The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Benefits of GT4 Hood Vents worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Atlanta
Thinking about adding the full TrackSpec GT4 hood vents with side louvers to my GT350 but is it worth it?

I'd like to reduce under hood temps and lift. But my main concern is the side vents will open up the airbox seal and water can get in. The car is mostly used for on track but I do drive it to and from, plus the occasional rainy track days.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Thinking about adding the full TrackSpec GT4 hood vents with side louvers to my GT350 but is it worth it?

I'd like to reduce under hood temps and lift. But my main concern is the side vents will open up the airbox seal and water can get in. The car is mostly used for on track but I do drive it to and from, plus the occasional rainy track days.
Short answer is yes its worth it. Nothing against Trackspec but check out Race Louvers also.

As for vents and water I dont think anybody has reported any issues but others have made a cover for the airbox or bought them from Archetype Racing. I've seen a a few Cali people get theirs done by Trent Musser. I dont know if he ships them out though.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Hood vents = massive gains for Mustangs. Definitely worth it.
Race Louver vents are superior to Track Spec and they have wind tunnel and CFD data on their website to prove it.

Need to seal the air box. Not only to avoid water getting on the filter but the hood vent right over the open airbox will pull air away from the intake.
With a sealed box and the slight ram-air effect from the intake opening at the grille, you create a high pressure area surrounding the filter which helps push more air into the intake tube. If you put a hood vent right over an open air box, you lose that high pressure area. I've seen dyno pulls affected by hood vents over an open air box.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Atlanta
Short answer is yes its worth it. Nothing against Trackspec but check out Race Louvers also.

As for vents and water I dont think anybody has reported any issues but others have made a cover for the airbox or bought them from Archetype Racing. I've seen a a few Cali people get theirs done by Trent Musser. I dont know if he ships them out though.

Hood vents = massive gains for Mustangs. Definitely worth it.
Race Louver vents are superior to Track Spec and they have wind tunnel and CFD data on their website to prove it.

Need to seal the air box. Not only to avoid water getting on the filter but the hood vent right over the open airbox will pull air away from the intake.
With a sealed box and the slight ram-air effect from the intake opening at the grille, you create a high pressure area surrounding the filter which helps push more air into the intake tube. If you put a hood vent right over an open air box, you lose that high pressure area. I've seen dyno pulls affected by hood vents over an open air box.

I've never heard of Race Louvers but I'll check them out.

Is Trent a member on the forums or how can I reach out to him?

Archetype no longer makes the intake. I asked CorteX if they made anything and they said no.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal

Archetype no longer makes the intake. I asked CorteX if they made anything and they said no.
For a cover, just cut a piece of Lexan out and fasten it in place. Cheap and easy solution

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Trent Musser 707-655-2909

Bay Area

Trent makes a very nice piece,. Im actually goi g to trash my Archetype cover since he is making me one of his.

DM me your number and I can text you a pic of his work

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
Verus Engineering has effective, tested options also. Small group of cfd engineers who really sweat the small details...especially their
undercar aero stuff.

I've spent my own money with them...

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Atlanta
Sounds like there's no doubt Race Louvers is superior to Trackspec. Are they a forum sponsor or is there an affiliate link I'd be able to purchase with for TMO?

Verus Engineering has effective, tested options also. Small group of cfd engineers who really sweat the small details...especially their
undercar aero stuff.

I've spent my own money with them...
Defintley love me some Verus stuff but looks like all the louvers are non GT350. I personally have all the parts they offer.

I've heard they might do a 350 specific louver in the future from a local shop but no timeline on that.

Monaca Pa

The white lines are reflections from louvers.

67466618-81CA-4C4D-8C61-20EE9A56C81F.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel