The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 BOSS 302 Race Car Build Thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo said:
Did you weigh the pile of debris for a report to our weight savings thread? Good job, can't wait to see the transformation progress. Good luck with it.
Steve
LOL at least I didn't get the jab this time :p

Looking gooooooood Drew.

steveespo said:
Cool, did you ever wish you saved up for a 302S? I do sometimes, but alot of the fun is working on it and building it yourself.
Steve
I've thought about it once or two hundred times, but the way I see it they're still modding those so at the end of the day you just start about $40k higher :p

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
steveespo said:
Cool, did you ever wish you saved up for a 302S? I do sometimes, but alot of the fun is working on it and building it yourself.
Steve

That would be ideal but I already spent 5 years planning, saving, and executing for this. I think that's the limit of my patience.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
ArizonaGT said:
I am "working from home" tomorrow aka finishing removing the sound deadening during business hours ;)
Nice! I have been tempted to play hooky the past 2 weeks as I have much work left to get my car back on track.

The comment about weighing the sound deadening wasn't meant as a jab, just wanted to see how much is really on there weight wise. Does anyone have an estimate for it? Ford or one of the race teams? I am silly about details like that.
Steve

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I can weigh my bucket of crud when I'm done, then dump the stuff and weigh the empty bucket. We'll see how much is there. Will probably only be an 80% measurement though, my vacuum is getting a lot of feeding.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
5-gallon bucket about 1/4 way full

dVOf09c.jpg

Slowly making progress on the passenger side:

phfpqLv.jpg

And the trunk...

5CG87Si.jpg

Time to jump in the pool for a cool-down then go find some lunch!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
This is all the sound deadening goop in the body of the car plus about 20% of the seam sealer. 2.5 gals volume, 10.6 lbs weight.

ovXG1Z8.jpg

I have an 8"x8" section of deadener left to remove, then I can wipe down the exposed areas with goof-off to remove any remaining junk. Then the dash goes back in, wiring re-connected, coolant re-filled, and car re-fired!

Car heads to the shop for cage this Thursday, which will be the last time I drive it on the street!

ArizonaGT said:
This is all the sound deadening goop in the body of the car plus about 20% of the seam sealer. 2.5 gals volume, 10.6 lbs weight.

I think I am adding that back to the front after all the take off mods. This thing is huge and the weight is there even without the four extra quarts of oil.

CIMG4206_zps62fa28c0.png

YellowBoss said:
I think I am adding that back to the front after all the take off mods. This thing is huge and the weight is there even without the four extra quarts of oil.

CIMG4206_zps62fa28c0.png

By posting that pic you are now obligated to start an install thread with dozens of pics. I think that'll be a great mod for reducing peak oil temps.

Fat Boss said:
By posting that pic you are now obligated to start an install thread with dozens of pics. I think that'll be a great mod for reducing peak oil temps.

Kinda only need two pics? One after flipping the motor upside down to install and one when I flip it back over ;D

It is more about starving the engine for oil in turns and braking then cooling but the exta does help. Since it mostly a track car I was warned to get this put in and not by a FR guy trying to sell parts. The little flapper doors are pretty 8)

CIMG4162_zpsf549fef4.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Made some progress last couple nights. All the sound deadening goop is removed from the cabin!

5izqs8J.jpg

Also I got the dash back in the car, and the car fired and coolant purged! I forgot how good this car sounds :)

pz4o18x.jpg

3z2cJmS.jpg

Tonight she gets an oil change and adjustable front swaybar end links, then I can slap the wheels back on her and put her down on the ground!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Also I got a screaming deal on an AIM MXL Pista dash/datalogger system so that will be getting installed before the car hits the track.

Awesome. Checking this thread for updates makes my day! Its a bummer I can see most of the photos due to my crappy web browser @ work, so I usually read everything then fire up the site on my phone so I can see the pictures!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
OK:

Strano/UMI adjustable front bar endlinks installed, oil and filter changed, coolant purged again, and the car is back on the ground!

She just needs a quick vacuuming tomorrow then I can put in the temporary seat and drive her to the fab shop! She sits a little higher now, we'll have to rectify that once the cage and various race gear is installed.

SiuSGl3.jpg

Also my wife brought home a little teardrop trailer today...neat!

pE9IWRe.jpg

2uk0Tv5.gif

TMO Supporting Vendors