The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Auto-x/HPDE Bullitt K1912 Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
Spent the day installing BMR Magneride springs, Steeda Camber plates, BMR CB005 Cradle lock out, Vorshlag Brake deflectors, and new lug nuts. Got alignment scheduled for Friday. Getting closer for her to be ready for the track

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
Got a hell of a deal on a set of 19x11 SVE GT7 wheels
2v2HsUvo4x1Ybjq.jpg

Also started install of OPMustangs extended length front studs. Got one side done before it just got too hot and humid. Will try to get other side done tomorrow before F1 race
2v2Hkf8kMx1Ybjq.jpg
2v2Hkf8Rrx1Ybjq.jpg
2v2Hkf8Y5x1Ybjq.jpg
2v2Hkf8tyx1Ybjq.jpg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Fast tire, but just a thought to consider since you mentioned Autocross and HPDEs. The Goodyears are a 100 Treadwear Tire and you will have to go to a very modified class and run against guys on Hoosiers and likely much smaller cars. Your setup now appears to be right in the CAM C criteria and you just need to run a 200 TRW tire. Both a BFG Rival S 1.5 or a Bridgestone RE71 is great for CAM C, and the BFG seems to be a bit better for HPDEs as is wears just a bit longer and takes a little longer to get greasy.

Just a little bit of advice as picking the wrong tire in Autocross causes a lot of folks irritation when they find they are in a Class they can not compete in. Use the link here to get to TireRack and that helps the site some also.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
My bad, you are absolutely correct. If HPDE is your main focus that would be a good one, but if you main focus is Autocross I would go with the BFG or RE71s first - imho.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
Main focus is HPDE, been instructing for 20+ years. I want a tire that will "last" for a full 20-30 minute session. A decent autocross compromise tire is what I'm looking for. Sure, I would love to win a few local events in CAMC, but if I can be relatively on these I'll be happy One of the guys at Tire Rack says he uses them on his M2 with decent results

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Oh, I agree , if that is you main focus it is the way to go. Been Instructing for 20 years myself and you are so correct in wanting a tire to last the full 20-30 minute session. You aren't talklng about Luke at TireRack are you, heard he might have gotten a Bimmer?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
Today I did my first oil change with 5W30 Mobil 1. Plastic drain plug was different. Also installed my G-Loc R12/R8 pads and checked all my suspension modifications. Somewhat surprised at what had loosened up. May change the diff fluid and wash it Friday before my VIR event this weekend

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
Boy what a weekend I had at VIR! Either I sucked driving my 2015 GT Premium, the Bullitt is that much better, or the Goodyear Supercar 3 are just awesome. The fastest time I had turned back in February with my old GT was a 2:13.457 on 275-35/18 Federals. Well Saturday rolls around after a day and a half of rain from what was left of Hurricane Sally. Weather is in the low 60's and breezy and track is green. Go out first instructor session and turn a 2:13.3. I thought that was faster but was hoping for more. Went out with my student to help him see the line a little better. Too much traffic to get a good time; 2:16.4. One of my instructor friends that I haven't seen in ten years wanted to go for a ride so we went out in one of the advanced student groups. Didn't feel I was driving all that well; I guess 6 months off will do that, Well we get back in, I check the track addicts app, and low and behold I got down to a 2:11.608 ! I was beside myself! I couldn't wipe the grin off my face! Went back out with my student in his Supercharged 4.6L S197, he did much better than his first session. Decided to go out by myself for last instructor session of the day. My driving felt much better. Car was a little tail happy due to having about 3/8 tank of gas, but was manageable. Got in some good open laps. Came back in, checked the app and dropped down to a 2:10.863! I was all like hot damn this is awesome! I packed some stuff up and drove home for the night, I only live an hour away. Watched the Bristol race and fell asleep.
Got an email overnight from my student. His car had an axle seal leaking that he wasn't able to fix so I would be studentless for today. I was so pleased from yesterday's times that I wasn't expecting much if any improvements. Ran a bunch of 2:10's and 2:11's, which I was perfectly fine with. Hung around BSing with some friends until last instructor session before lunch. Was late getting on track due to needing gas. Had a little over half a tank when I went out. Got lucky and got put out in front of a pretty quick Camaro SS that I had seen back in February but couldn't keep up with. I let him by and proceeded to forget it was my out lap. Turned up the wick right away. I let him by and tried to see if I could keep up. We played HARD for most of the session. I was driving my ass off to keep up. He let me by and I led him around for a few laps, then let him back by. Despite ambient temps in the upper 60's, I did get the differential overheat warning on dash, if that tells you how hard i was driving the car. Then I got a low gas warning light, 9 miles to empty. Decided it would not be wise to run another Mustang out of gas so I pitted. Damned if I didn't drop my lap time again!! 2:09.122 with a theoretical best of 2:07.6! That was freaking fantastic, but I think I was more pumped just chasing the guy around. He came up to me about 10 minutes later and was all smiles and anting about what a blast it was! Come to find out it was a 1LE car, so that made my day even better. He did say he was on the same Goodyear's I was but was so excited that I forgot to ask him if there were any mods done to it. I did have GoPro in the car so if I can ever get video to download I will post it up.
For a car with very modifications done to it, I am very pleased with the performance aspects and am looking forward to running with local BMW chapter back at VIR in October.
Thanks if you read this probably too long post

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
Finally changed the rear diff fluid. Car has just under 9k miles and I think 3.5 track weekends. Fluid was black but didn't smell bad. Went back with the BG 75w140

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Libertyville, il
Finally changed the rear diff fluid. Car has just under 9k miles and I think 3.5 track weekends. Fluid was black but didn't smell bad. Went back with the BG 75w140
You may want to consider a rear diff cooler as the fluid gets very hot even in everyday driving without a cooler on my car I've seen nearly 200F it's best to run 155F to 175F. The diff fluid cooler from Full Tilt Boogie Racing helps achieve this. When I ran the car at RA rear diff temps never exceeded 175F.

The differentials on these cars get very hot as your post above mentioned when you saw the diff high temp warning.

On a trip to Houston last August I saw high temps (200F +/- ) running at 80 MPH on the expressways in 85 - 95F ambient temps.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel