The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sway bar for Fast Road Car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

On street only cars, I'm a big bar, soft shock/spring guy and here is why. Getting to "the absolute limit" is many time double or even triple the posted curve speed limit on the street.
So do I care if I understeer/oversteer or whatever, at that limit, since I have to be driving like "maniac" on the street, to reach it?

More important to me in initial turn-in. Yes tires are number one, but razor sharp turn-in feel, is mostly sway bars, unless you make springs/shocks more stiff than you wanted
for street use. Even very slow speed with quick turn in, can feel "sporty" on the street. The best part is being able to avoid potholes you didn't see (due to car in front of you lets say) and save your rims for another day.........
Others may have a different view but imo if you want nice sharp turn, as nice a ride as possible, and don't care about understeer at the limit then an adjustable 35 mm front sway set to full stiff and no rear sway is your droid.

NJ
As other said, dropping the rear bar size makes a very noticeable difference in turn-in. I was running with an adjustable 36mm front bar with the stock GT rear bar for a while. Moving to an 18mm rear bar was a game changer. Car will now hold a much tighter line without fighting me through the corner.

TMO Supporting Vendors