BOSS 302 Race Car Build Thread

Discussion in 'Road Racing Forum' started by ArizonaBOSS, Jun 14, 2013.

1. ArizonaBOSS

ArizonaBOSS Because racecar. Moderator

Honestly I haven’t had the chance to use any of it yet. I know @captdistraction is in on that Feel VR Kickstarter so we can do some comparisons later this year. I will probably be able to use my stuff for the first time in a week or two. Nice looking computer rig!

2. DocWalt

DocWalt TMO Advanced

I'm rocking an old G27 wheel with the Fanatec V3i pedals set up to feel like my Mustang's... The pedals are WELL worth every penny. I'm waiting for Fanatec to produce a direct drive wheel, but then I'll need to reinforce my 2x4 and zip ties sim rig...

FWIW cheap equipment is fine to get started and fine for learning new tracks, race craft, basic car control, etc. but when you want the skills to directly translate to a real car you need to pony up the $$$$ to get components that are stronger and more realistic.

VR is a VERY worthwhile investment, IMO. It really helped me a lot with turning my head, I spent probably 12-15 years playing racing sims/games on a tiny single monitor so I had really bad tunnel vision in a real car. Also, it's really cool to look over and see the glowing brakes of the car you're passing :p

captdistraction and ArizonaBOSS like this.
  3. Opolis

Opolis TMO Intermediate

Fanatec Clubsport Pedals V3 w/ performance brake kit (the "plugs" not the shock absorber thing) and the V2 or 2.5 wheel are really nice for the price. PS4 branded wheel has similar internals to the v2 wheel for a little cheaper.
    Haven't tried their budget options but am interested in how their direct drive comes out.
    IMO if you want better you are looking at $1k for a direct drive wheel and $500+ for pedals like Heusinkveld or similar.

Now you guys are speaking my language! I live vicariously through these build threads and settle for sim racing most of the time ;)

DocWalt and ArizonaBOSS like this.
  4. JDee

JDee Ancient Racer

My Ghetto 3 monitor Rig:

Yes, that's 3 different monitors, even had to paint one black to make it try to match, the two sides ones are almost the same size too! AMD's Eyefinity software is very tolerant for making triple screens work. DX Racer chair with ghetto foam pad for extra comfort on scrawny old ass.

Good part is Thrustmaster T500 and pedals, have a ghetto "load cell" brake mod which is just a silicone disc to make it sort of load cell-ish. This wheel is very good, a big improvement from the Logitech G27 without quite the cost of a Fanatec.

PC is a build from, I dunno maybe 2012 or so? Intel i5-2550K overclocked to 4.4 Ghz on air since new and still humming along just fine, Gigabyte Mobo, 8 Gig of ram, 2 SSDS and 2 HDDs, AMD 270X video. Lives in a newish Fractal Design Define R5 case. Believe it or not this old girl runs pretty much every racing sim out there with the important video details on high at better than 60 fps.

Used to spend a lot of time on iRacing (which should really be called iWrecking these days) but lately I've been stuck on the Nordschleiffe tourist on AC doing hot lapping only, total blast of a track that is. AC has a stock '15 Mustang PP1 which feels pretty realistic, though it wallows a lot more than my car did when it was bone stock. And a pile of well done GT2 and GT3 cars. A lot of fun doing hot laps on that track.

I could be nuts, but I really do think time spent on these sims really does help real world driving, for sure it keeps the hand/eye coordination sharp.

20180620_145433.jpg

20180620_145521.jpg

DocWalt and RES_22 like this.
  5. kitsune1324

kitsune1324 TMO Beginner

Just gonna put this out there, I've tried triple monitor, ultra-wide, and VR. VR is a completely different and awesome experience.
    Any reason you're going with iRacing and project cars instead of other sims like Assetto Corsa?

6. DocWalt

DocWalt TMO Advanced

iRacing has competition. That's the #1 reason to do iRacing over any other sim. If you're just out to have fun any sim works.

7. ArizonaBOSS

cholmes1 and DocWalt like this.
  8. steeda5

steeda5 TMO Advanced

9. steeda5

steeda5 TMO Advanced

Drew, do you run a return fuel line/fuel regulator with that new fuel cell? Or keep the factory return less design?

10. ArizonaBOSS

@steeda5 I am going to remove everything except the factory injector rails and replace with new -6AN line; will have a return but the pressure regulator and return line will be contained within the "trunk" compartment and closeout bulkhead--so the "return loop" will only be a couple feet at most. Single line will run up to the front of the car and I have provisions to run a pressure sender to log pressure with AIM. As long as the car has 55psi under WOT everything is all good.

11. the5

the5 TMO Advanced

On the 302R they welded 6 an fittings to the factory fuel and evap Line, works really well.
    Lighter and solid metal under the car so less chance to get damaged.

ArizonaBOSS likes this.
  12. Tommy J

Tommy J TMO Advanced

Such an awesome narrative, videos and pictures! Thanks for sharing your experience and work with these cars!

ArizonaBOSS likes this.
  13. ArizonaBOSS

Yeah I remember your post from FB when I asked about this. Not too crazy about cutting the factory lines and/or welding that stuff, will just be "easier" for me to run a -6 all the way up using the factory routing.

14. ArizonaBOSS

Fuel Cell going in...

Car on the lift w/ rear glass removed in preparation for Optic Armor:
    [​IMG]

Spare Tire Well cut away:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Box positioning for "cage" locations:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Cage" for the cell.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should be back in my hands next week sometime, then the wiring and piping work begins.
    I bought a couple of factory-style quick-disconnect AN -6 hose ends, so I may be able to simply route the fuel feed line under the car to where the stock tank attaches at the quick-connect point and just plug in right there, re-using the stock line after all. We shall see :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  15. ArizonaBOSS

Looks like the cell itself is in the car. Now they have to fabricate the bulkhead and install the rear lexan. Sounds like I am picking up the car this Thursday, after which my portion of the work can begin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. ArizonaBOSS

Rear bulkhead/closeout is fabricated. Just needs a coat of satin black and that's completed.
    Then the Lexan goes in as the icing on the cake, presumably supported by a couple metal strips for rigidity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cholmes1, TymeSlayer, DocWalt and 3 others like this.
  17. Grant 302

Grant 302 OPM Spent: $509,979 Moderator

Smart. Looks great!

18. ArizonaBOSS

Bringing the car home today. Some photos of the final steps in-progress:

Figuring out supports for the lexan; painted bulkhead closeout:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fuel cell and protective cage mounted at same height as spare tire well. I would have preferred it to be a few inches lower, but it's in there. Stealthy. I won't need to carry anywhere near a full fuel load most times anyways. Also no issues with ground clearance when loading/unloading either.

[​IMG]

Optic Armor is IN!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got all the final bits for the fuel line plumbing and sourced a bunch of stuff to make a trans cooler for the T56. First step when I am able to work on the car again will be to drop the stock fuel tank and change all existing fluids. After that, I'll wire and plumb the fuel cell and trans cooler.
    Aiming to hit a local test day towards the end of August to give everything a shakedown before COTA in mid-September.

Apex3V, DocWalt, TymeSlayer and 3 others like this.
  19. The_Dead_Cow

The_Dead_Cow Mike

Looks great! Interested to hear how it handles with the new tank.

Grant 302 likes this.
  20. ArizonaBOSS

I have been cranking out little bits of work here and there over the course of the past couple weeks but it has been very HOT outside here in AZ!

First thing was to get the stock fuel tank out of the car. Had to remove the driveshaft and disassemble the exhaust from the mid-pipe back:
    [​IMG]

After that I started working on making the AN lines for the fuel routing from the cell itself. The cell has an electric pump inside a surge tank in the rear center of the cell. This pumps out through a -6AN connection. Before it gets to the fuel filter (large black cylinder), I installed a Staubli dry-break fitting in case I want to pump-out to fuel jugs for storage or to be very certain how much fuel I have in the tank.
    [​IMG]

This past weekend I started work on the wiring to support the fuel pump, as well as a transmission cooler (which will be installed shortly in the now-vacant passenger side of the stock fuel tank location), and included pre-wiring for a duplicate cooler setup which will be used for the differential in the not-too-distant future. The good news for this portion of the work was that I got to do it inside in the air conditioning :) All three of these modules will be controlled from switches already installed in my Watson center stack switch panel.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, last night I was able to get my bulkhead fittings drilled and tightened, which will pass the fuel through to the underside of the car. I will soon connect adapters to use the stock pressure line to send fuel to the engine bay, and I will run a -6AN line back to the fuel cell in place of the stock vapor line, so that should all route pretty cleanly. I will be done with work in the trunk soon, once I get one more fitting to attach the cell vent line and connect the wiring for the pump.

[​IMG]

I have a lot of other work to do to the car including fabricating the trans cooler setup, installing larger brake ducting, replacing caliper seals, and installing fresh rotor rings. Oh yeah and then I will have to re-balance the car... Going to be a lot of work between now and a test day upcoming on 8/25 to make sure everything works correctly. Cross your fingers.

TymeSlayer, Apex3V, Fabman and 5 others like this.