The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Alonso to race Indy 500

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattlqx

Mustangless
It wouldn't surprise me if this was part of a deal he made not to jump ship to Mercedes when Rosberg's seat opened up. Or maybe he had a tense meeting after the rather dismal pre-season testing and figured if he's going to waste another year, he might as well get some extra-cirriculars in. Either way, he seemed to have high hopes for this season compared to the prior two and it's pretty evident those are dashed at this point.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Alonso is a great driver with a terrible car. He's better off running Indy than being stuck at the ass-end of the pack at Monaco where you *basically* don't have a shot at winning unless you qualify on pole. Alonso did have a great race there with Ferrari a couple years back where he picked up 13 or 14 spots after starting from the pit lane, but that was a different time and a different car. I know he's still got the skill so I'd personally love to see him in a situation where he can put it to good use. Good luck, Fernando!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Been watching this morning/afternoon, and the guy is so much the " Real Deal."" Excuse me folks, I have never run on an oval , so it may take be a few minutes to get up to speed." Passes his Rookie Test in 50 minutes, and later goes over 222 mph, first time ever in an IndyCar. Impressive and as Arizona Boss noted, killer driver stuck in a very uncompetitive car and the timing is right for him to try for the Triple Crown. Love to see Alonzo win and then tackle LeMans. Honda , is at least, respecting his talent and allowing him to have some success while they struggle again this year -kudos to them for that!

mattlqx

Mustangless
I'm very excited to see him run Le Mans. I've only become a fan during these last few years so I've never been able to see him excel, but I definitely know he's capable.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
LOL. "He should show up at Monaco and try to maybe earn some points"...who cares, McLaren is not in a position where that will help them at all. And there is very limited passing at Monaco. The odds are not in Alonso's favor there.
At least by showing up to Indy, he will have a car with a RELIABLE engine where he can actually race.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
To see what happened to Dixon sent shivers down my side. But after watching it several tymes and watching him land on his head, it shows what safety really means to racers. After watching the race with me, my wife wondered out loud if I should get a roll bar for my car. I took it as getting her blessing :)

TMO Supporting Vendors