The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Bob's Ton of Posts!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talledega this weekend.It's amazing how this track and Daytona were built for speed with over 2 and a half miles of racing room with high banked turns (3 stories high)...only to be slowed down in later years with restrictor plate racing. Some drivers are thankful for that..others not so much. The anticipation of the "big one" always attracts a crowd.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I've always thought that Daytona and 'Dega should have the banks knocked way down to maybe 8 - 10 degrees banking, enough so they have to slow down for the corners and even have to use the brakes somewhat. Then get rid of the plates. I wonder if that would produce something more resembling racing vs demo derby! :p

That was some ride McMurray had yesterday, tried counting the rolls, I think 8 to 10 or so?

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Speaks volumes of the safety equipment NASCAR has in these cars. I'm always amazed to see such a horrific looking accident like this and the driver walks away.

Aside from any road course, 'Dega and Daytona are my favorite tracks. Fast as fast can be.

I've always thought that Daytona and 'Dega should have the banks knocked way down to maybe 8 - 10 degrees banking, enough so they have to slow down for the corners and even have to use the brakes somewhat. Then get rid of the plates. I wonder if that would produce something more resembling racing vs demo derby! :p
Taladega and Daytona were made for speed. Restrictor plate racing made everything not as fast for everybody and made the demo derby a reality for everyone.Very effective drafting is your only chance with plate racing (survival).............Dale & Dale Jr could see the air..............

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Agree , but something had to be done. 3700 lbs racecars airborne is not the way to go.
Lowering the banking is a possible solution. I don’t see it happening..... until another driver dies.
Newman was right. NASCAR can fix the problem. They have not.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
70’s today and I am taking the Boss out, the good news. Track night at Blackhawk. 95% chance of thunderstorms during event, the bad news.
I guess I’ll have to save the money from Track night and spend it on the mustang round up. No weddings planned for this year.

86 yesterday..same expected for today. Normal highs mid 60's. Winter leaves late and summer arrives early this year. I gotta get Mother nature a calendar!!!!! Chance of late day thunderstorms for today and tomorrow here as well.

TMO Supporting Vendors