The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Alignment that'll work for track and street?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
isrboss said:
Arizona you have some of the more helpful info I come across, thanks bro. I'm going to hit you with some specifics though. What model/size tires are you running on track? How much lower than stock are you? Are you finding the front tire temps are pretty even across after finding the right pressure with the -3*?

Any help would be great, I may be going to Sebring real soon, and taking my ir thermometer. I don't plan to run camber plates, I was hoping to slot the struts a little and take whatever the .80 of lowering in the front will give me. If I can get a tad over 2* of negative camber and get the tire temps good I'll be happy.

Sorry I didn't see this until now. My car is about 1" lower in the front and 1.5" lower in the rear vs. stock. Typically I run a Hoosier R6 or Nitto NT01 in a 275 width on the front and rear. Even if you're only running street tires, the pyrometer will help you get it dialed in. There is also a more expensive (and more accurate) probe pyrometer that you actually press into the tread, but I am not made of money here.

ASAP once you park the car after a session, use the pyrometer to measure the inside tread, middle tread, and outside tread of the tire. Keep the pyrometer consistently 4-6" from the tire while taking your readings. You can't adjust anything on the rear other than tire pressure--so if your hot pressures are OK and the car doesn't lose rear grip over the course of the session, you can leave those alone.
How to interpret the readings:
If all 3 readings on each tire are within 10*F of each other, don't mess with anything (Example: 160 inner 155 middle 150 outside).
Inside too hot: Too much negative camber.
Outside too hot: Not enough negative camber.
Middle too hot: Tire overinflated.
Middle too cold: Tire underinflated.

That's the method in a general sense and should help you dial it in. Your readings on the right tire vs. the left tire will likely be different depending on the track and the direction of travel, so don't get alarmed about that.

TMO Supporting Vendors