The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
As usual Shaun replies right away..... But...Oops. sent the logs to Shaun in TXT instead of CSV. Good way to start!! Just sent them again in the correct format. . Have to sort out the O2 Codes before logging again. I thought we could leave out the second sensor since the car is cat less but apparently not. Waiting for clarification from Shaun. Almost, sort of, getting to the end of this....

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well, talked to Shaun and said my logs are affected by not having the second O2 sensor installed. Apparantly, the second sensor helps keeping the calibrations within parameters. With out them "Over time the front O2’s will not be accurate." So we are going to bung them back in and re-log.

Just to be clear,, he was very clear about leaving the choice up to me about leaving the sensor off or On. But if it will affect performance... was a easy choice.

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Ok, got the next tune from Shaun and tomorrow will try logging it!! Almost ready.... Second o2 sensor is installed and car was logged the other day with out any errors so we are set for what maybe the final tune. Though me thinks it will take one more. Shaun was not sure why it was lean... am hoping its all the black magic we did on the heads and exhaust.

On the highway with about 20 deg C outside temps, its VERY hard to get the engine above 140 degrees.. So makes me think the long engine covering spiltter was to blame for the temp problems!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
In for updates!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well things are looking good!! it was about 27 degrees today, the car went an hour in traffic and then several hard pulls on the hight way. temps went up to 180 before falling right way.

Logs looked positive to my neophyte eye. Off they go to Shaun!
1602277960500.png

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Well things are looking good!! it was about 27 degrees today, the car went an hour in traffic and then several hard pulls on the hight way. temps went up to 180 before falling right way.

Logs looked positive to my neophyte eye. Off they go to Shaun!
View attachment 58808
Hows it feel?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Faster! lol...

Feels good but we have to sort out some chassis noises etc the detract from the feel. Car felt very torquey, But honeslty its hard to get a good idea with street tires and on the highway with traffic. Going by the basics (very) my max MAF flow was around 48/49 before and know its 53 lbs/min. Happy to see no signs of knock running on street 93 octane fuel. Hope to try it out on the track at the end of this month.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Again, from a very rookies point of view the car had 28 degrees of advance and the Knock added 3 more degrees and 93 gas, So all the head work must have helped. Builder spent Hours (months) firing compressed air with gas thru the heads looking for optimum fuel patterns.Throttle response felt very good

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Faster! lol...

Feels good but we have to sort out some chassis noises etc the detract from the feel. Car felt very torquey, But honeslty its hard to get a good idea with street tires and on the highway with traffic. Going by the basics (very) my max MAF flow was around 48/49 before and know its 53 lbs/min. Happy to see no signs of knock running on street 93 octane fuel. Hope to try it out on the track at the end of this month.
Sending you good racer vibes. :)

I’ve been reading your thread for awhile and always enjoyed seeing your podium pics. But when she blew up i felt terrible glad to see your builders really took a lot of time on it and it’s running good. Good luck and can’t wait to see some more podium pics

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Fingers crossed and thanks for the positive thoughts! About the MAF, everyone keeps telling me its not so simple but i want to believe!!!

Tracks are starting to have signs of life down here... but no public, family or mechanics allowed. Just the driver. Can barely wait, sick and tired of being blown away in iracing by prepubescent kids.

Should have seen the look of my shop guys when they saw they were not allowed to see their work at the track. Like kids who just found out that Santa is not the one who eats the cookies.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
It probably isn't that precise but it should be in the ballpark. If you had around 440 or 450 rwhp when your MAF was 49 then you're good.

My MAF flow rate is 50 and my rwhp is 398 - on a hot day. With a 6R80 I figure I have about a 20% powertrain loss so that puts me around 500 bhp.

When will you get yours dyno'd?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
180... °C?

Or 180° F coolant?

How do the oil pressures look?

Looks like nice power output and decent gains. Good luck eliminating the misc suspension noises.

180F, I only have engine Oil temp, oil pressure and tranny temp gauges. Oil pressure is 37psi minimum and then goes up to 75 psi from 4500and stays fixed upto redline. Which suprised me... I blame the 8 oil piston squirters and the ported oil passages. Thinking about eliminating the the whole trany cooling kit as temps are much, much lower then with the OEM MT82.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
It probably isn't that precise but it should be in the ballpark. If you had around 440 or 450 rwhp when your MAF was 49 then you're good.

My MAF flow rate is 50 and my rwhp is 398 - on a hot day. With a 6R80 I figure I have about a 20% powertrain loss so that puts me around 500 bhp.

When will you get yours dyno'd?
Looking to go to the Dyno next week!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
180F, I only have engine Oil temp, oil pressure and tranny temp gauges. Oil pressure is 37psi minimum and then goes up to 75 psi from 4500and stays fixed upto redline. Which suprised me... I blame the 8 oil piston squirters and the ported oil passages. Thinking about eliminating the the whole trany cooling kit as temps are much, much lower then with the OEM MT82.
Sounds good to me. Both pressure and temps tapped after the coolers?

Good luck with the rest of break-in and shake down runs!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Sorry about that... should learned by now not to be a spoiler.... Its the helpers who eat the cookies ok?

In the excitement to go out and log the car again I forgot to do a KAM relearn like Shaun asked. Dam and rats, I let him know just in case we need to relog. But the log does look good. What I did notice is that the JLT CAI is less efficient then the previous setup for intake air temps. It was 28C when we logged the car but air temps were still 32C at high rpm. We bought a cheap set of headlights so we can do a cutaway and get more air direct to the filter. Looking at a 3D printer for Christmas present to myself.... lots of cool things to do

TMO Supporting Vendors