Bridgestone Potenza S007A

Discussion in 'Brakes, Wheels and Tires' started by SavetheManuals, Nov 16, 2018.

1. SavetheManuals

SavetheManuals TMO Intermediate

Wanted to share my initial impression of the S007A, 275/40R18 square on 18x10s.
    They will be my track tires but I am breaking them in and getting used to them in the canyons first.
    Coming from NT01s, which were great but wore out too fast for my budget.

So far just one hard drive in the canyons to report on:
    Steering response and yaw gain are amazing, to the point that I had to slow down my steering inputs.
    Lateral grip is very good even though the compound is hard enough to make me confident about the treadwear and durability of the tire for the track.
    The sidewalls feel very stiff, almost too stiff on the canyon roads, but might be perfect for the track.
    Longitudinal grip did not blow me away at first but is improving as the tires break in (they were brand new at the start of the drive) so it should be just fine.
    Going for a harder drive tomorrow and hopefully a track day in the next few weeks so I can find out what they're really made of, and if they'll cut it for the track. So far I'm hopeful they will be consistent, durable, and grippy enough.
    They won't set any course records but for someone who is on a budget, still learning, or just out to have fun, they might be the perfect compromise.

AustinGT350, Wotfun and VoodooBoss like this.
  2. Champale

Champale TMO Race

I have about 1000 street miles on S0007As on my Lotus Evora 400. They have been superb in every condition I've used them - hot days, rainy days, even cool weather (into the 30s). They are very progressive when they do break away. Amazingly quiet on the freeway and very refined feeling over bumps, unlike the much harsher OE PSS tires. I look forward to putting them on my Boss eventually (which also has PSS tires for now).

SavetheManuals and VoodooBoss like this.
  3. 03dakrt

03dakrt TMO Intermediate

Ant additional thoughts? I have re11 today and am considering these as replacement. I am a fan of re11

VoodooBoss likes this.
  4. SavetheManuals

@03dakrt still no track time but a few more long canyon runs and they have been great.
    These are a perfect replacement for RE11s. Not a huge improvement in performance but they are cheaper and should last longer.

Wotfun likes this.
  5. Champale

Champale TMO Race

I am also noticing that they show almost no wear after some pretty hard driving (although my car is quite a bit lighter than a Mustang). The Yokohama AD08Rs I have on my Focus RS show some good feathering doing the same sort of back road driving.

Wotfun and SavetheManuals like this.
  6. 03dakrt

03dakrt TMO Intermediate

Thanks guys price is really good and good to hear they are a good option for re11

SavetheManuals likes this.
  7. SavetheManuals

Finally got on the track with these tires and they did very well.
    Not the fastest tires out there but fast enough, and more importantly I was able to drive all out for the whole 20 minute session without the tires overheating or getting greasy, which is exactly what I wanted from them.
    They also seem to handle the physical abuse fairly well too, they aren't wearing too fast or chunking out.
    Manged to lay down a 2:03.9 at Buttonwillow 13CW my first time running that direction and beat out some competitors on 200TW tires, so they do have reasonable levels of grip.
    I was also able to drive home at normal speeds in the rain with perfect confidence while everyone else on R comps was dreading the drive in the rain, so that's a plus too.

8. AustinGT350

AustinGT350 TMO Intermediate

Liking the price on these guys.

9. Champale

Champale TMO Race

Great report, SavetheManuals! Glad to hear they did so well!