The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

3rd Annual Mustang/Ford Roundup September 20-22, 2013 Motorsports Park Hastings!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks again for all of you that attended. I'm not sure how we keep getting the great weather, for the last 3 years you couldn't ask for much nicer conditions. Each year it gets bigger and it is an evolving event. Track time is a big part of it and the making it a "3 Driving Disciplines" event poses challenges. The autocross is a fun piece, but it will kill the track time for a half day. Stretching it by a day may be the answer, run the autocross Thursday afternoon for those that want to come early and take a shot at it?? Keep tossing out suggestions and George and the guys will try their best to make it the best it can be for everyone.

Sunday's breakthrough was gridding the cars by lap times and sending them out organized in order of ascending time....everyone had a quick rabbit in front of them and the track team sent them out in a hurry to keep the gaps nice and you had the best opportunity to make several consistent clean fast laps. That's normally quite hard to do with 20 cars on the track.

The big challenge in an event like this.....Car Classes, pretty much the problem in almost any motorsport. We tried something a little different to spread out competition....still not perfect, but better than dumping them all in one group like the first year.

How about this for a twist: If you won your class this year and come back next year...you get bumped up, regardless of the class definition :'( I'll have the only "Race" Car with carpet and doorpanels, but maybe that makes sense to keep spreading out the competition.

Tulsa, OK
The driving school on Friday was great and really helped me out. It was nice to learn the track at slow pace and then gradually build up speed. Trackguys and Chicane23 put on a great school. Shout out to Bill Pemberton for showing the "proper" lines too ;D

roadhouse said:
The driving school on Friday was great and really helped me out. It was nice to learn the track at slow pace and then gradually build up speed. Trackguys and Chicane23 put on a great school. Shout out to Bill Pemberton for showing the "proper" lines too ;D

You were smart to do the driving school. In retro spec, I would have been well served to have done the same to have someone drive with me to help me learn the lines.

KRost said:
Thanks again for all of you that attended. I'm not sure how we keep getting the great weather, for the last 3 years you couldn't ask for much nicer conditions. Each year it gets bigger and it is an evolving event. Track time is a big part of it and the making it a "3 Driving Disciplines" event poses challenges. The autocross is a fun piece, but it will kill the track time for a half day. Stretching it by a day may be the answer, run the autocross Thursday afternoon for those that want to come early and take a shot at it?? Keep tossing out suggestions and George and the guys will try their best to make it the best it can be for everyone.

Sunday's breakthrough was gridding the cars by lap times and sending them out organized in order of ascending time....everyone had a quick rabbit in front of them and the track team sent them out in a hurry to keep the gaps nice and you had the best opportunity to make several consistent clean fast laps. That's normally quite hard to do with 20 cars on the track.

The big challenge in an event like this.....Car Classes, pretty much the problem in almost any motorsport. We tried something a little different to spread out competition....still not perfect, but better than dumping them all in one group like the first year.

How about this for a twist: If you won your class this year and come back next year...you get bumped up, regardless of the class definition :'( I'll have the only "Race" Car with carpet and doorpanels, but maybe that makes sense to keep spreading out the competition.
All great suggestions Kevin. As far as bumping classes, makes sense but I might have to ditch the A/C and upgrade to coilovers since I'd have to go up against JS.....I better start practicing now. :eek:

George has results up at http://www.racemph.com/schedule/mustang-roundup-boss-reunion-2013-2/

[pdf]http://www.racemph.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Mustang-Roundup-2013-FRiday-PM-Fun-Laps.pdf[/pdf]

[pdf]http://www.racemph.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Mustang-Roundup-2013-Saturday-AM-Laps-for-Points.pdf[/pdf]

[pdf]http://www.racemph.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Mustang-Roundup-2013-Saturday-PM-AutoCross-Laps-for-Points.pdf
[/pdf]

[pdf]http://www.racemph.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Mustang-Roundup-2013-Sunday-AM-Laps-for-Points.pdf[/pdf]

[pdf]http://www.racemph.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Mustang-Roundup-2013-Trophy-Winners-by-Numbers-9-22-13.pdf
[/pdf]

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Really glad I came...met a lot of cool people and had a blast. I hope to make it again next year even if it was 1700 miles round trip. I'm home now but I don't want to sit in a car again for a week. Thanks Gary for selling me your tires and I hope to use them next season. For now I'll just sleep with them in bed to keep them nice and warm for next year :)

Is there a secret location to put the transponder? I wore it around my neck but for the entire weekend it only counted 14 laps and I know I did at least 50 laps in my 5 sessions. I think I need to invest in an external transponder mount or maybe the battery was just going dead? Nobody could keep up with Gary anyways. Thanks again guys for a great weekend.

Flyboygsxr said:
Really glad I came...met a lot of cool people and had a blast. I hope to make it again next year even if it was 1700 miles round trip. I'm home now but I don't want to sit in a car again for a week. Thanks Gary for selling me your tires and I hope to use them next season. For now I'll just sleep with them in bed to keep them nice and warm for next year :)

Is there a secret location to put the transponder? I wore it around my neck but for the entire weekend it only counted 14 laps and I know I did at least 50 laps in my 5 sessions. I think I need to invest in an external transponder mount or maybe the battery was just going dead? Nobody could keep up with Gary anyways. Thanks again guys for a great weekend.
Thanks again for coming Adam. It was great meeting you and thanks for your service and keeping us safe here at home. My buddy Chad showed me a perfect spot for the transponder and it's worked every time for me. Just throw it in the map pocket on the passenger side door. ;) Look forward to seeing you next year again.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
cloud9 said:
All great suggestions Kevin. As far as bumping classes, makes sense but I might have to ditch the A/C and upgrade to coilovers since I'd have to go up against JS.....I better start practicing now. :eek:

I think we should (all) be limited to one set of tires for the weekend :)

Oh yeah... and you might as well spring for double-adjustables while you are at it (hint).

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Hats off to John Lechner for letting me run his Boss in the Autocross. Just wanted to publicly thank him as gave me a chance to get a little track time since I did not bring my car this year.

Also huge thanks to the participants and the Ford Engineers, who contributed $660 dollars through the Auction towards the Food Bank of the Heartland Backpack Program. This provides food for children who often go hungry over the weekend -- thanks for your generosity, and especially Ford for again providing many of the items for said Auction!!

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I have secret spy photos of Gary's tire selection for next year's round up. Section width estimated to be 1525 mm F/R, 650mm height, optimum pressure 16000 psi. 0 degrees camber recommended.
fred-flintstone-driving-his-car_zpsacd83d2f.jpg

Steve

PS I leave it up to the gang to decide who his instructor is in the photo, Mark Wilson?, Bill P? K Rost? or John Scheier? ;D

Actually I'm in negotiations with Hoosier on something very close to those specs Steve, I'm just disturbed they leaked it already. :mad:

Regarding your post Steve, in the words of renowned genius Larry The Cable Guy - I don't care who you are, that's pretty funny right there, now. That's right.

drano38

Wayne
Next year, we need to add a FART Club trophy. The winner would be the driver who went off track the farthest and earning their coveted membership on the Ford Alfalfa Racing Team.
Not sure I would have won that trophy this year, but I know I made a strong run for it coming out of turn 12 Friday afternoon! :eek:
On a serious note, thanks to all the planners, sponsors, volunteers, George and his MPH crew, and the Ford engineers for making it another great weekend. Having been to all 3 Roundups, this event is growing extremely fast.

drano38 said:
Next year, we need to add a FART Club trophy. The winner would be the driver who went off track the farthest and earning their coveted membership on the Ford Alfalfa Racing Team.
Not sure I would have won that trophy this year, but I know I made a strong run for it coming out of turn 12 Friday afternoon! :eek:
On a serious note, thanks to all the planners, sponsors, volunteers, George and his MPH crew for making it another great weekend. Having been to all 3 Roundups, this event is growing extremely fast.
Now that you reminded me I was fortunate to be near virtually everyone that went off track this weekend. The GT500 got further off than you did up in the sand trap heading out toward Highway 6 in front of me, but I don't think there was much alfalfa involved. Unfortunately he didn't go off close enough for me to just drive through the yellow like some of you ;) Then there was the 302S sliding off in front of me Sunday morning and as soon as I got by him I see JS throwing up a helluva dust storm in my rear view mirror. :eek: That said after I decided to brake a little later than normal in turn 13 and damn near made pit row, I see you sliding sideways through the alfalfa in my rear view mirror! I can't confirm whether you'd win or not after seeing Bart picking alfalfa out of the lower grille opening on that Fiesta ST in the paddock since that's the one "off" I missed ::)

GB899

NO REGRETS
Nebraska
drano38 said:
the FART trophy... and maybe the SMART trophy as well... Sand Mustang Auto Racing Team...
for the over achievers... a gold tractor for one and a gold bucket & shovel for the other...lol

TMO Supporting Vendors