The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Axle Overflow Reservoir Installed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was at LRP this past weekend. Besides cooking one front left Pirelli Corsa, I realized I blew some rear diff fluid (Redline Super Lightweight SHockproof) out of the turkey baster. So much for that little rubber bulb solution. It looked at lot worse than it was, I actually only lost maybe 1/2 pint or so:

IMG_20120412_183352.jpg

Here's the JLT axle reservior installed. 1 hour, very easy, no issues:

IMG_20120412_185516.jpg
IMG_20120412_190525.jpg
IMG_20120412_190518.jpg
IMG_20120412_190200.jpg

PS: WHile at the shop I swapped the MT-82 fluid for Redline MTL - shifts even better than before....

5 DOT 0 said:
Oh now you tell me. I just ordered the Bob's one an hour ago. How much and where did you purchase it from?

Don't know but I will ask Vic, he is the guy in town selling the black Boss.

He made the braided hose up to look nice but any hose will do. Run the hose up into the trunk through an existing large hole on the left side or make a new one of your own. Then I followed his lead and put one bolt in and velcroed the other side to hold the canister in place on the location pictured, holes are already there no drilling. Takes 10 minutes to install, as I said it works great.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I thought the 302s used a true rear diff cooler like the one Rehagen sells . Closed loop system with radiator,pump, etc. This looks nice but is it engineering overkill? My guess is its pricey too.?

i think from my past dealings with stuff is its alot cheaper to make your own kit.
you can get the pumps from several places that are designed to move high temp axle and trans fluid.
the coolers can be bought from several places also. make you own lines up and if you want or need a resovior you can get something to work there too.

i think it would be half the cost of the kits they sell

PeteInCT said:
I thought the 302s used a true rear diff cooler like the one Rehagen sells . Closed loop system with radiator,pump, etc. This looks nice but is it engineering overkill? My guess is its pricey too.?

I'm not 100% sure but I think the setup pictured on my car is what they come with. The cooler would be something added after.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Scott - what happens when the fluid makes it up the hose and to the canister,it can't get back to the rear axle it seems. With Bob's/JLT the expanded fluid makes its way back to the rear diff when cooled. IMHO I would think that would be preferred, no?

PeteInCT said:
Scott - what happens when the fluid makes it up the hose and to the canister,it can't get back to the rear axle it seems. With Bob's/JLT the expanded fluid makes its way back to the rear diff when cooled. IMHO I would think that would be preferred, no?

Looking at the design of that, this would be my concern as well.

The canister sits much higher then the rear and the hose is long, it's been on two cars and there has been no oil collection in the canister. The point of this is to vent the rear and not to collect oil but it is there just in case a few vapors work there way up.

The same thing has happened with the oil canister on the engine. The hoses are angled down and no real amount of oil collects in the canister, it is a vent.

I received my Bob's axle reservoir today and I'm disappointed by the crappy looking welds. I'm curious if any of you that purchased one had yours look like this. While it will never be seen the quality does not meet my expectations.

IMG_1250.jpg

PeteInCT

Connecticut
5 DOT 0 said:
I received my Bob's axle reservoir today and I'm disappointed by the crappy looking welds. I'm curious if any of you that purchased one had yours look like this. While it will never be seen the quality does not meet my expectations.

I sent you a pic of mine via email...

Wow...that is shocking. Mine looks just fine, nothing like that. I don't have pics like Pete, but it sure doesn't look like it was welded by drunk interns.

PeteInCT said:
I was at LRP this past weekend. Besides cooking one front left Pirelli Corsa, I realized I blew some rear diff fluid (Redline Super Lightweight SHockproof) out of the turkey baster.

In my usual track car which I've had for many years, a 1987 BMW 325iS, I switched from Redline diff gear oil to the RL Super Lightweight Shockproof gear oil. I noticed after that first weekend with the new stuff that it forced gear oil out of the top vent of the differential. This had never happened before using the regular RL gear oil. I asked my mechanic, who works on several club racer cars, and he has noticed that too. It must be something about the Super Lightweight Shockproof gear oil that causes it to expand more than the regular RL oil. I think the expansion tank is still a good mod for tracked cars, and I will probably do that eventually on my Boss.

I installed my tank from Bob today. Nice welds on mine and overall a nice setup. Slowly getting my car ready for the Shelby Bash at Spring Mtn in a couple weeks. Just have the BMR boxed LCA's and the FR relocation brackets to do and they'll go on next Sat.

Installed JLT, cursed at it for 40 min while I tried to weasel it into position. Then read earlier post about jacking car by the body vs. the axle so the diff ends up hanging down lower....popped in right after that without trouble. My hose is sort of resting on top of my diff...I'm hoping that's not of concern but I'll keep an eye on it.

I recently installed my Bob's reservoir and I had to run the line like PeteinCT did - off the top of the driver's side axle. I wasn't happy with the clearance when I tried it at the top of the diff - it was actually less than 2" with the car on the ground - and I was concerned about possible contact when the suspension compressed. I plugged the hole on the top of the diff with the bolt that I removed from the top of the axle. Oh, and I have P springs which lower the rear 1".

YellowBoss said:
The same thing has happened with the oil canister on the engine. The hoses are angled down and no real amount of oil collects in the canister, it is a vent.

This is Paul Brown's car from last year. I'm guessing the catch can never needs servicing. ;)

diff_breather.jpg

Also, all of the Boss race cars I have looked at have this style of breather and most of them also have the nice coolers w/pumps sitting under the car where the gas tank saddlebags used to be.

TMO Supporting Vendors