The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

airbag call in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHTSA has broken up the US into three zones to prioritize the fixes to the most hot/humid areas first.

http://www.safercar.gov/rs/takata/takata-explainer.html

I am in zone C so it looks like Ford has till the last day of 2018 to get to me... Hopefully they get to me sooner, this seems to just be the worst case schedule the NHTSA has come up with.

Got my letter last week and made the appointment the same day at Auto Nation Ford here in Jacksonville Fl. Took it in this morning. Took just over an hour. Thing is, it wasn't the actual airbag they replaced but the actuator. Don't know if this is the case for all Mustangs affected by the recall or just the Boss.

I got a letter recently saying that the parts should become available for my car ('13 Boss) in the 4th quarter. When I checked with the dealer earlier this year they had said June. So either they were misinformed or the timeline is getting pushed back. The letter I got was before the latest recall expansion I wouldn't be surprised if the time frame is pushed back even more, especially considering that I'm in a very dry part of the country.

BOSS 4D said:
Got my letter last week and made the appointment the same day at Auto Nation Ford here in Jacksonville Fl. Took it in this morning. Took just over an hour. Thing is, it wasn't the actual airbag they replaced but the actuator. Don't know if this is the case for all Mustangs affected by the recall or just the Boss.

"actuator" is an odd way to spell grenade.

Seriously though, they should be replacing the part that contains the explosives that Khandhadia designed, whatever it is called. Calling it an "actuator" might be an attempt at damage control? If it is what they actually call it they have a piss poor grasp on engineering...

I think they were recalled by geographic location, I know that sounds a bit odd but supposedly what was affecting the Takata air bag was humidity, I had gotten my original recall letter about a year ago, then another saying never mind, then recently one that said..basically..this time we're serious. Took about an hour at the dealer (for my 07 Shelby).

Got the airbag recall on 2012 Boss #693 taken care of at Five Star Ford in Plano Texas last week. Am wondering whether the replacement parts were made by Takata, or some other supplier. The dealer could not tell me. The below June 2, 2016 Bloomberg article has some sobering information I had not seen before on this disaster, and the ammonium nitrate propellant.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-06-02/sixty-million-car-bombs-inside-takata-s-air-bag-crisis

I understand completely what you're talking about. My airbag deployed when I jumped a curb in my Boss 3 yrs ago & I'm still around to talk about it. My thoughts are about others that have been less fortunate when their bags went off. That's why this recall was mandated.

Got another air bag recall letter yesterday ( my 2nd) and called dealer to set up appointment, they told me to bring it in first thing this am. Took care of it in bout 40 min. ;D Still waiting on VW dealer for my 2012 CC. They tell me 4 qtr 2016 ::)

302BOB said:
Does anyone else see the irony in the fact that airbags were developed to save lives and now millions of us are in danger of being killed by them....read that again and think about it.......

The best part is the recall notice states: "An inflator rupture could result in metal fragments striking the driver or other occupants resulting in serious injury or death." It does not say to stop driving the car with this killer airbag (inflator). It does say: "Please contact your dealer without delay." I still think I should be able to bring just the airbag itself to them so they can swap it out on the work bench without me having to drop my car off and wait all day. Oh wait there I go thinking I'm the customer again.....

Tim

TMSBOSS said:
You are the customer.....not the bill payer on this one.

Ford has a procedure. They pay the bill.

Want to order, pay for and install parts. Give them a call.

I did and they won't let me because it is deemed a "safety" item and would not clear the recall in their system on my car unless Ford trained technitions perform this task.
Tim

thehueypilot said:
I did and they won't let me because it is deemed a "safety" item and would not clear the recall in their system on my car unless Ford trained technitions perform this task.
Tim

That's correct all it would take is one dummy to set it off, or not reinstall it right so it might fail to work in the event of a collision and Ford would have a bunch of lawyers and Govt DOT types running around so they will never allow owners to do this. It took all of 40 min at the dealer so its not a big deal so just go get it done

Also when air bags first came out in the early 90's the auto makers and their sources had to reduce the charges because they were too violent.
As I recall back then these were made by US companies and the same ones that produce various pyro for military applications)

k98dave, You must have an excellent dealership to have got the recall work done in less than an hour. It will be interesting to learn if that is the norm or the exception when others get theirs done.I'm in the wait & see mode right now.

I go to a small dealership and got mine done in about 30min. It took about 10 days to get the part. It was ordered by vin number. All in all painless. Great excuse to drive 40 miles.

TMO Supporting Vendors