The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

building a splitter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok on project mustang it was "create a splitter time" while in the real world this would aid high speed handling in my world this is to protect the body work from cones..not that I have ever hit one of course, it was after all their fault for being in the racing line, but none the less.......

First off, generally measured the front of the car and cut some 3/8 plywood to that dimension, then dummied it up, under the car....

DSC_4204.jpg

Made dot-marks 3.5 inches from the front air dam...

DSC_4205.jpg

and connected the dots...

DSC_4206.jpg

I also did the same under the car, in retrospect, I should have made several small access holes instead of one big one..but maybe next time..

DSC_4203.jpg

acquired some fasteners from the local hardware store, the "Captured nuts" are the most important since access is not easy in some places

DSC_4209_zpsb63a780f.jpg

Painted the splitter with truck bed liner since this was the most bulletproof and weather proof stuff I could think of at the time..

DSC_4208_zps2d9502f5.jpg

Installed it under the car using existing holes in the radiator support and then carefully... drilling the air dam lip to accommodate the "captured nuts"

DSC_4211_zpsc27a2f6a.jpg

DSC_4212_zps15dfb957.jpg

total investment in the low tech splitter, about 70 bucks, plywood, bed liner and hardware.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Blacksheep-1

Nice job, and looks as good under the car as from the top. Nice garage lift too.

Dave
2HP

ArizonaBOSS said:
Is the Fox a "bottom breather"? Air dam required for that opening?

No because the radiator is a mishimoto aluminum 4 core with an electric fan ..but I did need to open a hole in the dam.

TMO Supporting Vendors