The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 2020 Heritage GT350R Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West palm beach
Also if you’re running a hans, get the 2’’ shoulder straps. Mine are 3’’ and they roll up on the inside and are annoying.

I have only run the hans a couple times. I don’t need it so far for the HPDE sessions I have been running. But that’s a good tip to look out for.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West palm beach
I’m looking at a lightweight seat to replace my stock seat. Part of getting to my goal weight will be to change out the seats for some carbon composite stuff. Driver seat i believe it 48lbs and passenger is 45lbs.

some of the seats I have seen are around 13-15lbs + brackets. It’s a solid 45 lb drop with lightweight race seats.

And if I want to get even lower I can run just the driver seat.

has anyone changed out their recaros yet? Looking for a street/track hybrid. Comfy enough that if I wanted to take it out for the day it wouldn’t kill me.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I have only run the hans a couple times. I don’t need it so far for the HPDE sessions I have been running. But that’s a good tip to look out for.

You don't need it until you do. An off at 100 mph in HPDE is the same as an off at 100 mph in a race, especially if you're wearing a harness. Highly recommend to make it a habit early, especially in HPDE since that's where you're building habits anyways.

Run Michelin slicks or Hoosiers with a separate set of wheels . Way better than any Sport Cup. Put stock wheels on to go to and from track.

You should figure out what class you want to race and build for that class. Anything beyond time attackyou will need full cage.

Also as noted use a Hans. Speed is speed and a crash is a crash.

Your enthusiasm is great but slow down and pick a direction first. Put money into driving with a good coach then decide where you want to compete and in what class. Wheel to wheel or time attack. To different worlds. Maybe even attend a race school. You will be amazed at what you didn’t know. I was.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West palm beach
Run Michelin slicks or Hoosiers with a separate set of wheels . Way better than any Sport Cup. Put stock wheels on to go to and from track.

You should figure out what class you want to race and build for that class. Anything beyond time attackyou will need full cage.

Also as noted use a Hans. Speed is speed and a crash is a crash.

Your enthusiasm is great but slow down and pick a direction first. Put money into driving with a good coach then decide where you want to compete and in what class. Wheel to wheel or time attack. To different worlds. Maybe even attend a race school. You will be amazed at what you didn’t know. I was.

I agree on picking a direction. I still haven’t decided what the end game for the car is.

I am slowing the pace down. That’s why I’m putting the power adder aside for right now.

im enjoying just being at the track and racing right now. As for competing I haven’t thought about that yet. I want to just keep driving and keep getting better. As for the weight mods I am doing, they are mods I want to do personally for the car. If I can strip weight and still keep the streetability, then I will do that.

when I decide about actually doing some competition, I’ll either sort it out with this car or just build something else with strict focus on that class.

I just want to go faster! But I am learning to slow down before I add more and more to the car in terms of power. I want to get myself better first, because what’s the point of adding power or making changes to the car if I’m not good enough to tell the differences on what is needed or if the mod is actually making me better, or worse.

the way the car sits now is how I’m going to leave it for a few months. By the time I get all the carbon in, and then get it painted up. Will take afew months any way.

once my race engine is done, I got some time to decide before I drop it in.

which Michelin or Hoosier slicks do you recommend. I’m trying to decide for a good track only tire. I’m about to switch to my third set of tires and when these are done, I got to pick something else.

thanks for the advice, and the advice of everyone else so far.

I agree on picking a direction. I still haven’t decided what the end game for the car is.

I am slowing the pace down. That’s why I’m putting the power adder aside for right now.

im enjoying just being at the track and racing right now. As for competing I haven’t thought about that yet. I want to just keep driving and keep getting better. As for the weight mods I am doing, they are mods I want to do personally for the car. If I can strip weight and still keep the streetability, then I will do that.

when I decide about actually doing some competition, I’ll either sort it out with this car or just build something else with strict focus on that class.

I just want to go faster! But I am learning to slow down before I add more and more to the car in terms of power. I want to get myself better first, because what’s the point of adding power or making changes to the car if I’m not good enough to tell the differences on what is needed or if the mod is actually making me better, or worse.

the way the car sits now is how I’m going to leave it for a few months. By the time I get all the carbon in, and then get it painted up. Will take afew months any way.

once my race engine is done, I got some time to decide before I drop it in.

which Michelin or Hoosier slicks do you recommend. I’m trying to decide for a good track only tire. I’m about to switch to my third set of tires and when these are done, I got to pick something else.

thanks for the advice, and the advice of everyone else so far.

AB12D4CE-80CA-4038-8372-47EDEFD61BFC.jpeg

B5DEDF85-B719-4F03-8830-B8191F16302D.jpeg
Michelin Pilot Sport slicks. IMSA scrubs.
We also ran Hoosier A7s. Don’t last quite as long as R7 s but sticker.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West palm beach
View attachment 62815

View attachment 62816
Michelin Pilot Sport slicks. IMSA scrubs.
We also ran Hoosier A7s. Don’t last quite as long as R7 s but sticker.

looks like the majority of choices is in an 18” wheel.

doesn’t make much use out of these carbon R wheels.

I do need a second set of wheels. Would like something close to the weight of my current R wheels. From what I’m reading a square setup is best so I can move the tires around to maximize wear.

looks like the majority of choices is in an 18” wheel.

doesn’t make much use out of these carbon R wheels.

I do need a second set of wheels. Would like something close to the weight of my current R wheels. From what I’m reading a square setup is best so I can move the tires around to maximize wear.

You will have more tire selection options in 18 in both wheels and tires.

Those carbon wheels are nice eye candy but do you really want to booger them up with hard core track use? They are very expensive.
If your going serious just understand it’s not a matter of if but when you will have an “off”. You don’t get better without trying to push.
Changing to 18s will give you more options. Brembo and others make killer 14” brake kits.
Like I said. Pick a direction before you start throwing $ around then go in that direction. May take time to decide.
For now put your $ into you. Invest in more track time. Get a coach. Attend a race school. Then build the car around you.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
For now put your $ into you. Invest in more track time. Get a coach. Attend a race school. Then build the car around you.
Fantastic Advice!! I worked overseas when I bought my Boss. Putting money into the car was easy. Scheduling time with a good coach was hard. I did not progress until I got time to get with a good coach and Listened to him.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West palm beach
no one thinks they need one.....til they need one.View attachment 62832

dude I was reading through your entire thread a couple weeks ago when I saw that. My stomach dropped when I saw the picture. I was so bummed for you man. I even told my dad about it was Explaining it. He was bummed also. I can definitely see how it’s possible, especially when you feel more confident behind the wheel you just keep pushing the car harder and harder.

much respect for you to post it up and show us the mistake, and also respect for continuing to work on the car and keep going.

TMO Supporting Vendors