Bob's Ton of Posts!

Discussion in 'The Paddock' started by Grant 302, Sep 22, 2017.

1. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

JDee, Good luck with your ice storm, They're never fun..I hope your power can survive. When does spring get to your neck of the woods?

2. The_Dead_Cow

The_Dead_Cow TMO Intermediate

Meanwhile in Arizona, it's 100 deg. We skipped winter & spring YAY!

3. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

TDC, I'm Sure you have heard many tymes before..It's hot there but it's a dry heat. B.S. in my book! Hot is Hot!!!Especially when you hit 100!! I'm enjoying low 70's here today...tomorrow, winter returns with 40's. If summer around here stayed in the high 70's-low 80's I'd be a happy camper especially when that humidity creeps in....;)....altho the tomato plants like it a little dicier than that.............

4. JDee

JDee Ancient Racer

Well it should have been here 2 weeks ago at the latest but it's been really crappy weather. This 2 day ice storm is no joke though, lots of issues and another day to go. We just got power back on, it was out for about 4-5 hours.

I singlehandedly restored power to the entire area, I decided to gas up my big generator and plug it into the pony panel and without a word of a lie, within 3-4 minutes of firing it up I had the grid back up and running. A legend is born. LOL!!!!:):):):p:p:p

TymeSlayer and 302BOB like this.
  5. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

We live out in the sticks. Bad weather was knocking out the power every 3-4 months. Either ice on lines or bone heads taking out power poles when it rained. Why would a power company put a pole at the outside of a curve. So we bought a 17KV generator Auto switch, real nice. Yep, as one would suspect, no power outages for 3 years after install. A few since.

6. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

I'm thinking about a Generac outside the home auto system.The only drawback is it is run by natural gas or propane, which I have neither coming to my house. Another problem may be it hooks up to your circuit breaker box but I'm still on fuses...I know I should have updated a long tyme ago! A backup power source is always a good investment...............JDee, You're the Hero of the day!

JDee likes this.
  7. TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...

Bob,

Do you still rub two sticks together for heat? Are you talking about a screw-in fuse? I bet it's been 30 years since I saw one of those.

8. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

Tyme, Yes I still use those blue 15W screw in fuses. You think it's easy living like a caveman???..Good thing Home Depot still carries them...I must not be the only caveman around.

TymeSlayer likes this.
  9. TymeSlayer

I'm worried about you Bob. You got Aluminum or Copper wire in your cave?

10. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

All I got room for is the Bossmobile (in the Boss Cave).......:D..Alfred, get that phone....................This may have gone over the heads of many. Only the kids from the 60's may know what I'm referring to....;)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  11. JDee

JDee Ancient Racer

Generac or similar running on natural gas with auto transfer switch is the Caddy for sure, that's what I was going to do but building code restrictions here pretty much screwed that idea. So I went with next best, which cost about 1/10th of what the Caddy was going to cost, big generator on wheels and a manual transfer switch to a pony panel so no way generator power can get out and kill a lineman. It is more of a PITA but with proper care and attention does seem to do the job. This is the first time we've needed it in almost 5 years so it does seem a reasonable compromise. Still more freezing rain today, but so far it's been about 90% ice pellets, we have about 6-7" of it already. What a lousy spring.

12. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

I have had both systems, the pony panel and the auto switch on different homes. Both should work with the old type screw in fuses.
    This also may be a good time to invest in the generator And a new service panel.

13. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

TMSBOSS, You are SO right!!!! You pay thru the nose for home insurance (if you can find it) for homes with fuses instead of breakers. I'm figuring the conversion may set me back at least $3K?

14. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

I wish I was in your neck of the woods. I would cut you a deal.

302BOB likes this.
  15. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

You and me Both!!!

16. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

Heavy rain this AM with a couple claps of thunder with temps barely 40.Upstate had ice and sleet..this is spring, right? Still waiting for a nice SPRING day to clean up the Boss after this unrelenting winter. Temps struggling to get to 50 the rest of the week...should be near 60 this tyme of year.Rest of Bristol NASCAR race this afternoon..Kyle Larson was leading when it was stopped because of rain, after two other rain delays.Mother Nature is throwing us a curve everywhere............right drano38 and JDee?

17. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

Kyle Busch wins Bristol after a late lap bump and run with Kyle Larson...Larson not a happy camper, but he saw it coming........Them boys are just lucky I'm not out there racing with my Boss!!!...I don't want to get it dirty...:p

18. JDee

JDee Ancient Racer

It actually was a decent race, maybe they should run them all under the threat of imminent rain, these guys ran every lap as if it was the last one, which it could have been at any moment. Gotta love short track stock car racing!

302BOB likes this.
  19. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

You're right JDee, When racing like every lap could be the last, there's no holding back! You go with everything you got!.....Richmond next week..another dicey/tricky track....should be a good race.

JDee likes this.
  20. TymeSlayer

Happy 54th to the Mustang. It's just slightly younger than me!!!!

Grant 302 likes this.