The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Bent BMR Motor Mounts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
A friend send me this from his 3V race car. His BMR motor mounts looked like this after only three weekends. Have you seen this happen before?

I just dropped in some BMR motor mounts to replace my old stock ones as I didn't wanted to go full solid just yet for dual duty. Not so sure if I want to keep the BMR ones now. Thoughts?
7F50B4BF-8793-4CAD-BE27-AA31C6384320.jpeg

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Was he using the solid mounts, or the poly red or black? I ran the solid ones for about 15 minutes, the fekkin' car felt like it would vibrate apart. Reds too soft, black was just right. So far no issues after 2 years, but I check all the fasteners after every event, I have found them to occasionally back off a bit. No sign of bending like that though.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
This is what I have:

I got a set of their solid aluminum bushings but it was just ignorant bad with them in place, I figured I'd be spending all my time tightening nuts and bolts and fixing cracked welds. I tried red poly, too soft, but black poly worked, well controlled engine movement and acceptable NVH.
This was when the car was still being used on the road, now that it's pretty much track only it might be more acceptable, but I find the engine movement is very minimal with what I have now. Solids might be fine in a purpose built race car, but on a converted road car it's pretty ugly NVH.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
This is what I have:

I got a set of their solid aluminum bushings but it was just ignorant bad with them in place, I figured I'd be spending all my time tightening nuts and bolts and fixing cracked welds. I tried red poly, too soft, but black poly worked, well controlled engine movement and acceptable NVH.
This was when the car was still being used on the road, now that it's pretty much track only it might be more acceptable, but I find the engine movement is very minimal with what I have now. Solids might be fine in a purpose built race car, but on a converted road car it's pretty ugly NVH.
You’re making me nervous about going with the Watson solid mounts! It’ll be dedicated track car from here forward, so hopefully tolerable for track use only.
F0E97EC6-579D-4CF9-807E-65A9AC47D1B9.jpeg

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I think a race prepped car with open exhaust is not going to be unacceptable NVH, headers and open pipes will cover up a ton of NVH. I run stock mufflers but no resonator in order to keep the sound gods happy at a couple of tracks so I still feel and hear a lot of NVH with the solid mounts.
But for sure you'll be wanting to nut and bolt religiously.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
I got another car that is half solid and half durometer. Shakes pretty good at idle but mellows down at cruising RPM of 3500. Not looking forward to have that in the Mustang just yet.

@JDee I got the same kit, but I require all bushings to keep the engine at the correct height, if not my oil pan will be the lowest point of the car and that would be bad news. Did you just leave one of the red bushings out?
1644968442799.png

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
A friend send me this from his 3V race car. His BMR motor mounts looked like this after only three weekends. Have you seen this happen before?

I just dropped in some BMR motor mounts to replace my old stock ones as I didn't wanted to go full solid just yet for dual duty. Not so sure if I want to keep the BMR ones now. Thoughts?
View attachment 72636
I have the same ones, mine seem to be flat but that's really interesting - I wonder if they changed materials at some point or thickness

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I got another car that is half solid and half durometer. Shakes pretty good at idle but mellows down at cruising RPM of 3500. Not looking forward to have that in the Mustang just yet.

@JDee I got the same kit, but I require all bushings to keep the engine at the correct height, if not my oil pan will be the lowest point of the car and that would be bad news. Did you just leave one of the red bushings out?
View attachment 72659

TBH, I can't remember about height but I suspect I kept it stock. Car's buried in the garage under a ton of junk (just moved) and can't get at it to see!

I have a Moroso 10 quart oil pan and don't have any concerns about it being really low, my trans outlet fitting for the trans cooler is the lowest point on the car so it would get knocked off first and I'm pretty sure 8 litres or so of trans oil on the track would net some flags! I'm sourcing a banjo bolt to try and change that situation.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel