The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

315 R6s on all four corners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Mad Hatter said:
Has anybody noticed any significant change to their lap times with the 315's??

The new 315 R7s were worth 2.5 seconds over 305 PZero Slicks at Willow Springs, but the PZeros had 10 cycles put on them by me after I bought them used, and at a new track for me.

I'll be at a familiar track this weekend and will have some times for a more direct comparison--but I think I will set some new personal bests.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
ArizonaBOSS said:
The new 315 R7s were worth 2.5 seconds over 305 PZero Slicks at Willow Springs, but the PZeros had 10 cycles put on them by me after I bought them used, and at a new track for me.

I'll be at a familiar track this weekend and will have some times for a more direct comparison--but I think I will set some new personal bests.

Holy $*&(!

Looking forward to those results! 8)

Mad Hatter said:
Has anybody noticed any significant change to their lap times with the 315's??
Great question. A friend of mine ran them last year at MPH and gained 1.0 seconds over 275 R6s the prior year. Not sure how much I would gain going from 295/315 to 315 square especially if I up the wheel sizes on the same tires. I gained about 1.2 seconds going from used 285/305 Conti slicks to new 295/315 R6s. This is on a track where I have 1000 laps so pretty stable lap times.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
I am going to guess a lot of that is new versus used tires and track familiarity. You should get some gain, but not that much.

Agreed. I'll have some more relevant comparison on a track I'm familiar with this weekend.

Grant 302

ArizonaBOSS said:
Agreed. I'll have some more relevant comparison on a track I'm familiar with this weekend.

Understood, guys! That's why I'm looking forward to the upcoming results! Otherwise I'd just plan on the R7s for my next set. I'm already pleased with the Pirelli DH 305s...just wondering how much they might have dropped off after 10 heat cycles.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Grant 302 said:
Understood, guys! That's why I'm looking forward to the upcoming results! Otherwise I'd just plan on the R7s for my next set. I'm already pleased with the Pirelli DH 305s...just wondering how much they might have dropped off after 10 heat cycles.

FWIW the DHs seemed to not drop off much at all in my experience. I have no idea what they were like brand new (must have been amazing) but I was able to match my times at a familiar track in their 6th or 7th cycle (from me) on them in January. Corded them at Willow on 10th or 11th cycle, though.

Tulsa, OK
ArizonaBOSS said:
FWIW the DHs seemed to not drop off much at all in my experience. I have no idea what they were like brand new (must have been amazing) but I was able to match my times at a familiar track in their 6th or 7th cycle (from me) on them in January. Corded them at Willow on 10th or 11th cycle, though.

I was going to say something similar. I buy them used as well, and my last set was just as fast right before the tread separated as they were when I first got them. I get TONS of life out of them, too. Magic tires.

roadhouse said:
I was going to say something similar. I buy them used as well, and my last set was just as fast right before the tread separated as they were when I first got them. I get TONS of life out of them, too. Magic tires.
Do they fit up front just fine?

Grant 302

Good to know...thanks for sharing your experiences.

cloud9 said:
Do they fit up front just fine?

Lots of room with the 305/645s, and I'm sure 660s wouldn't be an issue either. Didn't try the 680s up front, but they fit great in the back.

roadhouse said:
Yep. The 305s really measure more like a 285 and fit really well on a 10" wheel. I'm sure you could find them in a wider size to fit those new Forgestars ;D
Thanks guys.......I'm sure I could but would want to know they fit :D Is an 11" wheel too big for the 305? I would probably still run something wider in the rear on the 12s.

Grant 302

cloud9 said:
Thanks guys.......I'm sure I could but would want to know they fit :D Is an 11" wheel too big for the 305? I would probably still run something wider in the rear on the 12s.

They're listed for running up to an 11.5" rim. I'm thinking of running them on 11" too. I am gunning to use a 12" with the fender roll and the CorteX offset... eventually.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Beware--if you're going to be buying used DH slicks now, they come in both a "Front" tire and a rear "Drive" tire for this latest PWC season. So you will not be able to rotate them (doesn't sound like a problem if you are running staggered wheels).

Tulsa, OK
ArizonaBOSS said:
Beware--if you're going to be buying used DH slicks now, they come in both a "Front" tire and a rear "Drive" tire for this latest PWC season. So you will not be able to rotate them (doesn't sound like a problem if you are running staggered wheels).

Seriously? That kind of sucks... I may try out a 295/30 R7 this year since I like to be able to rotate.

Grant 302

ArizonaBOSS said:

They're structurally different? Thanks for the heads up.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
roadhouse said:
Seriously? That kind of sucks... I may try out a 295/30 R7 this year since I like to be able to rotate.

Grant 302 said:
They're structurally different? Thanks for the heads up.

This is what my PWC contacts have told me. I don't know the specifics, just beware.

@blacksheep-1 you got any details on these nowadays?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
roadhouse said:

Only downside to there is your overall height will be short. I think the 25.5" height of the 645 or 315/30 is as low as I want to go.

roadhouse said:
You're probably right. May be too low
I didn't care for them in the rear Logan. Running them up front is fine, but you run out of gear pretty quickly using them on the rears so probably not a great option for a square setup. They might work fine on a short track.

TMO Supporting Vendors