The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2020+ GT500 - Swap base seats for Recaros?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Atlanta GA
I searched but must not be hitting the right combination of words, and there is a lot of confusing (at least to me) info out there on the interweb.

2021 GT500. I'm considering swapping my base seats for Recaros, as I track (road course) my car and would like to up my safety game. What is involved in that swap? I know I'll lose the heating/cooling and power -- trying to understand if there are any wiring or plug modifications or "gotchas" with this swap. Will this cause any warning lights, loss of or reduced airbag capability, etc, etc.??

Open to thoughts on other race/fixed seats. Seems like that is even more involved with base seats harness, airbags, etc..

Thanks!

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Once you get making big time grip and g's the Recaros will not be enough. I had them in my '16 and once the car was really working on 305 slicks and race suspension they were overwhelmed. I put in 6 point harnesses with Corbeau race seats and that solved the problem.

I am back to the Recaros now in the Mach 1 and they are fine, but that's on stock everything, including tires that are 40mm less width than what I had on the '16.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Atlanta GA
I’m not sure if the connectors connect but they should. Otherwise its normal swap.

I did that type of swap in my 2018 gt. You have to swap out the air bladders from your std seat with the ones from the Recaros. Then everything will work. It is not that hard.

Once you get making big time grip and g's the Recaros will not be enough. I had them in my '16 and once the car was really working on 305 slicks and race suspension they were overwhelmed. I put in 6 point harnesses with Corbeau race seats and that solved the problem.

I am back to the Recaros now in the Mach 1 and they are fine, but that's on stock everything, including tires that are 40mm less width than what I had on the '16.

I've got a thread going over on here. Swap to Recaros looks to be the simplest route.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel