The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

24 Hrs of Lemons @ ECR-Texas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My son and a friend ran a LeMons car for a couple of years and I drove for them twice. It is a lot of fun.

I've had several people ask me about LeMons, and the message I always send is: do it *if* you can afford it. While this is probably the cheapest form of road racing you can do, it is not inexpensive. By the time you fit a car with a real live racing-quality roll cage, all the safety gear (HANS required now), get several sets of tires, brakes, gas, food for the weekend, trailers, tools, gas cans, lodging, entry fees, race suits (full SFI fire suit required), etc., it is a very expensive weekend to do from scratch. The problem in Colorado is that it is so far to the other venues that running many races is not very practical unless you treat it as a real hobby, have a lot of time to travel, and a lot of cash. Having a LeMons-only car running one of two races a year doesn't make a lot of sense to me, and ultimately it didn't make sense to my son either. If you are going to spend the kind of money required to get a LeMons car through a bunch of races traveling out of Colorado, you could run a "real" racing series like Spec Miata. (not *winning* SM, but having fun). The real costs end up being consumables, gas, transport, safety gear, licenses, entry fees, lodging, etc. By the time you fit out most beaters to LeMons rules, you could have bought or built a decent mid-pack sorted out Spec Miata car. The rest of the costs are similar.

TMO Supporting Vendors