The Mustang Forum for Track Enthusiasts

Track Mustangs Online was built specifically for those who track their Mustangs!

Register Log in

3Vs...We're Not Dead Yet!

Jbrad

TMO Intermediate
Reaction score
Let’s talk tires. I’m currently running a 295/40-18 on a 10.5 wheel. The car is still N/A (slow) and I’m entertaining the idea of trying out a set of 275/35-18 on a 9.5. I’d be dropping roughly eight pounds of weight in wheel/tires on each corner.

I know the old adage the wider the better. It I’d be curious to see feedback on going 20mm skinnier. I’m restricted by tires sizes I can run (it needs to be a Falken). Any feedback is welcome.

blacksheep-1

TMO Addict
Reaction score
You'd be surprised how much tuning you can do with altering wheel widths, by stretching them over wide wheels

Last edited:

Schneider Stang

TMO Beginner
Reaction score
My apologies if this has been discussed, but how are you 3v guys mounting the brake ducting hoses to the bumper? I tried going where the lower grille is but the hose impacts something immediately behind it on either side. Open to any sort of suggestions and pictures are always helpful if you have them!

ChrisM

No bad days.
Reaction score
What kit are you trying to mount? Might help to identify the issue. Everything I've seen just has you drilling through all the material behind the lower grille inserts and mounting there.

Schneider Stang

TMO Beginner
Reaction score
It’s the Vorshlag 3” kit for the 14” brembo calipers. The hoses themselves are relatively stiff which makes it a little more difficult. Do you have any examples of a good setup?

Jbrad

TMO Intermediate
Reaction score
It looks like my power steering pump is finally kicking the bucket. I bought a cooler to install but noticed the motorcraft pumps are sold out on rock auto. Has anyone had good luck with other pumps or should I go with oem remans?

zajac

TMO Intermediate
Reaction score
I went through 3 pumps on my 2007 Saleen Parnelli Jones Mustang in less than 2,000 miles with track use. The first replacement was from American Muscle and an expensive remfg. It was inconvenient to sent back to American Muscle so I bought an Autozone remfg one. Cheaper but more convenient but still a remfg. That one failed in a week. Easy to get a replacement remfg from Autozone which I did and that one failed too. No one sells new power steering pumps. So the next one was a remfg from the Ford Dealer and that was better but I also installed a high quality in-line filter for the power steering pump.

TMSBOSS

Epic Contributor
Reaction score
Power steering pump faileres can come in groups if there is debris in the fluid from a failure. Regardess who makes the pump, if it is circulating debris, they will likely fail.
The filter is a great idea.

blacksheep-1

TMO Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, I kinda had an overheat problem with my 2010 F150 ..eerrrr I meant mustang..wink, wink. While towing the banana back from Pa to Fla. On the way up the temp gauge pegged for a moment, (in SC) so I backed off, sort of drove around it until I could get to a station. I added 2quarts of water, the rad was full, I drove the rest of the way up hauling an empty trailer without issue. I also checked the oil, no milk shakes, no misfires, no engine codes. On the way back with the trailer loaded, I ran the first 1K miles without issue until I got to Fla, where the temp was about 88 degrees ambient. At that point the temp gauge went up again, and..again.. I drove around the gauge the next 300 or so miles home. I checked the car over and no codes, no milkshakes on the dipstick, no water needed.
I replaced the water pump, thermostat and checked everything over 3 weeks prior to leaving in order to avoid issues. Drove the truck..err car, everywhere..no problems. I was thingking maybe
1. rad cap might be bad
2.new thermostat might be bad
3. an air bubble in the system that didn't work it's way out, even though I "burped" the system..along those lines, I also ran the heater, however, if I'm not mistaken this vehicle doesn't use a heater control valve that throttles the water to the heater core, but rather an air door..in other words, the heater is flowing water all the time.
any insight would be appreciated.
It's a 4.6 3 valve and an 8 speed trans.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel