• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Any blown boss engines yet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLAZN BOSS said:
302BOB said:
The Boss engine was engineered to be bullitt proof. If it fails, it must be from oil loss or if the rev limiter was tempered with............Just my 2 cents
The engine that won't blow up is one that don't leave the engine stand.

+1

Track it enough with the standard cooling package (water and oil) and it will fail sooner rather than later. Consider what they did for the 302S and 302R.

Mike

cloud9

Gary
BossDuke said:
BLAZN BOSS said:
302BOB said:
The Boss engine was engineered to be bullitt proof. If it fails, it must be from oil loss or if the rev limiter was tempered with............Just my 2 cents
The engine that won't blow up is one that don't leave the engine stand.

+1

Track it enough with the standard cooling package (water and oil) and it will fail sooner rather than later. Consider what they did for the 302S and 302R.

Mike
Thus the reason mine has the 302S grille, 302S radiator, 302S air-to-oil cooler and 302S (Tiger Racing) hood. Doesn't make it faster, but keeps it fast longer ;D

NOLIMIT

DAVID
I know this post is Johnny come lately but while I was looking for a 2012 LS to purchase I found one in Vancouver BC LS#263 with 1700 miles on it, I had the warranty history looked up for me by a friend at my local Ford Dealership. I was very surprised to find that it had the whole engine replaced at 933 miles due to Connecting rod failure grand total $14000 (Can). So I passed on this one and picked up LS#222 from Toronto with same mileage and nothing to report on warranty history.

Mine blew at 20k. You are correct it was the #3 piston hitting the valves due to the head warping. Brand new engine ($16,000) all under warranty.

Justin said:
I would think it would take boost + bad tuning to blow one up. or and injector failure that leans a cylinder out. if anyone finds pictures of some boss engine carnage I would love to see it :)

You sicko.

wc_1.jpg

From a WC 302S, which of course makes less hp than stock, thanks to a restrictor. Maybe revs. :(

Call the Regional service Manager. You can call Ford customer service explain the situation and ask to speak to Regional. They were actually very polite and understanding. Not sure where you are located but once I escalated it up past the dealership I received a call within an hour and the next day they had a new engine on the way. I would not let them do anything other than a full engine especially after you dropped the coin on an LS.. I believe mine took about 3-4 weeks to get resolved. Good luck and hope you get her running soon.

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
I just checked my Boss Owners Kit - My car was produced at Auto Alliance International on 11/4/2011. Vehicle # 2558 of the 2012 Production Run and #447 manufactured in Performance White. Is there reason for concern?

VWGTI123 said:
I just checked my Boss Owners Kit - My car was produced at Auto Alliance International on 11/4/2011. Vehicle # 2558 of the 2012 Production Run and #447 manufactured in Performance White. Is there reason for concern?

Not until you here a slight ticking that gets louder at higher RPM's. I am not sure if anyone at Ford can tell us which engines had this mistake in production. I am sure they have the info. I am surprised they did not do a recall unless it is a very large number and are just treating it on a case by case basis. Some people may never see it since they don't drive thier cars hard or are not driving them at all.

Here's one:

IMG_20121103_104441.jpg

The driver claimed... I heard through the grapevine... that he didn't do anything wrong, didn't miss a shift or anything. Said the motor just went... caught fire... I think the white stuff is from the fire extinguisher.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest lap times

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel