The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 2020 Heritage GT350R Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West palm beach
Diff and trans should be changed. 10 hours is a good rule of thumb. OP Mustang has kits with top of the line products. Many of us run the Castrol SRF brake fluid.

question on the choices for diff fluid. There’s the 75w 90 and 75w 140. Which one is better for my car? The thicker oil is supposed to be for more long distance racing and heavy abuse. Do these 30min sessions we run constitute long distance and heavy abuse? Or will the 90 be fine?

also run it with or without the additive? I’m assuming because of my track use without the additive is better? But for street use the additive is better for keeping the diff quiet. So again, just trying to learn thanks

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West palm beach
Got the shaft in. Went in like a breeze. All
Tightened up.

took weights for everyone to keep track of.
I didn’t add the bolts to the stock shaft scale. But they add 1/2 a lb.

So total weight of stock shaft is 31

total weight of carbon shaft is 20 lbs

that’s an 11 lbs weight savings on the driveshaft. That’s gonna feel nice and smooth through the driveline. Need to take it for a spin tomorrow and see how it feels. Hopefully no crazy NVH.

E559F356-AE77-4F79-B7A1-C0D02B2BA667.jpegC49C0CD7-5F63-4EE9-819B-493213B30BB9.jpeg
nice choice. I went with aluminum after @blacksheep-1 mentioned hes seen cf ones come apart

I’ve run both while drag racing. I’ve had each type let go. Would rather a carbon shaft let go than aluminum. I didn’t build up heat like I do road racing. So curious to see how the carbon shaft handles it. Time will tell.

I know from drag racing to check those driveshaft bolts frequently. Even with locktite they can back out.

Yeah, I mean it's a weight saver, but it's at the lowest point in the car, and that weight doesn't act like a lightened flywheel because the rotational forces are centered around a small diameter. If you had the older S197, it has the 2 piece driveshaft with the center bearing, so there's a lot of weight and more pieces to break.. Since I work on the GT4 cars, they have aluminum shafts without any center support, I'm not sure if the road cars do , or do not. I'm trying to think, and I don't ever remember seeing any road race car run a carbon shaft, not the mustangs, the astin or the corvettes I've worked on.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West palm beach
Yeah, I mean it's a weight saver, but it's at the lowest point in the car, and that weight doesn't act like a lightened flywheel because the rotational forces are centered around a small diameter. If you had the older S197, it has the 2 piece driveshaft with the center bearing, so there's a lot of weight and more pieces to break.. Since I work on the GT4 cars, they have aluminum shafts without any center support, I'm not sure if the road cars do , or do not. I'm trying to think, and I don't ever remember seeing any road race car run a carbon shaft, not the mustangs, the astin or the corvettes I've worked on.

there is no center support for the carbon shaft. Only on the stock 2 piece did it have the center support.

I know some street guys who daily drive their carbon shafts like crazy have had them come apart, could have been the constant heat cycles, or just random failure.

when speaking to qa1 they said this would be fine for road racing. We will see.

pretty Sure the 2020 gt500 my dad has, has got a QA1 carbon tube in it from the factory

that’s why I went with the carbon over aluminum, I figured if it was good for the engineers to go carbon on the gt500 it good work on the gt350

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West palm beach

pretty badass you work on the GT4 cars. Wow.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I have the CF DSS on my '12 Boss and so far no problems. On my first aluminum one-piece one from DSS, developed issues on my way out to Las Vegas Motor Speedway road course but did not come apart. I suppose one could have issues with either one. Of course, it's always part of the standard check list of things to inspect before hitting the track.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West palm beach
Already at 4300 miles today. Driving this car allot. Only been driving for 2 1/2 months. What an awesome ride.

here’s an update on the carbon fiber for the car. Speedkore is already working on my stuff.

wish Anderson composites was this fast. I probably won’t see those parts till may. But all is good, I need to find a good painter who can get all this done for me then have the car restriped.

if anyone is interested in the costs for these parts let me know I can post up.

also I will be recording all the weight when I receive everything

F808AD78-3DAB-45E5-A56F-09883C321C8F.jpeg478EC46D-1E8A-4F98-A6B7-E095188400DC.jpeg04920E90-BBF2-485C-868C-A343D287EF9A.jpeg448BE278-5974-47A2-A47B-8C89BDF3774E.jpegF0AF8B3C-BD99-4F6B-A092-9238C62D449E.jpeg3A2CD7F4-7F85-4809-BECC-43E6A724ECC4.jpegC1F90098-DFAD-4E63-9E3F-6F27729CFBFC.jpeg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West palm beach
Front bumper, rear bumper,drivers door/fender/quarter panel

If you haven’t bought all the panels yet,

I can give you the guy at speedkore Info I’m dealing with. He’s been hooking me up with deals on panels.

ive been going with a wet layup on the carbon which is cheaper than doing the normal process. I’m painting over the panels so that’s why I don’t care. He also hooked me up with some blemmed Panels and gave me discounts on those as well.

let me know bud.

If you haven’t bought all the panels yet,

I can give you the guy at speedkore Info I’m dealing with. He’s been hooking me up with deals on panels.

ive been going with a wet layup on the carbon which is cheaper than doing the normal process. I’m painting over the panels so that’s why I don’t care. He also hooked me up with some blemmed Panels and gave me discounts on those as well.

let me know bud.
Well the cars done soooooooo maybe next crash 😂😂😂😂

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel