The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

4.6 3V Crank Position Sensor Output

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Tampa
Anybody know what kind of output the crank position sensor on the 3V has? I'm designing a shift light that runs off a microcontroller being fed data from the crank sensor; but I can't find anything on voltage range, frequency, or if it's cleaned up into a square wave or stays as a sine wave. I don't have the means to measure frequency or if it's analog or digital, so I'm a bit stuck at the moment.

I'm not sure I would do that, besides being above my skill level, we just spent over 8 hours at Indy replacing every sensor, and wiring harness from the firewall forward in the Gt4 car to get rid of a missfire that only happens after the car warmed up, under load. I've about had it with the star wars stuff. Ford ran 210 on the Mulsanne straight in the 60s with points, condensors, carbs and bias ply tires. I was watching the Ford engineer doing diagnostics on the paddle shifter and it was literally done in micro voltage, say .3 volt gets you first, .4 gets second... etc. so any disruption of that is going to cause issues someplace, then a guy like me has to fix it, when it's hot, on pit lane, with other cars buzzing around you.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Tampa
I'm not sure I would do that, besides being above my skill level, we just spent over 8 hours at Indy replacing every sensor, and wiring harness from the firewall forward in the Gt4 car to get rid of a missfire that only happens after the car warmed up, under load. I've about had it with the star wars stuff. Ford ran 210 on the Mulsanne straight in the 60s with points, condensors, carbs and bias ply tires. I was watching the Ford engineer doing diagnostics on the paddle shifter and it wa sliterally done in micros voltage, say .3 volt gets you first, .4 gets second... etc. so any disruption of that is going to cause issues someplace, then a guy like me has to fix it, when it's hot, on pit lane, with other cars buzzing around you.
That's fair, I realised it's a bit daft to do it off of the crank position sensor. Decided on just running it off of one of the injector negatives; at least then its a digital 12v signal that's harder to f*** up.

I understand your pain on the GT4 though, I'm a DAG on a team that runs an LMP3 and an LMP2, so I get to sort through a shiznit load electrical and software problems. At least everything is a lot easier to get to than on a GT car lol

That's fair, I realised it's a bit daft to do it off of the crank position sensor. Decided on just running it off of one of the injector negatives; at least then its a digital 12v signal that's harder to f*** up.

I understand your pain on the GT4 though, I'm a DAG on a team that runs an LMP3 and an LMP2, so I get to sort through a shiznit load electrical and software problems. At least everything is a lot easier to get to than on a GT car lol
You guys might be interested in this web site then.

TMO Supporting Vendors