The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Transmission/Clutch Issues Poll Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianfarmd

2012 #2275 Orange/White
Re: Boss Transmission Issues Poll Discussion Thread

Thank you Justin. Will let the dealer log it.

For what it is worth, had the same problem on a Brand-X where things were good until 6,500 then the clutch pedal went soft. Cured with adjustable clutch pedal link (preloaded slave). Did not figure that out until the third transmission rebuild (bitter/sweet memories).

Grrrr :mad: :mad: :mad:

Today was my first time on track in my Boss since last Fall. As I posted previously my clutch was sticking to the floor at a track day late last October. My dealer (who's been great to work with) contacted Ford or Ford Racing and they said to remove my transmission and inspect it along with my clutch. They found nothing wrong and reinstalled all the original parts. To no surprise (to me anyway) not only did my clutch stick to the floor today it did so during my first session on my second lap when it was 55 degrees outside. And it stuck to the floor on almost every high RPM shift the rest of the day. I eventually gave up and just ran the whole track in fourth gear. For my final three sessions I wound get on track and shift to fourth and not touch the clutch for 30 minutes until I pulled into the pits. Every time I came off the track and pushed the clutch in it would stick to the floor and one time it was stuck to the floor before I even touched it! Very frustrating to say the least. Of course as soon as I pulled off track it would work fine and it worked fine on my 100 mile drive home. Before the clutch would stick to the floor it would feel very soft so I knew it would stick on my next shift. Anyway back to the dealer.

Interesting how many are having trans issues. I now have 900 miles on my 2013. After the dealer rebuilt the trans the first time, they told me to give it a few hundred miles to see if it begins to shift better.

Attended my first track day at Lime Rock yesterday (April 8th) . Right from the start I had difficulties shifting under power, tried double clutching, but that only helped a little. I had to do the full course in 4th gear. After a few laps I noticed smoke coming from under the car. The input rod going into the transmission from the shifter had trans oil leaking and was dripping onto the exhaust. Paid for a full day of track time, did 4 laps. Car is now back at dealer.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!

NFSBOSS said:
Grrrr :mad: :mad: :mad:

Today was my first time on track in my Boss since last Fall. As I posted previously my clutch was sticking to the floor at a track day late last October. My dealer (who's been great to work with) contacted Ford or Ford Racing and they said to remove my transmission and inspect it along with my clutch. They found nothing wrong and reinstalled all the original parts. To no surprise (to me anyway) not only did my clutch stick to the floor today it did so during my first session on my second lap when it was 55 degrees outside. And it stuck to the floor on almost every high RPM shift the rest of the day. I eventually gave up and just ran the whole track in fourth gear. For my final three sessions I wound get on track and shift to fourth and not touch the clutch for 30 minutes until I pulled into the pits. Every time I came off the track and pushed the clutch in it would stick to the floor and one time it was stuck to the floor before I even touched it! Very frustrating to say the least. Of course as soon as I pulled off track it would work fine and it worked fine on my 100 mile drive home. Before the clutch would stick to the floor it would feel very soft so I knew it would stick on my next shift. Anyway back to the dealer.
Bite the bullet and get a good clutch. You will wish you had sooner after you do trust me

Took my Boss to the dealer last week for inability to make fourth gear @ high RPM. They couldn't replicate the issue so I had to take the service writer for a ride. His comments to his supervisor when we got back.."Yeah, we're definitely not driving it as hard as he does" lol. So I leave it there for the weekend while I'm off to Atlanta. They call me Friday and tell me after re-evaluating the problem, they were able to replicate the missed shift problem and would be replacing the syncros in 3rd and 4th gear. Great to get it fixed but I hate the thought of those clowns taking turns beating on the Boss. :-(

Justin

NFSBOSS said:
Im concerned the slave is also a weak point. Did you upgrade the slave on your car? My goal is to get Ford to fix my car under warranty not me.
No I am using the stock slave. I have a new one in the box to install if I need to

Justin said:
Bite the bullet and get a good clutch. You will wish you had sooner after you do trust me
Hi Justin,
A few questions please:
Did the clutch fix all the shifting problems?
How long have you had it?
How many track days on the new clutch?
Thanks.
-- Jim

Justin

YellowJacketBoss302 said:
Hi Justin,
A few questions please:
Did the clutch fix all the shifting problems?
How long have you had it?
How many track days on the new clutch?
Thanks.
-- Jim
it fixed the clutch sticking to the floor problem.
I have had the clutch for 5k miles now
I dont track my boss other then the drag strip

My Boss was rough and grinding going into second and third gears when cold. It is at the dealership with the transmission taken apart right now. My adviser told me that they have "a bunch of parts" on order.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !

Mines at the dealer same as yours. They are deciding weather to try and fix the transmission or replace it! Hoping for a brand new one but we will see. I had the car in for cel issue's and had asked if they would update the fluid in the transmission while it was in. When they test drove it they had trouble shifting so looks like Ford is trying to make this right. Very pleased with Ford so far. As my friend with a Boss told me, hey its a Boss and Ford is proud of them they will make it right.

What's the word on the clutch pedal sticking fix?
Has anyone had success with removal of the spring and having it remedy the issue?
Looks like the majority of owners here do track (as do I), and I'm curious to know the feedback from the group that does events/races. I do not yet own a boss, but it's on my short list and wanted to know about this before I dropped the coin on the car! Cheers!

boro92 said:
What's the word on the clutch pedal sticking fix?
Has anyone had success with removal of the spring and having it remedy the issue?
Looks like the majority of owners here do track (as do I), and I'm curious to know the feedback from the group that does events/races. I do not yet own a boss, but it's on my short list and wanted to know about this before I dropped the coin on the car! Cheers!
The word is there is no definitive fix from Ford. While removing the clutch spring can help it's a band aid fix at best. Don't let that stop you as it's a terrific car on the track. You've come to the right place for Boss track discussion and good luck with your search.

How about this! 29,000 miles. Sweet huh? :mad: It's clearly puking oil too. Dropped it off Saturday. We'll see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MtDJIQGez8&feature=youtu.be

I have also some noise at the corners on the track like a grind which might come from the transmission, even when not shifting. Not sure what it is, but just to have some indication I will change the transmission fluid with Motul 75w90 in the next couple of weeks.

So far I never had a problem at high RPMs or the pedals, just the first couple of minutes I skip the 2nd gear and I go from 1st to the 3rd directly, else the grind when shifting from 1st to 2nd does not sound really good to time. After a warmup the 2nd gear shifts without any problems.

I have a MGW shifter (happy with it), a carbon one piece driveshaft and about 7000 miles on my Boss with various drift trainings and track days here and there.

What you have Superlead76 sounds really serious. Did that happens from one moment to another or have there been indications and the issue developed over time?

FWIW, I've been going wild researching this issue.
I stumbled across another thread on an alternate forum (which I will reference below) which highlights the issue a little more. Turns out, a gentleman with a 2012 boss had some clutch problems. He returned it to the dealer and it was repaired under warranty. They key findings were:

1) His car came with a non-Boss specific clutch. Infact, the part number was identical to the GT (PN: CR3Z-7B546-C). The entire plate/assembly is from the 2012 GT.
2) Like others here, the cause of the issues were weak return springs
3) The technician was infact able to order Boss specific parts (!!!) based on the car's VIN. The said owner now has a boss specific clutch assembly in there!

So far, he reports no troubles since the warranty work. I wonder if this issue primarily affects 2012 cars, or if it also affects 2013? My suspicion is that 2012 was equipped with GT clutch parts, and 2013 had revised, Boss specific parts....but I have no basis for this suspicion.

The thread I'm referencing for those interested could be found here: http://www.boss302forum.com/topic/15124-clutch-assembly-replacement-4000-miles/

What's funny is that I swear I read somewhere in one of the earlier magazine articles about the Boss...that the Boss did come with a unique clutch

TMO Supporting Vendors