The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

A funny thing happened to my brakes at the race track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman said:
I went to the Vorshlag site last night and it said the cooling ducts were not available, so I ordered some Steeda units from Jegs instead...

It's a bad practice, but when we are out of stock of an item we usually turn it off on the site, or change the description to say it's out of stock. Our current site is a PITA to reflect that it's currently out, but a new batch will be ready in two weeks or so.

But ANY cooling is better than nothing. I'm glad you are addressing it, as I see pretty much 100% failure of the brakes when people start going faster without cooling the brakes.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
modernbeat said:
It's a bad practice, but when we are out of stock of an item we usually turn it off on the site, or change the description to say it's out of stock. Our current site is a PITA to reflect that it's currently out, but a new batch will be ready in two weeks or so.

But ANY cooling is better than nothing. I'm glad you are addressing it, as I see pretty much 100% failure of the brakes when people start going faster without cooling the brakes.
Do you have the bezels that go through the bumper?
There were some 3" round ones with a small flange I saw on your site in a picture somewhere....the blower intake is in the lower right corner and the lower grill is used to duct air to the intercooler, so a small compact bezel is just what I need.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
this one:

https://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Product-Pictures/Brakes/i-xGKBVW7

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Fabman said:
Point well made. So how do we bed pads and new rotors now that this thing will never see the street again?
Plug vents for one session only, correct? Anything else?

Just coordinate with your track before bedding pads. They may send you early or late during a group swap over to avoid and confusion, read collisions while you are bedding the pads.

I live out in flat land corn country. Bedding is not an issue. Cops just want to look at the car. No plates, I assume?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
TMSBOSS said:
Just coordinate with your track before bedding pads. They may send you early or late during a group swap over to avoid and confusion, read collisions while you are bedding the pads.

I live out in flat land corn country. Bedding is not an issue. Cops just want to look at the car. No plates, I assume?
Expired this month. I live in California and in no way meet the smog laws so I am done.
The car has been whole until this morning when I sent my kid out there to see what easy weight we could jettison, and now he's got the whole dash in pieces on the shop floor.....looks like there's no turning back now.
On the upside, I have a bunch of cherry interior pieces for sale... ;)

Fabman said:
this one:

https://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Product-Pictures/Brakes/i-xGKBVW7

I think those were from Blowfish maybe? I can't remember, but there were a kit a customer brought us to install and they were made from the bezel of an office desk power cord pass-through. Not the most sophisticated part, and a little undersized.

We make a set for the early grill (which is out of stock), and some customers have modified our 2013-14 inlets for their early grill, but if you need them more outboard due to intercoolers or other equipment, then your best bet is to find an attractive bezel that will work in the flat area of the bumper shell. For efficiency you will want them as inboard as possible. The further out around the corner, the less pressure they will see, and the less they will flow to the brakes.

TMSBOSS said:
Don't get too close to the Vettes. Engine failures are too common with that breed. I have seen two on track. They fail and close the track for 30-45 minutes for clean up.

Yes, GT-500 rear rotors. Sorry

Funny you say that since a Vette engine failure is what caused this red flag brake bake in the first place...

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
mprichar87 said:
Funny you say that since a Vette engine failure is what caused this red flag brake bake in the first place...
Ah...the great brake bake.....or "bacon brakes".

Yeah, I got bacon brakes....

I do believe you've coined a phrase. :)

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
modernbeat said:
I think those were from Blowfish maybe? I can't remember, but there were a kit a customer brought us to install and they were made from the bezel of an office desk power cord pass-through. Not the most sophisticated part, and a little undersized.

We make a set for the early grill (which is out of stock), and some customers have modified our 2013-14 inlets for their early grill, but if you need them more outboard due to intercoolers or other equipment, then your best bet is to find an attractive bezel that will work in the flat area of the bumper shell. For efficiency you will want them as inboard as possible. The further out around the corner, the less pressure they will see, and the less they will flow to the brakes.
No biggie, I'll fab something up. Thank you for your input though.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

In the interest "no more bacon brakes" (*TM mprichard87) we did a little minor gutting and managed to save 102 pounds.
We lost the door panels, windows and regulators/motors, stereo, speakers, amps :( stock seat belts, airbags and glove box. The only thing obviously missing is the door panels and stereo head unit. I'd like to keep this thing as stock looking as possible for the time being. We'll get deeper into it this winter when I build the cage.

My son was quick to point out that we could easily take 50 pounds off the driver.... :mad:

I wanted to say we could easily save 225 pounds by not taking a passenger....but he is my son and I need to be nice. 8)

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Mad Hatter said:
Just remember that you have to balance out the car!!
So, is this a good time to install my garage door sized rear wing...?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Mad Hatter said:
Just remember that you have to balance out the car!!
What do you mean "Balance out the car".....?
I took windows off both sides and the radio was in the middle. lol.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Okay, JEGS notified me that Steeda no longer has the duct kit available.

Vorshlag is out of them

Agent 47 is out

LMR has the JLT kit and it comes with bezels that I am going to need....but it's only 2 1/2" hose...which will fit with my blower intake in the way......[/size]comments? Other source suggestions? Seems the 2005 stuff is getting a little hard to find.

https://lmr.com/item/JLT-BCKFM05C/Mustang-JLT-Brake-Cooling-Kit-Clear-Bezels-05-09

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
@Fabman TBH this should be something you could put together yourself very easily with your skillset. You just need about 10' of the orange silicone ducting (can get from aircraft supply, Summit, or Pegasus Auto Racing).

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
ArizonaBOSS said:
@Fabman TBH this should be something you could put together yourself very easily with your skillset. You just need about 10' of the orange silicone ducting (can get from aircraft supply, Summit, or Pegasus Auto Racing).
Yeah, I know. But sometimes it's cheaper in the long run just to buy something that's already figured out than spend my time on it. If I have to do it myself I will, but it's more of a nuisance than anything else.
I still have to figure out some way to duct from the bumper as the grill openings are already spoken for and although necessary, it's not a very sexy or interesting job. If I could throw a couple hundred dollars at it to go away it would save me a ton of money in lost productivity on actual paying jobs....

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel