The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Breaking rear studs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
Is anyone else having issues with breaking rear wheel studs? I currently have one each side broken down to the the hub; not the first ones either. Haven't changed wheels in a while but noticed these studs broken. Replacing rear hubs is a pain in the butt and not to mention expensive to have a shop do them.

Is anyone else having issues with breaking rear wheel studs? I currently have one each side broken down to the the hub; not the first ones either. Haven't changed wheels in a while but noticed these studs broken. Replacing rear hubs is a pain in the butt and not to mention expensive to have a shop do them.
Fairly normal, OE studs have experienced a fairly high failure rate (or more correctly, heat cycle out faster) I have hundreds of OE take out studs if you need some but they are designed for normal people, not track use.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
OP Mustang Tim is spot on and he beat me to the punch as I was going to suggest you contact him. One of the key purchases for those who track their cars ( regardless of make ) is to get some race type wheel studs. ARP is well known but Tim has some he sells that are made specifically for Mustangs. I broke ones on my Boss 302s in years past until I did this and also make sure you get them longer than standard so you can put spacers and larger wheels on the beast in coming years. Amazingly folks find that putting wheels on with the longer studs is also easier to align and mount -- small bonus , but a big one for us ancient race types, ha!

The good thing about ARP studs is that you can get them longer, and you can fearlessly stack spacers on them with wreckless abandon. Just make sure you use nuts that are bored through so they will go all the way on

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I prefer long lug nuts with lots of threads, some of the short lug nuts don't have a lot of threads in them. Don't run the lug nuts off and on with the 1/2 impact gun. Less likely to gall the threads and no lube.

TMO Supporting Vendors