The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blowfish Racing Shifter Fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
The upper and lower brackets are the same. The new isolating mount and clamp will bolt up to the upper bracket where the original clamp did.

The parts will be offered as a retrofit kit.

pufferfish said:
The upper and lower brackets are the same. The new isolating mount and clamp will bolt up to the upper bracket where the original clamp did.

sounds good, ready to order it up, sounds easy to change out. I still have the prototype installed and the blue one in the box. I'll swap them out after I grab the new isolation mount and clamp. Thanks for the continued efforts to improve upon your great invention.

@pufferfish

will the new-designed rear bracket for the MGW-shifter only avoid contact to the studs or will it have some rubber or so inside to reduce vibration and noise inside the car?

thank you for answering!

Hans

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Hans

I installed the Blowfish bracket with my MGW shifter a few weeks back.

Took the Boss to VIR last week. ZERO issues with shifting or noise.

When installing the MGW rear mount you do need to ensure the bracket from MGW is installed with max clearance relative to the old mounting studs. One direction is very close and could cause issues. The other direction provides plenty of room avoiding contact between the studs and MGW mount.

Very happy with the results. I ALWAYS had issues shifting to third on track. I never missed a shift with the new set up.

Tracy

i had the same issues before , and since installing the blowfish bracket shifting is great, no shifting-issues anymore! I didn´t reinstall the MGW-Heatshield. At first i had a hard rattling after installing the Blowfish bracket (contact with studs), so i cutted the edges of the rear-mount of the MGW. The rattling is gone now , but it is much louder inside the car now, especially when revving the engine, and there are much more vibrations. Because i use my Boss as a daily driver, it is too uncomfortable for me. For reinstalling the heatshield again after modifying it i have to go to my dealer again, because i have no opportunity to lift the car. So i dont know if it is better to wait for a new, redesigned rear mount from blowfish for the MGW instead of using the original MGW rear bracket.

kind regards from germany

Hans

pufferfish said:

I assume it will be available from CJ Pony and from Blowfish directly. Just got my new bracket last week. I guess I should install it first and see if I need the retro fit or not.

Won't know until the spring.

For what its worth... If you have the stock shifter, the bracket kit makes a world of difference in shift feel and accuracy. I did not have any added NVH. With the latest version of MGW shifter and the bracket much the same. With MGW shifter only, not a significant difference when compared to MGW and shift bracket. As discussed in other parts of the forum, I believe the shifting issues I have are caused by the stock clutch in my car. Of course any time you remove large insulators like the stock shift assembly rubbers, NVH will increase.

dabossinne said:
So it sounds like the vibration issues are mostly happening with aftermarket shifters (MGW and Barton/FRPP). Any vibes with the OEM shifter?

I have the OEM shifter with a very loud buzzing after installing the Blowfish bracket.

The noise isn't from the shift knob itself, it's somewhere in the shifter assembly resonating upward.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
its all supposed to come together this week. i am waiting on a couple of parts to show up yet, but have been told they will be here this week.

Just got my shifter bracket about a month ago. Haven't installed it yet, as there is no rush as the car is parked for the winter. Planing on getting it installed in the new year and hopefully I don't have the NVH problems. If I do, hopefully the "fix" won't be to expensive, as I am in Canada and sometimes the duty and shipping is a biznitch. Let us know if CJ Pony will have the part, at least that will make it easier for us north of the 49th.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
CJ has opted out of the retrofit kits, so they will be direct through the blowfish site only. they will be $40 plus shipping. to help out gen 1 customers, i am going to offer a "core return" style refund. buy the retrofit kit, swap the new parts for the old ones, send the old parts back and receive a $40 refund. the core return offer will be for a limited time.

that doesn't make it super-easy on international customers, unfortunately. international orders are not currently supported on the site, but can be arranged via email.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
pufferfish said:
CJ has opted out of the retrofit kits, so they will be direct through the blowfish site only. they will be $40 plus shipping. to help out gen 1 customers, i am going to offer a "core return" style refund. buy the retrofit kit, swap the new parts for the old ones, send the old parts back and receive a $40 refund. the core return offer will be for a limited time.

that doesn't make it super-easy on international customers, unfortunately. international orders are not currently supported on the site, but can be arranged via email.

Hi Steve:

That is a great Customer Support Program for your existing customer base.

PS: I received my Blowfish Racing front Tow Hook and Splitter Support Bar from you last week, looks like a real nice product! Thank you so much,

Dave
302 Hi Pro

pufferfish said:

Wow, that's really generous. Thanks again for design and fix. Looking forward to installing the retro fit.

Chris

pufferfish said:

Would the same offer stand for the MGW retrofit kit?

pufferfish said:

That sounds very reasonable. Love dealing with companies that stand behind their products. I will watch out for the retrofit program.

pufferfish said:

That is great news. We be checking in often & will be ordering the retrofit kit as soon as available.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
retrofit kits are now available!
https://www.blowfishracing.com/home/100-2011-2014-mustang-v6gtboss-shifter-support-retrofit-kit.html

here's the deal:
normal retail is $79.99 plus shipping.
from now until 12/24/2014, the kit will be on sale for $40 plus shipping.
all purchases within the promotional period will qualify for a $40 rebate by returning the original machined parts (2 clamp halves and mgw adapter block) within 60 days of purchase (exceptions will be made for international customers).

i have a limited quantity of 20 units ready to ship tomorrow. remaining stock will be coming shortly after.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel