The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Sway Bars Vs. Aftermarket

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are the sway bars in the boss different than the ones in the GT and if they are, are they just as good as some of the aftermarket ones? ie. Eibach, Steeda, Whiteline. The guy building my turbo system for the Boss recommends that i upgrade them (Just the Front) for improved handling but i've read that you upgrade your sway bars not to just do one as it can throw the way the car handles off. Any light that could be shed on this would be greatly appreciated :)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
The GT rear bar is different. I wouldn't worry about the bars as much as setting up for your massive torque increase. You will have traction issues...

What are your current suspension mods?

Grant 302 said:
The GT rear bar is different. I wouldn't worry about the bars as much as setting up for your massive torque increase. You will have traction issues...

What are your current suspension mods?

I only have BMR Lower control arms, I bought a Steeda UCA, BMR Adjustable Panhard bar and Eibach Sportlines, but like I said he recommended that front sway bar.

1ChillBoss said:
Are the sway bars in the boss different than the ones in the GT and if they are, are they just as good as some of the aftermarket ones? ie. Eibach, Steeda, Whiteline. The guy building my turbo system for the Boss recommends that i upgrade them (Just the Front) for improved handling but i've read that you upgrade your sway bars not to just do one as it can throw the way the car handles off. Any light that could be shed on this would be greatly appreciated :)

Don't forget Hotchkiss as well, but I think the Ford Performance adjustable "blue" bar in front will be fine for starters.

Grant 302

1ChillBoss said:
I only have BMR Lower control arms, I bought a Steeda UCA, BMR Adjustable Panhard bar and Eibach Sportlines, but like I said he recommended that front sway bar.

For your power levels, LCA brackets and DA rear shocks would be at the top of my list...
Oh, and tires. Lots of them. ;)

How do you plan to use your car?

Grant 302 said:
For your power levels, LCA brackets and DA rear shocks would be at the top of my list...
Oh, and tires. Lots of them. ;)

How do you plan to use your car?
Just as a grocery getter lol, maybe take it to the strip when i have time. and I just ordered BMR LCA Brackets as well as CC plates. When i get the car back I plan on throwing some NT555's on there. But Sway bar wise the stock one should do me just fine?

Grant 302

1ChillBoss said:
Just as a grocery getter lol, maybe take it to the strip when i have time. and I just ordered BMR LCA Brackets as well as CC plates. When i get the car back I plan on throwing some NT555's on there. But Sway bar wise the stock one should do me just fine?

I think so.

I think of NT555s as a good commuter tire. If your car will be low mileage, I'd say NT-05 or softer would help with traction too.

1ChillBoss said:

The front bar in the Boss is the same one in the Brembo GT - 34.6x4.4mm tube with rubber bushings glued on to the bar. its made by Mubea, probably the best stabilizer bar company in the world and blows away the fatigue life of anything else especially the Eibach aftermarket stuff. Example, the after market bars are cold formed and usually not heat treated vs. the high hardness intense shot peen needed on the OEM.

Rear bar is also high quality and made by Mitsubishi STeel.. its a solid steel bar, 25mm diameter for the boss, 24mm for GT, 22mm for V6. (18,19,20mm bars for previous years also available).

Most folks soften up the rear bar as soon as they increase the spring rates and make the car square.

Ultimately it doesn't matter which sway bar is "better" you change bars to get the setup you need, it doesn't matter if it's made of spaghetti.

blacksheep-1 said:
Ultimately it doesn't matter which sway bar is "better" you change bars to get the setup you need, it doesn't matter if it's made of spaghetti.

If that were true they would all be like the aftermarket stuff. Stiffness of steel does not change w heat treat but fatigue life does. Same goes for shot peen. Agreed for a race car w small amounts of travel you are fine but for large travel trucks and OEM applications the focus is on light weight thin wall tubes with high fatigue life. That is what separates suppliers.. Ahh and corrosion matters too but I think the after market powder coats so that should pass cyclic corrosion fine.

The point is, it doesn't matter who makes the bar or what material it is, you are going to change bars until you get the car to handle the way you want it to, and if that bar flexes out, then you'll replace it with whatever works.....Sometimes the stock bar works, some times an aftermarket and sometimes it just depends on the track and sometimes we run no bar.

blacksheep-1 said:
The point is, it doesn't matter who makes the bar or what material it is, you are going to change bars until you get the car to handle the way you want it to, and if that bar flexes out, then you'll replace it with whatever works.....Sometimes the stock bar works, some times an aftermarket and sometimes it just depends on the track and sometimes we run no bar.

Agreed. have you seen some of the NASCAR bars? they rely so much on that for suspension now you'll see what looks like a 3.5" carbon fiber drive shaft going across the front of the car with two billet arms splined to the ends. they only travel about +/- 1" during a race, but they need that mega stiffness.. no bushings, just pure bearings forget that rubber stuff.

TMO Supporting Vendors