an organic disc - cars up with mild engine mods and street tires - single disc w/11.0 inch disc diameter

Super Street Pro Clutch – 550 HP / No Torque Rating - Part 75253 - Mustang 2011 and up 5.0L Coyote – high clamp load pressure plate, a dual faced organic and metallic disc - cars with moderate engine mods and street tires – single disc w/11.0 inch disc diameter

Exedy www.exedyusa.com (2015 Catalog - 2011+ Mustang 5.0)

Stage 1 Organic Clutch (also Mach 500) – No HP Rating / 780 lb-ft clutch; 622 lb-ft @ flywheel; 498 lb-ft @ wheels – Part 07807CSC – 2011 Mustang GT – 3372 lb pressure plate clamp force (40% higher than stock) - very smooth engaging clutch that is going to drive similar to the OEM unit but capable to handle moderate levels of modifications. This is a great option for the “street driver”. - single disc w/11.0 inch disc diameter

Stage 2 Cerametalic Clutch (also Mach 600) - No HP Rating / 930 lb-ft clutch; 734 lb-ft @ flywheel; 587 lb-ft @ wheels – Part 07959CSC - 2011 Mustang GT – 3372 lb pressure plate clamp force (40% higher than stock) - Cushion Button Cerametallic Disc - great choice for the ”street / strip / weekend racer” with applications to handle moderate to aggressive levels of modifications. These units offer a very consistent operation whether being raced or daily driven. - single disc w/11.0 inch disc diameter

Stage 2 Cerametalic Clutch (also Mach 700) - No HP Rating / 734 lb-ft @ flywheel; 587 lb-ft @ wheels – Part 07959PCSC - 2011 Mustang GT – 3372 lb pressure plate clamp force – Paddle Type Cerametallic Disc - great choice for the ”street / strip / weekend racer” with applications to handle moderate to aggressive levels of modifications. These units offer a very consistent operation whether being raced or daily driven. - single disc w/11.0 inch disc diameter

Stage 4 – Twin Cerametallic Clutch - No HP Rating / 1415 lb-ft clutch; 847 lb-ft @ wheels – Part ET04XD - 2011 Mustang GT – 3035 lb pressure plate clamp force - designed for high power street action as well as drag, road and rally racing; lightweight,
chromoly steel flywheel and the famous purple anodized forged aluminum clutch cover -
dual disc w/8.85 inch disc diameter

Spec www.specclutch.com - 2011+ Mustang

Stage 1 Organic – No HP Rating / 550 lb-ft @ flywheel – Part SF501-9 – high clamp pressure plate (30% higher than stock) – high performance organic lining that offers smooth engagement and excellent life - single disc w/11.0 inch disc diameter

Stage 2 Kevlar – No HP Rating / 630 lb-ft @ flywheel – Part SF502-9 – high clamp pressure plate (30% higher than stock) – excellent drivability like the stage 1, but offers slightly longer life and higher torque capacity - single disc w/11.0 inch disc diameter

Stage 2+ Kevlar & Carbon Semi Metalic – No HP Rating / 705 lb-ft @ flywheel – Part SF503H-9 – high clamp pressure plate (30% higher than stock) – drivability and engagement quality characteristic of the stage 2, but with a 15-20% higher torque capacity - single disc w/11.0 inch disc diameter

Stage 3 Carbon Semi Metallic – 6-Puck - No HP Rating / 755 lb-ft @ flywheel – Part SF503-9 – high clamp pressure plate (30% higher than stock) – designed for street and race cars that require an aggressive but streetable engagement and high torque capacity - single disc w/11.0 inch disc diameter

Stage 3+ Carbon Semi Metallic – full face - No HP Rating / 875 lb-ft @ flywheel – Part SF503F-9 – high clamp pressure plate (30% higher than stock) – designed for street and race cars that require an aggressive but streetable engagement and high torque capacity - single disc w/11.0 inch disc diameter

Super Twin, SS Trim - No HP Rating / 900 lb-ft @ flywheel – Part SF50SSTF-2 - Friction is provided by dampened, full-faced carbon graphite discs - for street and track use in cars with extreme horsepower and torque

Super Twin, P Trim - No HP Rating / 1395 lb-ft @ flywheel – Part SF50PTF-2 - Friction is provided by dampened, full-faced carbon graphite discs - for street and track use in cars with extreme horsepower and torque

WOW :eek: thanks for that reply Cherno134 lots to take in haha, I think i know what i'm leaning towards now thanks to you brotha ;D If others are enjoying the Mcleod and it works well i might as well dish out a few extra bucks for the good of the car

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Cherno134: Nice post, lots of good information

Twin Disc, I like the McLeod RST for our cars, but for a single disc, I like the Spec Stage 3 Plus full face disc. Both are overkill for our NA application. I like the Spec because they have superior machining tolerances. They make real nice flywheels.

Enjoy your Boss,
Dave

Cherno134 said:
A couple of Twin Disc Clutch Questions for those who have researched this already:
  • For the Boss 302 engine either stock (444 HP / 380 lb-ft) or with mild power enhancements, what are the technical advantages for a twin disc clutch over a high performance single disc clutch?Not sure of any technical advantages other than what I'll post below. I think the functional advantage is it takes less pressure to depress and disengage.
  • Does the twin disc work better than a single disc at high RPM?
From what I've been told yes. McLeod explained it to me that it's better to have the mass closer to the centerline of the driveline so the centrifugal force is less. Supposedly the centrifugal force of the stock clutch is so great that it keeps the clutch from fully disengaging which in the end causes the shifting issues at high RPM's. All I can say is it worked for me. In the end I think the stock clutch is not up to the task and any quality aftermarket clutch should work fine.
[/list]

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel