The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Transmission/Clutch Issues Poll Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Boss Transmission Issues Poll Discussion Thread

I've also been saying the fingers are the problem and McLeod brought that up immediately the first time I called them. Hopefully I'll confirm Justin's experience on May 10 TH.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!

what I like about the centerforce is the addressed the fingers with ball bearings that the fingers ride on. makes it really smooth. I can feel the assist spring transition very well now. I need to get the GT500 pedal assembly in it to make it super smooth. and it looks like the GT500 has a bigger piston in the hydraulics as well

My Boss is still at the dealer with the transmission in pieces. I spoke to the service adviser today and he mentioned re-ordering a part with ball bearings that were sticking at a certain point where they should move freely. I don't know which specific part it was.

Consumer Reports knows:

Their article states the relability of the V-8 is below average and when you get into the weeds of it:

CRMustang_Page_1_zps46ed279c.png
Pagesfromcoupe-gt-premiu_zps1a5ef00a.png

Guys,

At this point do you think the high RPM lockout and pedal sticking are closely related, as in both the result of the clutch?

I bought a Boss last Sat and it suffers from lockout. I have no problem buying a sweet new (some would say "fat") clutch for the car, but I'd like a relatively high level of confidence that it'll fix it. Otherwise I might sell the car and roll the dice on another one.

The car does have an almost brand spankin' new MT82 with a Steeda shifter on it. It shifts incredibly well at lower RPM's, only at high RPM's is the lockout present.

After driving a car with a perfect clutch for 26k miles, I have no intention of living with a bad one.

Andy

Fat Boss said:
Guys,

At this point do you think the high RPM lockout and pedal sticking are closely related, as in both the result of the clutch?

I bought a Boss last Sat and it suffers from lockout. I have no problem buying a sweet new (some would say "fat") clutch for the car, but I'd like a relatively high level of confidence that it'll fix it. Otherwise I might sell the car and roll the dice on another one.

The car does have an almost brand spankin' new MT82 with a Steeda shifter on it. It shifts incredibly well at lower RPM's, only at high RPM's is the lockout present.

After driving a car with a perfect clutch for 26k miles, I have no intention of living with a bad one.

Andy
I'll have a better idea on May 10th. After a delay I should have mine back tomorrow with the RXT clutch in it. Stay tuned.

NFSBOSS said:
I'll have a better idea on May 10th. After a delay I should have mine back tomorrow with the RXT clutch in it. Stay tuned.

I think you'll know before you get to the track. I think you'll know immediately.

Justin

Fat Boss said:
Guys,

Andy
when mine stuck to the floor it wouldnt let me in the next gear. since centerforce DYAD install and break in has not happened to me again in the slightest even shifting at 8200rpm.

no need to sell the car just get a better clutch.

Thanks Justin! What part number did you get? I'm sure I don't need a clutch that holds 1000 HP. I would think the lower capacity clutches might, just might weigh a little less.

Justin

Fat Boss said:
Thanks Justin! What part number did you get? I'm sure I don't need a clutch that holds 1000 HP. I would think the lower capacity clutches might, just might weigh a little less.
I rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. The pedal is very smooth and lighter. It will be lighter then any single disc out there. My clutch is rated at over 1300 ftlbs of trq it comes with a birth sheet. Comes with everything you need except an alightment tool. comes with arp hardward new flywheel everything.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctf-04234805/overview/year/2012/make/ford/model/mustang

Took mine a soild 1000 miles to break in and become smooth. At first install it grabbed really hard almost made me take it out and send it back. But once it broke in I really love it.

Thanks Justin. That looks like a nice unit. I just don't see myself ever going that high in HP. Even S/C'd it would likely be in the 700 HP range. But with the rebate going on it looks like it's competitive with the McLeod price wise.

427mustang

68fb42769scj88drag car2012BossYB838 LS 760 SILVER

Dropped off YB838 12 10 days a go. picked up to day, new trans,clutch,tob. Original trans was destroyed in side,clutch wasn't much better. Ford replaced everything under warrenty. My dealer also put in my MGW shifter for free. I left happy but reminded them i wasn't going to baby her any more.Ime happy with shifter,and no more noise from trans. We will see how things go!!! Gary

Good to hear Gary!

Justin- Where is the engagement / disengagement point on yours? Is it high up or down low? Does it grab over a large amount of the throw or a small amount, in other words how much pedal travel is involved from engaged to disengaged. Some clutches like my stock one engaged over say 50% of the travel, whereas my truck engages high up over maybe 20% of the travel.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Re: Re: Boss Transmission Issues Poll Discussion Thread

427mustang said:
Dropped off YB838 12 10 days a go. picked up to day, new trans,clutch,tob. Original trans was destroyed in side,clutch wasn't much better. Ford replaced everything under warrenty. My dealer also put in my MGW shifter for free. I left happy but reminded them i wasn't going to baby her any more.Ime happy with shifter,and no more noise from trans. We will see how things go!!! Gary
That's awesome, it shows that alot of it depends on how your dealer is going to treat ya.

zzyzx said:
Rick? Any feedback for us yet? :)
I picked it up yesterday after work and so far so good. The clutch is lighter than stock and releases and grabs very high up in the movement. It's a bit grabby too but I expect that to wane as I get more miles on it. I haven't driven it much yet and may not get to put many miles on it before I hit Thunderhill next Friday. The installation was straight forward but the shop had some minor issues with parts so that caused a delay. I really won't have much to add until after next Friday.

Was out driving tonight with 100% stock 2013 Boss 302, making some pulls. Go to go into 5th, loud grind and thats all she wrote. Havent had any issues at all up untill now. Car is 100% stock down to paper air filter. How an i looking for then replacing stuff under warranty?

Bloodykisses said:
Was out driving tonight with 100% stock 2013 Boss 302, making some pulls. Go to go into 5th, loud grind and thats all she wrote. Havent had any issues at all up untill now. Car is 100% stock down to paper air filter. How an i looking for then replacing stuff under warranty?
You'll be fine. Ford knows there are issues...

Im so paranoid ill be screwed. Noticed hard clutch pedal and some light grinding into 5th 2/3 times on cold mornings. It will go into all but 5th. This sucks. Ill be terrified to ever drive the car hard again.

TMO Supporting Vendors