The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302 verse gt500 power decision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

"Sinter Forged" rods. Which my understanding is technically a powder metal with a little different process. Kind of like how Full Synthetic can be put on cracked oils and not just ones created in a lab.

gremlin, I will probably eventually do the headers/cams/tune route too, but trying to keep it TTA legal for now. It was more the changing the short block that seemed odd considering aside from the heads that is pretty much what you are paying for on the Boss other than the name.

i know. it was just a thought. heck, i have not even gotten mine yet. still sitting at area 51.
plus then i need to get my stuff back in order. got my scca stuff active again already. have one local track to me in angelton but i have never been there. then there is texas world speedway.

id love to hit up watkins glenn or ra sometime too...

i think ill stick with what i have for a while. maybe do as you are thinking..headers cam and tune later.

LS or regular? I would start with the LS brake and tranny cooling stuff, and the 302S or CJ grill (or cut your stock grill) and the other durability mods if you are going to track it. Then from there whatever you want. I am keeping mine warranty friendly for now.

I want to try out RA someday, my buddy used to live there and keep talking about it.

Forged steel rods your not going to hurt them to easy. Forged aluminum pistons and a forged steel crank pretty simple the rotating assemble has proven high hp now when you talk of 9000rpm well good luch with many different forged parts they have to be specific for that.

its a ls. SBY one.
i was thinking of cutting my grill and adding my own mess. do the lower opening also as i cringed everytime i see clou9's a/c condenser core...lol

I just realized yours is a 13, so you don't have the same issue the 12s have. Duh.

You mean the screen thing on the radiator? I'm considering that too. I should have gotten an LS, since I am planning on adding everything but the rear seat delete, but I don't like silver and black is too high maintenance. And personally I like the 12 looks better, though the 13s really started growing on me especially white and red. If you decide to put on an aftermarket suspension, sell me your dampers and springs ;D

Sure will
I started looking at the boss also. Leaned to the
Ls once i thought about it

Maybe one day once these are all delivered we can have
Our own track day. That would be nice
Bmo forum track day

Tough because we are so spread out. You can rent Thunderhill here for 3k/day with corner workers and stuff, not sure what the max number of people for that price is though. We usually have 6-10 people.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
CaliMR said:
You mean the screen thing on the radiator? I'm considering that too.

Got mine last week from Speedway, ships in a big box the size of the sheet, so that adds to the shipping cost. Was 19.99 plus 13 and change for shipping to NH. Pete reported no increase in temps on the thread he started on this, so it's no brainer cheap insurance to keep your radiator protected. I plan on pulling it every winter when the Boss gets put away and pressure washing the debris out of it.

gremlinsteve said:
i understand that. pm forgings.
from what i heard. correct me if i am wrong.

id love to get my hands on a roadrunner...just for giggles tear it down and have a look see

Ok the way you do a forging is you have the semi melted metal and run it through a stamp/forging strike some can be striken many times depending on how accurite you want the part before machining I know this one simply because we get forged parts here where I work. These are great rods they are the last thing I would worrie about I would be more worried of the drive train braking before the engine. Forged not pm ;D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTeY74UCMpQ
Please watch if you think these are pm THEY ARE NOT.... ;D

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
gremlinsteve said:
i know ...no offense taken btw. i have that little devil on my shoulder saying do this..and on the other one is the voice of reason saying you bought this car so you would not need to do that..
Me too that my issue

jeepinocala said:
gremlinsteve said:
i understand that. pm forgings.
from what i heard. correct me if i am wrong.

id love to get my hands on a roadrunner...just for giggles tear it down and have a look see

Ok the way you do a forging is you have the semi melted metal and run it through a stamp/forging strike some can be striken many times depending on how accurite you want the part before machining I know this one simply because we get forged parts here where I work. These are great rods they are the last thing I would worrie about I would be more worried of the drive train braking before the engine. Forged not pm ;D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTeY74UCMpQ
Please watch if you think these are pm THEY ARE NOT.... ;D

I think you may both be somewhat correct. The Boss rods are PM, but then sintered and forged. I would expect a forged sintered rod to be better than a simple forged rod. One reason for using sintering is that you can make alloys of materials that won't normally alloy - that is, you can blend powders and make an alloy that would not work in a liquid form.

So, you could make a better material by sintering, and still have all of the advantages of forging. All that being said, I am no metallurgist ;)

However, I do agree completely with Jeep here in that I would first worry about the drivetrain in this car (trans, driveshaft, etc.) before I would worry about any of the engine internals.

Also to note engine built like this one when or if they fail it seems to always end up failing at the piston. I am would not be afraid to put 250 hp of nos in this engine the way it is built.

What motor was it they would make the rods in one piece then crack them at the joints so they fit perfectly? I remember reading about it and thinking it was way cool, even if it didn't add any extra strength in reality (I would guess it does but never saw independent testing)

This is such a good question since I have a bit of that "more is better" disease ;)

I still keep going back to the balance of the Boss, though - and the fact that I like it naturally aspirated. Kind of an homage, throwback sort of way. 650+ HP and 200 mph is really tempting, but I'm not sure how many places it is usable. I'd like to track my Boss, and for a newbie to track days, I think the stock engine is more than enough to get in trouble with :eek: Plus the side exhausts are the bomb ;D

That being said, I'm glad there are guys who will take the engine to the next level and share the results here.

The boss is a great track car for damn sure more power would help after youve been tracking for a while in it I am more trying to street strip maybe some track time but not much since there is no real good way to fix it through any insurance it would just cost too much anyway I just want to have that car I enjoy be a little rough under the hood and have found a great place for what I want and what most have commented of check their web site out and what they have for the boss it is pretty sweet and they are 100% a proven shop/company http://www.modularmustangracing.com/

I am serious of their supercharger more of VERY serious My warrante will run out what 3 years or 36000 well for me it will be 3 years since I offset my driveing with my wife's f150 and my Harley so I need to save and now cause I dont know how long I can wait ;D

302BOB said:
Jeep, You keep sounding more & more like you want more & more. I definitely see a super charger in your future. Good luck with your mods. Don't forget to beef up the drive-train.

I am terrible of doing these things my last Hayabusa by the time I was finished it was one sick bike this will I am more then sure become one hell of a fast car since the gt500 has such a high price tag before I pay that one I would rather just build this one a bit I just want 150 to 200 more hp that should do the job.

MA
Guys,

I have a Procharger D1SC polished head unit and bracket, IDS 72# injectors, KB BAP, etc... all sitting in the corner of my garage in a great big box. This was the setup I had on my 2011 GT auto before I bought the Boss. The injectors are brand new, never been out of the box, and I have 2 pullies, one for 10 psi and the other for 14 psi.

If you want it, pm me. I will let it go for 4k to a forum member here. I have found there is a ton of interest for the kit at this price, but no one has come through so I'm just throwing it out there for the sake of if anyone wants it. My auto GT went 11.01 shutting down at the 1,000' mark ( had auto trans shifting issues in my tune).

I have no plans to supercharge my Boss. I like HPDE too much, and the NA power is perfect. But I also drag race, so I am ordering my LT's this week, with an AED tune. That for me should be perfect. Plus I hate the smell of the cats when I pull in my garage.

Back on topic, the 2013 Shelby is great, but I like a lighter, more direct feeling car. The Boss 302 is as heavy a car as I ever want, and it hides it weight very well! Besides, its darn near impossbile to put down over 500 rwhp on the street without constantly needing tires, and it puts a real damper on your license if you get pulled over doing a 60-130 romp. The Boss is kinda slow in that speed range so it keeps me out of trouble, lol.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel