The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2011 V6 6-Speed Mustang for Endurance Racing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Maryland
Highly recommend the TrackSpec cage. They used my car to design the S197 kit, with emphasis on headroom for taller drivers. They put together a really nice YouTube video on the design process if you haven’t seen it yet.

Thank you! Havent seen that video before.

Any options that you consider absolutely necessary?

We would have to option the .120 wall tube to meet Champ Car rules.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Thank you! Havent seen that video before.

Any options that you consider absolutely necessary?

We would have to option the .120 wall tube to meet Champ Car rules.
Yeah, I took the .120 weight penalty as well to make sure the car is NASA ST compliant. I went with the GT4 style door bars so that I could keep the side glass for now - still towing on an open trailer. A lot of guys like the NASCAR style door bars for easier ingress/egress and to get the bars out away from the driver, but the doors must be gutted. Probably not a big deal in your case. John Nguyen is the owner - I would give him a call and talk through the specifics of your rule set and he’ll make sure you get the right setup.

Id think the 3.7 and 4.6 3 valve are around the same weight/power with the V8 having slightly more torque. But maybe the V6 is lighter and equal power/fuel tank size would equate to a larger VPI. Im sure you will get farther on a tank than we will. Last car would go a full 2 hours before the gas light would start to flicker. Gave us a fighting chance against the ridiculously fast NC Miata's in Class B.

3384lbs doesnt seem excessively heavy for a race weight. What is the goal weight you are shooting for? Sub-3000?

Also, who did your cage? We went with an S&W custom bent kit on the last car and i wont do that again. Watson Racing and Track Spec have the 3d scanned cage kits that seem like a good option. I dont think they come with sill bars but everything else exceeds Champ requirements. We have a welder who is competent to install it. Might get us under $4k OTD for the cage installed versus $6000+ for a pro to custom bend one.

We can go 1.5 hours on a tank at Daytona and 1.75 at Hallett, but it's driver dependent. More aggressive drivers burn it off faster and we had one guy that coasted in at the 1.5 hour mark...most everyone else had a gallon or so left. My run, the AdvanceTrak popped on, which slows you down but also seems to use less fuel.

I don't think that 3384 weight is crazy bad, we just want to lighten if we can. Maybe not sub-3000, and we don't really have a specific goal in mind. We just want to shave off whatever is possible.

We used a Rhodes off-the-shelf kit for around $1000 and installed ourselves. Highly don't recommend that route. It didn't fit very "snug" to the car and we had to do a lot of work to fit me in (and I'm only 6'1"). But we were time-limited, and we got it done, so.

Not enough negative camber is not just about excessive shoulder wear, the bigger issue is you're losing corner speed. There is an old adage in racing sedans that there is virtually no such thing as too much negative camber. There is, but it's well above -4 degrees. I've never had issues with twitchy cars and I've always run the maximum negative camber I could get. This goes back to 1989 for me, and nothing's changed today.

Preaching to the choir my friend! I run -3* in my SN95. It's the rest of the team that won't listen to reason. We are leaving time and tire wear both on the table. No doubt about that.

Yeah, I took the .120 weight penalty as well to make sure the car is NASA ST compliant. I went with the GT4 style door bars so that I could keep the side glass for now - still towing on an open trailer. A lot of guys like the NASCAR style door bars for easier ingress/egress and to get the bars out away from the driver, but the doors must be gutted. Probably not a big deal in your case. John Nguyen is the owner - I would give him a call and talk through the specifics of your rule set and he’ll make sure you get the right setup.

We did 1.75x.120" for the same reason. We did do NASCAR style bars and they are GREAT for getting in and out. I'm a BIG guy, and I have no issues.

There's also that little bit of added safety from increased crush space, if you care about that sort of thing 😉

TMO Supporting Vendors