The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

18" or 19" wheels for track use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cabot, Arkansas
I have a base 2017 GT and I'm wanting an extra set of wheels for track use. Can't decide on 18" or 19". Standard brakes so no issues with clearance, car is lowered with coilovers and currently running 19" wheels with no clearance issues. So it really just comes down to tire and wheel availability. Any helpful information would be welcome.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I think there's more DOT tire options with 19". Nankang AR1's are great value, DOT legal, good grip and wear very well but really not good in the wet. Vredestein Vorti R's are a great dual purpose tire, street legal and work like a champ on track. If you can find them. They wear extremely well and are decent in the wet too. There's also high buck stuff from Michelin and Goodyear.
With 18s its pretty much limited to take off race tires, which is not necessarily a big handicap if you can get used race tires. They're not much available where I live, so the 19's work better for me.

I have a base 2017 GT and I'm wanting an extra set of wheels for track use. Can't decide on 18" or 19". Standard brakes so no issues with clearance, car is lowered with coilovers and currently running 19" wheels with no clearance issues. So it really just comes down to tire and wheel availability. Any helpful information would be welcome.
BTW.. would you happen to know anyone named Odom, in Cabot, Ar?
I remember both the old Ford and Chevy dealerships that were downtown and were destroyed by the tornado.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
We all get caught up in blanket statements because at any one time during the last few years it seems there are more tires in one size or another. The two keys we forgot to ask is what size wheels do you plan on using and are you looking for a track only tire, or one that would work well also for autocrossing? There are a bunch of choices and , yes, if you want to run used slicks the 18s are really the absolute best way to go. Give us a bit more info as well as how wide you want to put on your Mustang and then watch even more choices pop up.

Thank you!
Are they typically a one weekend and done tire or can you get a couple events out of them?

The buying prices are exciting but their life has me concerned.
They run the gamut, Phoenix and Kohr keep track of the mileage not sure about the rest FWIW the Michelins in IMSA only start around 3 to 3.5mm tread depth and you can run them to the cords. Pirellis are decent but when they go, they dump seconds per lap. Hoosiers are always good. Phoenix runs a bunch of T1, T2 and T3 stuff so they should have everything from 275 to 315s

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Another trick is to toss a feeler out to IMSA teams and see if you can't pre-arrange picking/shipping sets, because if you think about it, you're providing some value as they just toss you theirs and don't have to post up on the internet and deal with all that mess of literal tire kickers. I got a palette of like 4 sets from a team at a better-than-usual discount, and that pretty much lasted me all my hpde/non-race days this past year.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cabot, Arkansas
BTW.. would you happen to know anyone named Odom, in Cabot, Ar?
I remember both the old Ford and Chevy dealerships that were downtown and were destroyed by the tornado.
Nope, don't know an Odom. The old chevy dealership is still were it's always been, at least since 1984, but its a used car dealership now. And the Ford dealership has moved across the highway and changed names.

Nope, don't know an Odom. The old chevy dealership is still were it's always been, at least since 1984, but its a used car dealership now. And the Ford dealership has moved across the highway and changed names.
My uncle was a salesman at the Ford dealership, they had a Boss 302 in their showroom and the Chevy dealer had a Camaro RS convertible pace car in theirs.

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
I wrote this article a few years ago: https://www.apexraceparts.com/blog/18-vs-19-wheels-which-is-right-for-you/

While pricing has changed, the overall theme still holds true. To correctly determine which diameter you want to run, you need to choose the tire first. For slicks or Hoosier style R comps, 18" is the way to go for cost alone. But for many 200TW classes, 19" makes sense in many cases.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cabot, Arkansas
I wrote this article a few years ago: https://www.apexraceparts.com/blog/18-vs-19-wheels-which-is-right-for-you/

While pricing has changed, the overall theme still holds true. To correctly determine which diameter you want to run, you need to choose the tire first. For slicks or Hoosier style R comps, 18" is the way to go for cost alone. But for many 200TW classes, 19" makes sense in many cases.
The 200tw class will be the class of tire I will be going with for now due to running autocross as well as the occasional track day. After doing some tire shopping I was beginning to think the same thing on availability.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Availability of performance tires can be sketchy this time of year. Manufacturers may not be scheduling production of 200TW or DOT race tires until early next year, especially if there will be a compound or model change in the new year. Ran into this trying to get a set of Toyo Proxes R1R for a Miata las month - Tire Rack is out and they don't expect to get any until around late Feb. or early March.

TMO Supporting Vendors