The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winter storage of the BOSS.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
When I went to the Lingenfelter Collection in Michigan, they had over 150 cars on Battery Tender brand chargers. Some of them were even branded with manufacturer's logos (Ferrari/Lamborghini/Bentley).

I need to get one for the BOSS as well, now that it will be spending most of its time in the garage.

F.D. Sako said:
less room for air, which carries moisture molecules, that can contaminate your gas.
...and rust metal tanks. I always fill metal gas tanks with gas and Stabil up to the top. Small engines with a plastic gas tank and a carb that is easy to drain I will sometimes store completely empty.

A friend suggested putting a few dryer sheets in the cabin as well as in the engine bay as their scent deters rodents. And shove some steel wool in the exhaust tips also. I don't know if it works, but I didn't have any critters messing around withy car last year either. I also used a batter charger on 2 amp that floats to keep the battery charged as well.

Dryer sheets work very well to deter Mice and rodents. I use them in my horse trailer living quater section. Mice will eat your wireing in the wost spots. So the cost of dryer sheets is well worth it!!

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Ive been using Battery Tender for yrs also, no issues.
The Bubble is www.carcapsule.com... Its 18ft long and has a very small fan that runs constantly, useing very little electric. Air blows in and seeps out through the zipper, My car goes in and comes out perfect, no surface rust, no mice, nothing can dent or scratch it, Absolutely love it.
Wife calls it MY Car Condom...:)

I went to the Auburn car auction over Labor day and the carcapsule guys were showing a new model that is squared off and higher grade. Not on website yet...

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Re: Re: Winter storage of the BOSS.

askjeffro said:
I went to the Auburn car auction over Labor day and the carcapsule guys were showing a new model that is squared off and higher grade. Not on website yet...
That would be great, because mines bulky. Being a square shape would allow it to fit better in garage.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I love my Boss and all but this bubble ain't for me. Here in Colorado, there will be ample days to get the car out once or twice a month in the sunshine and this thing looks more useful for long term storage. I could be wrong. I mean, how do you get the car in and out of it? Is the bottom sealed off too?

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84

TymeSlayer said:
I love my Boss and all but this bubble ain't for me. Here in Colorado, there will be ample days to get the car out once or twice a month in the sunshine and this thing looks more useful for long term storage. I could be wrong. I mean, how do you get the car in and out of it? Is the bottom sealed off too?
You lay it on floor and drive onto it. Then zipper goes all around bottom, unzip it and roll it up over the top and driven off.

unrealford said:
That would be great, because mines bulky. Being a square shape would allow it to fit better in garage.

I did not pay enough attention, but the square system looked like you inflate the frame separately from the bubble. This would permit to inflate the form, drive in and then close up. Would be nice for getting it out too.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
unrealford said:
Once mines in storage with gas, and Stabil, and washed and cleaned. I don't start it, I remove battery and add a battery tender.
qaqapara.jpg

...reminds me of a classic episode from Seinfeld...

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?p=seinfeld+bubble+boy&vid=7719e0e00c637e50d984123c26b717a2&l=4%3A43&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DV.5011575135144426%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D_SULQSL4Cd0&tit=Seinfeld+In+HD+-+The+Bubble+Boy&c=0&sigr=11ajfkls3&back=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Ftablet%2Fs%3Fei%3DUTF-8%26p%3Dseinfeld%2Bbubble%2Bboy%26fr%3Dyfp-hrtab-901&sigb=12gr602ob&ct=p&age=0&&tt=b

Congratulations MAX FIVE 0,
I also use non ethonal pure gas in all my mustangs for winter storage and most of the time for the summer as well. I do not use a stabilizer for winter storage, only time I would use a stabilizer is for long term storage, but thats my opinion.

I hate it but its time to store mine as well. I keep it in a heated garage and hear conflicting ideas about jacking up the car to take weight off the tires. Any ideas?--BTW the car auction and show in Auburn Indiana is really great

With apologies to Boss owners in the great frozen North, my winter storage plans include a track day in mid November, autocross in mid December, road trips in November and December, and driving it to work pretty much every day until Spring. Then it'll get really good. Alabama bosses are fun.

I have mine on a tender

The Ctek brand has been independently tested and seems to be the best on the market

I have to use a tender due to the battery draw from the anti theft trackers we have to fit over here

unrealford said:
The Bubble is www.carcapsule.com... Its 18ft long and has a very small fan that runs constantly, useing very little electric. Air blows in and seeps out through the zipper, My car goes in and comes out perfect, no surface rust, no mice, nothing can dent or scratch it, Absolutely love it.
Wife calls it MY Car Condom...:)

The mice eat your wiring because they like the plastic insulation. I'm surprised they wouldn't eat holes in the plastic bubble.

Wow - "the bubble" for the car looks great.

This is my first winter where the boss will be sleeping in my unheated insulated detached garage. I have a small budget set aside where I was going to be running some wires to a 240 volt heater for a 500 sq ft garage. I was planning on heating the garage over the winter to 40 degrees. With my same budget I can afford the bubble - or the heater but not both (until next year).

I have never stored a car before; it does get very cold here in chicago...which one would be better - heat or bubble. Or either one would be fine. Just curious how damaging the cold can get.

Thanks
JohnA

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel