The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss resale value

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I think 2012-13 Boss resale will depend on how good the GT350 really is, and how much it costs.

I don't have cable, so I don't see the car auction shows very often, but there was one on NBC the other day (Saturday?). I was actually quite shocked at how low some of the older cars were selling. There was a seemingly pristine '66 GTO tri-power that went for about $60,000. I don't think that is a lot more than they were going for a few years ago. It seems like the super-rare cars are going into the stratosphere, but more everyday muscle cars have kind of leveled out.

It makes me really, really wish I had gone after a Laguna Seca. I think we'll be seeing regular Bosses in the $20's soon, if they have a few miles on them. I think the LS models are going to be the big winners in resale, especially the 2013 black models. Regular Bosses will do better than run of the mill GT's, but no one who bought new will be making money anytime soon, if ever.

Very, very few cars ever actually appreciate in inflation-adjusted dollars, and the ones that do seem to be either ultra-rare, or complete sleepers. Who would have thought that a 2009 Pontiac Solstice coupe would be $40,000 used? On the other hand, the BMW 1M seemed destined to be a collectible in my mind. I was one year short of being able to snag one of those. They are steadily appreciating already.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Aside from the fact that my only investment interest in buying this car was strictly from a fun factor point of view and because I was reaching back to my youth like when I had my '69 Boss,early indications seem to point to these '12 & '13s holding their value. I look at that as gravy.

The only reason I care about resale is because I have toyed with the idea of buying a '13 SBY LS. Having both model years would be cool, and at least one of them should be an LS if I decide to do it. Not sure my wife would understand why I want another car like the one I already have, but I'm sure I'll think of something!

I'm not sure the Boss will be in the 20s unless it's say 20k plus miles. I think they will hold strong 30k+ especially with the gt350 costing 25k more. Even a 15 Gt with options is mid 40s Think about it, 03-04 cobra with lower miles are still mid 20s.

My opinion is that if anyone drove the old 60's mustangs and grew up loving them, then our 12 & 13 is the last of the live axle. Other than a Cobra Jet, I don't see Ford ever making them again. The Mustang will never again be true to it's roots. I feel our Boss's will eventually go up in value on the Collectability standpoint. It's the last and touted as the fastest Mustang ever made. And that will hold up as far as live axle mustangs like the originals. The new generation is totally different and will never ride like a true Mustang to me anyhow. I learned to drive in a 66 mustang and I will never forget that feeling. So if anyone wants a live axle Mustang 10 to 20 years from now, and if they want the fastest best handling one, they will pay top dollar to add a Boss to their collection. Just my opinion. :p I also think the 13 and 14 GT500 will be somewhat in the same boat. Hope I'm right.

Chris

Values aside I can comment from first hand experience that selling your Boss right now is a definite challenge, even a very low mileage example in immaculate condition for a seriously reasonable and competitive price. Nothing but ridiculous low ball offers. I finally pulled the plug on my adds as I'd rather hang on to it then give it away.

Noellenchris said:
My opinion is that if anyone drove the old 60's mustangs and grew up loving them, then our 12 & 13 is the last of the live axle. Other than a Cobra Jet, I don't see Ford ever making them again. The Mustang will never again be true to it's roots. I feel our Boss's will eventually go up in value on the Collectability standpoint. It's the last and touted as the fastest Mustang ever made. And that will hold up as far as live axle mustangs like the originals. The new generation is totally different and will never ride like a true Mustang to me anyhow. I learned to drive in a 66 mustang and I will never forget that feeling. So if anyone wants a live axle Mustang 10 to 20 years from now, and if they want the fastest best handling one, they will pay top dollar to add a Boss to their collection. Just my opinion. :p I also think the 13 and 14 GT500 will be somewhat in the same boat. Hope I'm right.

Chris

With all due respect, I think you are going to be disappointed. Having a live axle is *not* going to be a selling point for the Boss 20 years from now. Yes, you and I grew up with live axle muscle cars, but the people who will be buying cars 20 years from now are growing up with turbocharged IRS cars with tons of electronics and AWD in many cases. The Boss is going to look like a dinosaur. Also, the numbers on the GT350 are going to annihilate the Boss. Think about a 1967-68 Mustang GT 390 vs. a 1969-70 Mach I Cobra Jet 428. The GT 390 is a sweet car and has appreciated, but in the big scheme of things, someone looking for appreciation would have been better off going with a Mach I over a '67-68 GT unless the GT had the extremely rare 428.

The cars that have held value or appreciated the past few years? Acura NSX, Honda S2000, Nissan GT-R, Subaru STi, Mitusbishi Evo, Mazda RX7 Turbo, Toyota Supra Turbo, BMW M-series. Find a good one of these and put it away for a few years. The NSX has already taken off, but the others can still be found. Less than five years ago you could find a really nice, low mile NSX in the $25K range, now they are over $40K.

http://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2013/05/13/Japanesecars

Value is to subjective. I don't believe any mass production car will be worth much in the future as a whole. The cars like the Ford GT, NSX etc will be, but they are much more on the exotic side of cars than ours are. Sure there will be a few, very low mileage BOSS cars, worth much more than average to a few rich guys, but I wouldnt expect to get rich on mine. I don't think the dinosaur thing will be a factor, because to us now a BOSS 429 is a dinosaur, and they are going for tons of cash. It will be one of us who had one, gained a lot of memories in it, sold it, and became rich later in life that puts up big money for one. JMHO

coboss said:
With all due respect, I think you are going to be disappointed. Having a live axle is *not* going to be a selling point for the Boss 20 years from now. Yes, you and I grew up with live axle muscle cars, but the people who will be buying cars 20 years from now are growing up with turbocharged IRS cars with tons of electronics and AWD in many cases. The Boss is going to look like a dinosaur. Also, the numbers on the GT350 are going to annihilate the Boss. Think about a 1967-68 Mustang GT 390 vs. a 1969-70 Mach I Cobra Jet 428. The GT 390 is a sweet car and has appreciated, but in the big scheme of things, someone looking for appreciation would have been better off going with a Mach I over a '67-68 GT unless the GT had the extremely rare 428.

The cars that have held value or appreciated the past few years? Acura NSX, Honda S2000, Nissan GT-R, Subaru STi, Mitusbishi Evo, Mazda RX7 Turbo, Toyota Supra Turbo, BMW M-series. Find a good one of these and put it away for a few years. The NSX has already taken off, but the others can still be found. Less than five years ago you could find a really nice, low mile NSX in the $25K range, now they are over $40K.

http://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2013/05/13/Japanesecars

I agree that in 20 years our cars would be dinosaurs, but so will many others. The difference I feel is that there is no 2014,15,16 etc. Boss 302's. When they make a new model better every year of the GTR or BMW or even the Shelby's, the value will drop fast. Look at the 2012 GT 500, who wants that when the 13 has 100hp more? The Boss will never again be produced remotely close to what the original Boss was. If the Boss was a decal car, it wouldn't make sense to think the car would hold value. The Supra's and S2000's weren't made every year and they are becoming more valuable.

I don't expect the Boss to hold value though in the short term. I feel it would be at least 10yrs before a few collectors start looking to add one to their collections. And in 10yrs how many will be for sale? I doubt you will find more than 2 in the country listed some place. Those that raced, crashed, heavily modded, sold and daily drove them will be out there. But how many stock with 5k or less miles will be around.

Demand will be small and so will the amount up for sale. So, we can only speculate what we think. As for me, if I had the opportunity to own an original Boss and let it go for pennies, I'd kick myself in the butt. I wasn't going to miss my chance to grab a Boss now when I could. I don't plan on selling it, I'll drive it some while I can. Then it will be put away for the kids to do as they please when I'm gone.

I also think in 20yrs we will be hard pressed to find any gas engine performance cars being produced. The drag strip will be silent with electric dragsters, and the circuits will be similar. But maybe i'm wrong. This is just my gut feeling, especially when you see the Tesla's banging out 1/4 mile times faster than most muscle cars. Ugh....:(

So if your selling your boss in the next few years and think your gonna make some money, I think your crazy. It's gonna take many years and there will be buyers for the few that are left.

Boss mac said:
I'm not sure the Boss will be in the 20s unless it's say 20k plus miles. I think they will hold strong 30k+ especially with the gt350 costing 25k more. Even a 15k with options is mid 40s Think about it, 03-04 cobra with lower miles are still mid 20s.

By the end of 2015 I predict we'll see some Bosses going in the 20's. A few lower mile cars have already dipped into the low 30's. A 2012 Kona/White with 4000 miles went for $33K on eBay last week. Original owner, no damage, etc.

Heck, there is a zero mile 2013 Boss 302s on eBay right now for $75K. That surprises me. If there was *any* way to get that thing on the street I'd buy it and sell my 2013 Boss.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
It is much to early to speculate on value. Check back after ten years and any indication of value will start taking form.

I know I bought my 1969 Boss for $2500 in 1974. It was five years old and MSRP was around $3500. Not too bad I suppose - around 30% in five-six years. Yep it's a dinosaur now. Saw one go for over $140K recently. The dinosaur argument just doesn't always ring true. All I know is I'd love to be around in 25 years to see where the market for these cars are then.

These threads/discussions come up from time to time and my response is always the same. I don't believe these cars will be truly "collectible" cars. I think they may hold some value for a while, but they will never be what the original Bosses were. Simple reason...we live in the Barrett Jackson/Mecum era. Everyone thinks they have the next future collectible. The reason those original Bosses and Shelby's are so expensive now is that there aren't that many left. People bought those cars, drove them hard and were not concerned about future value because car collecting wasn't part of the culture at that time. As a result if you can find a low mileage shelby or boss it is truly a rare car. Look at all these modern boss and shelby owners mothballing these cars or barely driving them. In 40 years there will be a ton of low mileage pristine bosses and shelbys available as a result. As everyone knows if the supply is high then price is low. That is what will happen with these cars. So...just drive them, have fun and don't worry about future collectibility. Maybe if guys actually drive them and wreck them like the originals, things will change!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
coboss said:
Heck, there is a zero mile 2013 Boss 302s on eBay right now for $75K. That surprises me. If there was *any* way to get that thing on the street I'd buy it and sell my 2013 Boss.

There was an S listed pretty recently for $60k. :eek:

BOSSSTANG said:
a 15 mile 12' LS went ofr $60k at Mecum two weeks ago, if that means anything!

It means that assuming the owner didn't pay over MSRP (a lot of '12 LS sold with ADM), they only lost a little money when taxes, license, insurance and storage costs are figured.

Grant 302 said:
There was an S listed pretty recently for $60k. :eek:

New? Wow. If someone wanted a track-only car, that is an incredible deal. You couldn't come close to building that car for $60K even if you started with a basic V6 Mustang.

You can register a homebuilt car in Colorado. You will occasionally see a tube frame sand rail running around. They require some kind of VIN plate be attached to it. I wonder if you could get a 302S on the street as a "home built"? Do they have cats? Apparently the only real requirement is that they pass emissions.

coboss said:
It means that assuming the owner didn't pay over MSRP (a lot of '12 LS sold with ADM), they only lost a little money when taxes, license, insurance and storage costs are figured.

I paid almost 20% below original sticker for my '13 SBY LS 300 mile car along with about $1000 worth of after market stuff. I think/hope that I just scored a killer deal from a friend. I think that most of you are right on...I'm just gonna drive it as much as I want to enjoy it. I'm not gonna abuse it (except on when on the track). If I still have it in 30 years and I'm dead and gone my kids will just sell it for whatever they can get. I really wont care at that point.

We purchased a 2012 CO Boss w/12k this past weekend after a 2 year search for $33,750 at a dealer. They were ready to cut it loose and send it to auction. Beautiful car, well loved, has some mods. There are cheaper ones out there, but you definitely get what you pay for. There is a sub $30k car 5 minutes from me, but it's rough, high mileage and an MP car. Delighted to find the one we did! And it was previously owned by another forum member :)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel