The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

All New 2013 Owners Read!

shuvl70

2013 Grabber Blue #216
63
0
AZ
Just an FYI: Per the Ford Warranty literature...you have "ONE WEEK FROM TAKING DELIVERY" of your new Boss to notify your dealer of any imperfections to be warrantied by Ford.

Paint scratches...stripes bubbling....interior damage etc.
 

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
1,239
70
Was an interesting topic last year on TMS when a batch of '12 Boss Mustangs were delivered with chrome trim rings on the dash instead of the Boss satin finish variety. Very easy to miss such a small detail like that...
 

shuvl70

2013 Grabber Blue #216
63
0
AZ
I think you should start a thread for all new Boss owners to send all there pics to you right away for review!! ;D
 

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
1,239
70
Hey hey! Let's not get all crazy now... First things first, have you got your order in for Zaino or Adams? ;D
 
This is actually a pretty important issue. One week is not much time to find every single imperfection. I have to assume that this cosmetic problems correct?

ace72ace said:
Hey hey! Let's not get all crazy now... First things first, have you got your order in for Zaino or Adams? ;D
Plus Im pretty sure the 2013 stripes can't use Zaino due to their finish
 

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
1,239
70
Well I plan on putting Zaino on the stripes, if anything it should protect them. Time will tell...
 
ace72ace said:
Well I plan on putting Zaino on the stripes, if anything it should protect them. Time will tell...
From everything I have seen from my research I wouldn't use Zaino on it. On the 2012 stripes its ok since they have a protective vinyl gloss material that is smooth and that is ideal for waxes and sealants. The 2013's stripes on the other hand have a bare matte/satin which from all the pictures I have seen is not smooth. Trying to apply a wax/sealant on these will only cake up on the surface of the stripe and won't easily come off OR it may take away the stripes given properties and thus become dull and discolored.

I have been very curious on this subject and my research is pointing to just wash the stripes with light pressure and polish and wax around them.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
killerwill13 said:
ace72ace said:
Well I plan on putting Zaino on the stripes, if anything it should protect them. Time will tell...
From everything I have seen from my research I wouldn't use Zaino on it. On the 2012 stripes its ok since they have a protective vinyl gloss material that is smooth and that is ideal for waxes and sealants. The 2013's stripes on the other hand have a bare matte/satin which from all the pictures I have seen is not smooth. Trying to apply a wax/sealant on these will only cake up on the surface of the stripe and won't easily come off OR it may take away the stripes given properties and thus become dull and discolored.

I have been very curious on this subject and my research is pointing to just wash the stripes with light pressure and polish and wax around them.
from actual experience the rear vinyl on the 12's is matte and it works just fine on them. makes them a little darker and more of a semi gloss finish.
 
boss2511 said:
killerwill13 said:
ace72ace said:
Well I plan on putting Zaino on the stripes, if anything it should protect them. Time will tell...
From everything I have seen from my research I wouldn't use Zaino on it. On the 2012 stripes its ok since they have a protective vinyl gloss material that is smooth and that is ideal for waxes and sealants. The 2013's stripes on the other hand have a bare matte/satin which from all the pictures I have seen is not smooth. Trying to apply a wax/sealant on these will only cake up on the surface of the stripe and won't easily come off OR it may take away the stripes given properties and thus become dull and discolored.

I have been very curious on this subject and my research is pointing to just wash the stripes with light pressure and polish and wax around them.
from actual experience the rear vinyl on the 12's is matte and it works just fine on them. makes them a little darker and more of a semi gloss finish.
Yeah, I realize that the back panel is a matte and I have felt it on three 2012 Bosses. And it I would not say that material is the same as the 2013 stripes since its alot more abrasive when I felt it then the 2013 stripes appear to feel like and it also does not have the reflective properties either. So to me it is still a gray area on what to do with the 2013 stripes until other owners start sharing their experience. I plan as soon as I get mine to develop a way to clkean them but until then I'm left waiting for others to say something.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
killerwill13 said:
boss2511 said:
killerwill13 said:
ace72ace said:
Well I plan on putting Zaino on the stripes, if anything it should protect them. Time will tell...
From everything I have seen from my research I wouldn't use Zaino on it. On the 2012 stripes its ok since they have a protective vinyl gloss material that is smooth and that is ideal for waxes and sealants. The 2013's stripes on the other hand have a bare matte/satin which from all the pictures I have seen is not smooth. Trying to apply a wax/sealant on these will only cake up on the surface of the stripe and won't easily come off OR it may take away the stripes given properties and thus become dull and discolored.

I have been very curious on this subject and my research is pointing to just wash the stripes with light pressure and polish and wax around them.
from actual experience the rear vinyl on the 12's is matte and it works just fine on them. makes them a little darker and more of a semi gloss finish.
Yeah, I realize that the back panel is a matte and I have felt it on three 2012 Bosses. And it I would not say that material is the same as the 2013 stripes since its alot more abrasive when I felt it then the 2013 stripes appear to feel like and it also does not have the reflective properties either. So to me it is still a gray area on what to do with the 2013 stripes until other owners start sharing their experience. I plan as soon as I get mine to develop a way to clkean them but until then I'm left waiting for others to say something.
this is the email I got from Zaino. I have gotten the product on the porus plastic parts and it wipes right off with no residue. You just dont want to use an abrasive product on them
You're going love Zaino especially on all those decals. Zaino Show
Car Polish works great on all vinyl decals. It is non-abrasive, leaves
no white residue or wax buildup and actually makes the decals last
longer. It's UV40 protectant will keep the decals from shrinking, fading
and drying out. Plus it will make the decals look like they have a clear
coat over them. Try it on all the decals you'll love it.

You can use Z-2, Z-5, Z-6 or Z-8

NOTE: For Flat Black or Matte Decals.

Try a test spot on the Flat Black decals and see if you like the look.
It will make the decals have a slight gloss to them.. It boils down to a
matter of personal preference.
 

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
1,239
70
Heh, you got that right, I emailed Zaino to ask them specifically about the '13 stripes and got the same canned 'cut & paste' reply. The thing I would wonder about would be a possible build up of any wax/polish/liquid/spray in between the small accent stripes. I think if you took the plunge to just use a polish on top of them, you would have to take special care in buffing it out. Obviously you wouldn't be doing a circular motion over the edges of the stripes, but rather working with the direction of the stripe, much as you would with the grain of wood when working with lumber. Then once the residue was wiped off, you'd have to have a dedicated soft brush to gently remove any build up from the the painted surfaces and the edges of the decals.

That's how I have it worked out in my mind, it might be worth a shot to run it by Ford, hopefully someone in the know could speak to the subject and not just say 'ask your dealer'.
 
Thats exactly what I'm thinking too. My huge concern is with polish. I use meguiars glaze polish and if you get it on any vinyl or plastic it start eating it up, so I stay far away from them when using it. I know these stripes don't have anything protecting them so polishing for me is a big NO so far, wax maybe. But comes back to the build up on the surface of the stripes because of their texture. And a sealant on these stripes wont go over well since that will either build up or take away the stripes properties.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
killerwill13 said:
Thats exactly what I'm thinking too. My huge concern is with polish. I use meguiars glaze polish and if you get it on any vinyl or plastic it start eating it up, so I stay far away from them when using it. I know these stripes don't have anything protecting them so polishing for me is a big NO so far, wax maybe. But comes back to the build up on the surface of the stripes because of their texture. And a sealant on these stripes wont go over well since that will either build up or take away the stripes properties.
I would just put Z-CS on it only then and call it a day. I put it over my glass, plastic, metal...everything. no build up at all and it gives it some protection leaves no residue and is a apply it and forget it type thing. last 6-9 months.
 
I have a 70 Boss 302 that I have restored 17 years ago. Back in the mid 90's I asked a boss owner (Who had his car since 73) how to clean and get water spot off the black on these cars. He told me he used pledge furniture polish. I have been using it on the stripes, trunk black and the taillight panel for all these years with absolutely NO adverse effects. I plan on using it on my new one when I get it.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
lol pledge is a good idea. wouldnt think it would last a rain though. another alternative is Adams Super VRT (vinyl rubber tire) I use it on my bigger porus plastic parts and tried it on the vinyl before I did the zaino and it gives it UV protection and makes it repel water.
here is the link to a thread made about how to care for the vinyl decals by guys that do it all day for a living. they choose new camaro ss to do but it gives you an idea of the different ways to take care of them
http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/general-detailing-discussion-questions/12124.htm
 
Well i have found some great up close high resolution shots of a 2013 SBY and I can say they look smoother than I thought before. Im thinking maybe a light wax. Im still on the fence about a sealant on them it just looks like it would take away its finish. Heres the link to the pictures on Mustangs daily. http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2012/05/01/photo-gallery-2013-ford-mustang-boss-302-in-school-bus-yellow/
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top