The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

22PLE coat 1 on

Did a quick 1 step with Lake Country CCS white pad and M205 with the Rupes 21 in Justin's garage today. Got pretty much all the light swirling I had out. Still have solvent pop but nothing can really be done about it. Regardless it's very very mild and only OCD people like me can even see it.

Put the 22ple down after the polish and took some pics. Turned out pretty good. Just waiting for it to cure up and it should get a little slicker/shinier. Keep in mind there's no LSP on yet either.

bZqhgGE.jpg
gPqCs8U.jpg
8V0lhdK.jpg
pOUCOSD.jpg
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
killerwill13 said:
Looking good!!! Btw Justin I'm fairly certain you'd be hurting the 22ple by putting a glaze on top of it.
hmm how would the glaze hurt it? I was thinking mostly over the vinyl since it has swirls that I cant get out.
 
Justin said:
hmm how would the glaze hurt it? I was thinking mostly over the vinyl since it has swirls that I cant get out.
Mainly do to the fact that a majority of glazes with filling properties have some sort of abrasive ability as well so you'd be taking off the 22ple.

It's just a basic fact you use glaze before any sealant or wax, since most glazes are used as wax and sealant removers/pre treatments.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
killerwill13 said:
Mainly do to the fact that a majority of glazes with filling properties have some sort of abrasive ability as well so you'd be taking off the 22ple.

It's just a basic fact you use glaze before any sealant or wax, since most glazes are used as wax and sealant removers/pre treatments.
oh ok I get you. I would be using Adams brilliant glaze. Wonder if it contains abrasives.
 
Justin said:
oh ok I get you. I would be using Adams brilliant glaze. Wonder if it contains abrasives.

I would say that one does not from reading the description on their website.. But it does say specifically after polishing so I'd say they are following the standard rule of thumb. Wash, clay, compound, swirl remover, polish, glaze, sealant, and finally wax. Which implies it has some correction ability?(IMO) with its filling properties.
 
F.D. Sako said:
I thought glazes were non-abrasive "polishes" to enhance shine. Polishes, cleaner waxes were abrasive.

I have been trying to find a proper description of a "glaze" for almost a year now and I have not found a good answer. I know it is an optional step on a new car, but you really only need a glaze to bring back color and give a gloss. Now saying that most glazes are like polishes in what the end goal is, but do it with a blend of ways, such as smoothing and filling swirls or just filling swirls, while polishes smooth out swirls.

I have also seen that glazes are also used to remove old layers of was... which does not make sense to me since claying, polishing and compounding in a situation where you would use a glaze would have already done it.

And this all changes when you use products that are all in ones too....

SO basically I'm saying when you do use glazes just use them after polishing and before sealing/waxing.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
killerwill13 said:
I would say that one does not from reading the description on their website.. But it does say specifically after polishing so I'd say they are following the standard rule of thumb. Wash, clay, compound, swirl remover, polish, glaze, sealant, and finally wax. Which implies it has some correction ability?(IMO) with its filling properties.
on the bottle it says it can be applied over wax I do believe. and in one of their forum videos they recommend it for applying to vinyl decals to hide swirls as it wont damage the vinyl. Guess there is only one way to find out. apply it and see what happens lol
 
Adam's Brilliant Glaze does have some slight cleaning properties in it. It will not strip wax but if applied over Americana for instance it will shorten the life of the coat. That being said, I would have no issues with applying it over 22ple. The coating is supposed to last until you buff it off. If I can take it off by just applying Brilliant Glaze over it then I just wasted over $100 as I could have just put on wax.
 
I'm just saying what I know from using glazes... I wouldn't do it IMO.

I would not say there is ever a perfect protection layer on a car besides clearcoat itself that's why.

I'm also the type who refuses to use one of the treatments like 22ple on my Boss, I will use it on other cars in my fleet, but my Boss I like testing different waxes on it and I polish it each time so it makes zero sense for me to put 22ple on it.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
killerwill13 said:
I'm just saying what I know from using glazes... I wouldn't do it IMO.

I would not say there is ever a perfect protection layer on a car besides clearcoat itself that's why.

I'm also the type who refuses to use one of the treatments like 22ple on my Boss, I will use it on other cars in my fleet, but my Boss I like testing different waxes on it and I polish it each time so it makes zero sense for me to put 22ple on it.
yeah there is more then one way to skin a cat. :) I like to try new things on the wifes car first in most cases.

For me being on sea duty and with the way the navy is doing more with less that means I am out and gone more and more each passing year. so I dont always have the time to apply wax one every 2 months. Thats why I went with giving the 22ple a shot on my boss. so at the very least if I am not there to keep coats of wax or zaino on it it will at least have something on it to protect it.

I think that the 22ple is a good coating for those that dont do much car detailing and want protection that will last more than a couple of months.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top