The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Transmission/Clutch Issues Poll Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Boss Transmission Issues Poll Discussion Thread

Darth Boss said:
I keep saying, next car will be an Audi but I keep buying Mustangs.

Hahahahahaha, I see them all the time in my shop. You think you have issues with your Mustang, buy stock in an anti depressant manufacturer if you buy an Audi.

While autocrossing I had some 2-3 lockouts when I was actually on a straightaway, so I tried the Steeda engine mounts. It did not seem to help, but maybe it would if you have lockouts when turning. I need to get an MGW or a bracket. Oddly, I did not have any lockouts when I did HPDE, but I was not able to go terribly fast either since I didn't trust the stock tires in the cold and most on the track were slow first timers who wouldn't pay attention and wave you by. I think most were from MA, so that explains it!

I have had my Boss for only a month now and have noticed the shifts to be very clunky too. I’m pretty much experiencing all the same problems especially going from 2-3. I didn’t know if this was just typical or if there was a problem with the transmission. I guess I need to go ahead and have them log this in the service department and have them change the fluid to start. It's nice to know that I'm not alone. Any suggestions on which shifter to go with.

302Boss Hog said:
I have had my Boss for only a month now and have noticed the shifts to be very clunky too. I’m pretty much experiencing all the same problems especially going from 2-3. I didn’t know if this was just typical or if there was a problem with the transmission. I guess I need to go ahead and have them log this in the service department and have them change the fluid to start. It's nice to know that I'm not alone. Any suggestions on which shifter to go with.
Yep we need more owners document shifting/clutch problems.

So far. Had issues at the track with clutch not always coming back up and hard to shift from 4th-5th. Also, had it where the trans started to grind going from 5th to 6th gear. Took it to the dealership and they rebuilt the trans.

Felt fine on the street. Went to the track today had same clutch issues and by the end of the day, not able to get the car in 5th gear without effort and awful grinding. Back to the dealership I go.

CoolTechLLC said:
To all of you experiencing notchy shifting, I would strongly encourage you to drain your OEM fluid and switch to Ford's upgraded fluid that is now spec'd for our transmissions - which is significantly different than the fluid you have.

Many of you know that we have been upgrading/maintaining 3 2012 LS's which are tracked quite a bit. One of the cars - the one with the most track miles developed a lot of notchiness in the transmission. First gear at a standstill was sometimes hard to engage and there was an occasional slight crunch in 1-2 shifts. We drained the original fluid and re-filled with the new fluid and there has been a SIGNIFICANT improvement. As preventative maintenance, we are likely going to do the same upgrade to the other LS's. Inexpensive (relatively) insurance.

The new fluid is: Motorcraft Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid Part Number:XT-11-QDC

Excellent advice. Thanks

Mine is at the dealer now for a 4th gear synchro gone. Started grinding going into 4th last weekend. The dealer checked it out and they are fixing it under warranty. I was a little nervous with this since I have a MGW shifter.

Oh, I have a little over 2000 miles on it.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!

flyby763 said:
My clutch pedal got stuck about halfway down during my first day autocrossing it. Only had it for about two weeks.
thats how mine started.....after some time it turned into getting stuck half way all the time then stuck to the floor everytime it got so bad I stopped driving the car hard and would shift at 5 to keep it from doing that. the fix for me after trying everything else it was replacing the clutch with a centerforce DYAD.

Re: Re: Boss Transmission Issues Poll Discussion Thread

Justin said:
thats how mine started.....after some time it turned into getting stuck half way all the time then stuck to the floor everytime it got so bad I stopped driving the car hard and would shift at 5 to keep it from doing that. the fix for me after trying everything else it was replacing the clutch with a centerforce DYAD.

Great. Something to look forward to...

I am new to teh forum. I purchased a 2013 boss Grabber blue in Nov. Test drive it with only 2 miles an noticed it was difficult getting the car into 2nd gear. Dealer had to replace 2nd gear.
Now have 500 miles on it and still have difficulty shifting, even more noticable under power. I have read that some have replaced the mount or changed the shifter entirely. Has anyone else experienced this and found and alternative.

Justin

bgou812 said:
I am new to teh forum. I purchased a 2013 boss Grabber blue in Nov. Test drive it with only 2 miles an noticed it was difficult getting the car into 2nd gear. Dealer had to replace 2nd gear.
Now have 500 miles on it and still have difficulty shifting, even more noticable under power. I have read that some have replaced the mount or changed the shifter entirely. Has anyone else experienced this and found and alternative.
Switching to Redline MTL and MGW shifter cured my shifting woes for me.

Justin said:
Switching to Redline MTL and MGW shifter cured my shifting woes for me.

I haven't had any issues really except when i try to downshift from 3 to 2. Otherwise i haven't had any issues and these are the two things i had done to the car in regards to the trans.

Just started having issues with high RPM shifts to 4th gear. I had changed to a pistol grip shifter handle and thought that was the problem. Changed back to the OEM shifter ball and am still having issues. I even tried lifting completely out of the throttle when shifting instead of "power shifting" but that didn't help either. An I dealer bound? Hate the thought of some hack @ the dealer beating on my Boss. :(

Justin, the car just won't go into 4th gear. It sounds like your just on the edge of the gears and they're no fully engaged. I initially thought I wasn't pulling the shifter back far enough to fully engage the gear hence the change back to the stock knob. It just grinds like crazy like I've never driven a stick before. No issues under normal driving conditions. Only high RPM situations. It's happened consistently the last 4 times under "spirited" driving situations. I'm sure I'm not the best stick driver out there but I think I'm pretty good.

brianfarmd

2012 #2275 Orange/White

Current mileage: ~3,700.
I have noticed some of the issues mentioned. The thing that bothers me the most, I have learned to deal with: soft pedal especially the 4-5 shift. To get around this, on the warm up lap, I pump the clutch pedal during shifts. By hot lap time, pedal feel is there enough to have at it... so far anyway.

For spirited sprints off the track, I just pump a few times while the engine and transmission fluid warms.

BTW, where is the poll? The link loops me back to home page. Maybe gone by now.

Justin

Stock shifter? Mine did this from time to time when I had the stock shifter replacing it with a MGW and swapping the fluid to redline MTL cured that problem.

I would get it on record at the dealer of it doing that incase it is a synchro issue though.

Justin

[author=brianfarmd link=topic=2934.msg71596#msg71596 date=1364566474]
Current mileage: ~3,700.
I have noticed some of the issues mentioned. The thing that bothers me the most, I have learned to deal with: soft pedal especially the 4-5 shift. To get around this, on the warm up lap, I pump the clutch pedal during shifts. By hot lap time, pedal feel is there enough to have at it... so far anyway.

For spirited sprints off the track, I just pump a few times while the engine and transmission fluid warms.

BTW, where is the poll? The link loops me back to home page. Maybe gone by now.
[/quote] that's how my clutch woes started. The centerforce clutch ended up being my cure

TMO Supporting Vendors