The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

After Market Exhaust Discs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: After Market Discs

Are there any sound bites with the spacer removed? I am interested to hear what this "jake break" sound is off throttle. For those that have heard it in person how loud is it with the spacer removed? Is it as loud as a car without any mufflers or..... I am going to track the car and a lot of tracks have sound regualtions and cars can't be over a certain decibel. I don't want to be kicked off the track..... Thanks.

adam81 said:
Are there any sound bites with the spacer removed? I am interested to hear what this "jake break" sound is off throttle. For those that have heard it in person how loud is it with the spacer removed? Is it as loud as a car without any mufflers or..... I am going to track the car and a lot of tracks have sound regualtions and cars can't be over a certain decibel. I don't want to be kicked off the track..... Thanks.

It is not super loud, even on the track wide open my car was one of the quiet ones. I doubt you will have problems. The main reason I experimented with the discs was to find a good sound for what I think the Boss should like, I think completely open is a little too much for the street but not everyone thinks the same. That is also under acceleration not deceleration, then the Jake Brake sound is not loud at all, it's just not a good sounding note.

In any case I run 7/8 on the street and track and love the sound.

Thanks YB. I took out the spacers today. I don't know why anyone would want anything in there..... I think it sounds great! It isn't that loud at all. There is a "jake brake" type sound when off throttle. It is not loud but it doesn't sound the greatest. I have plans for some other exhaust mods, but in the mean time I will leave it with no spacers in.

adam81 said:
I don't know why anyone would want anything in there.....

To answer this, it just comes down to personal taste, I felt there was a better sound to be had between the factory 3/16 hole and wide open. I like to hear the Boss's motor scream not just the exhaust, others don't like the drone on the highway but you are certainly not alone liking the wide open sound.

I removed the disks today and I have to say its louder the stock, sounds good, I just can't run it that way. Soon as I started my car the dogs in the neighborhood started barking.This this will scare small children and old people. Also not a good idea if you live in a development and come home late at night.
I've got to find a balance here with the hole size. What was the best sized hole for nice tone with out drowning on the highway? Also what did everyone use to lock the nut in place so they don't vibrate loose?

racered302 said:
I removed the disks today and I have to say its louder the stock, sounds good, I just can't run it that way. Soon as I started my car the dogs in the neighborhood started barking.This this will scare small children and old people. Also not a good idea if you live in a development and come home late at night.
I've got to find a balance here with the hole size. What was the best sized hole for nice tone with out drowning on the highway? Also what did everyone use to lock the nut in place so they don't vibrate loose?
I have the 1/2" and they sound fine without being too loud. You get a little jake brake sound and can still hear it rumble rolling down the FWY. So far everyone that's heard it thinks it sounds terrific including my wife. Others will like it louder but I think it's fine as is. I'll try it without the discs in the next week or two so I can hear how loud it can be.

well I said the hell with it and bored a 3/4 in hole in the restrictor plate's and it' sounds pretty good, but I think I need to get some with the 3/16" hole otherwise that's the size of the hole my wife's going to put in my head when I come home around midnight.Just kidding, she says it noise pollution and I say it's music but she's not dancing to it :), so I need some originals. 2012YellowBoss, do you have any in this size? if so, how can I get them? Thanks.

1/2 is the smallest I tested, it adds a nice sound but still dialed back. I found 3/4 to be the best overall sound, still hearing the engine while adding some exhaust sound and no drone to speak of.

I do not have any 3/16, the smallest is the half inch but I do have blanks that could be easily drilled to that size. These discs are thick but drilling up to 1/2 should be fairly straight forward. If that works for you let me know. PM or sjrsw(at)yahoo.com

2012YellowBoss said:
1/2 is the smallest I tested, it adds a nice sound but still dialed back. I found 3/4 to be the best overall sound, still hearing the engine while adding some exhaust sound and no drone to speak of.

I do not have any 3/16, the smallest is the half inch but I do have blanks that could be easily drilled to that size. These discs are thick but drilling up to 1/2 should be fairly straight forward. If that works for you let me know. PM or sjrsw(at)yahoo.com
I sent you an email, thanks

I must be old school but I waited ( too ) long before removing the discs last weekend, and OH MY, I am absolutely loving it wide open.
to each their own of course, but it just feels like a purebred race car now, I actually love that JAKE SOUND upon deccelaration ( braaaaaaaa, sorry Scott) puts a smile on my face everytime. put putting around town at 35 miles an hour was painful before, and now its a pleasure just to hear it roar, jake, and blurp. its alive !

Dumb question --- why can't the discs have slots instead of holes? With slots, changing them would only require loosening the two bolts instead of having to remove those two bolts plus the rocker panel one.

rom said:
I actually love that JAKE SOUND upon deccelaration ( braaaaaaaa, sorry Scott) puts a smile on my face everytime.

Hey that is why they make different colors also, njoy it ;D

Vince said:
Dumb question --- why can't the discs have slots instead of holes? With slots, changing them would only require loosening the two bolts instead of having to remove those two bolts plus the rocker panel one.

Vince I thought about it but I figure most people will not change them too much and (for me anyways) it was fairly easy to swap out so I never followed through on the idea. So it's not a dumb question but it would have also added cost to them.

I received a set of 7/8" discs from Scott last week and installed them over the weekend. I had to go out of town for a couple of days and didn't get a chance to drive my car until today. The 7/8 is noticeably louder than the 1/2 but not obnoxiously so. All I have to say is wow they sound awesome. I took a couple of coworkers for a ride in my Boss today and they were impressed with the "race car" sound. My wife likes it too. I don't think I want it any louder so the 7/8 discs are staying. ;D

Out of the 1/2's now but should get them soon. If anyone wants them still let me know and I will save a set.

Still running my 7/8 also Rick. I always meant to swap out to the 3/4 when the real ones came in but I have gotten use to the sound at 7/8's now. Maybe after the first speeding ticket :eek:

I put the 1 inch plates back in and they cut down the Jake brake noticeably. I likey! I think they'll stay in at least until I get new axle-backs, then we'll see if there's any change to overall "Boss-acoustabilty".

STIG302 said:
I put the 1 inch plates back in and they cut down the Jake brake noticeably. I likey! I think they'll stay in at least until I get new axle-backs, then we'll see if there's any change to overall "Boss-acoustabilty".

LOL, I did the same thing so don't feel bad ;D Others have told me they did the same. When I got the car and pulled the discs I loved it, then after a while not so much. It was not too loud but I felt there was a better sound inbetween. That is why I started with this whole project.

I did try out the 1 inch and agree with you, it may be possible to go bigger but it is not something I am going to test. I think it would be too close to wide open to make it worth while. For now I will run the 7/8 at the largest.

TMO Supporting Vendors