The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

bumper BUGS !! hellp !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have no product and a a lot of bugs on the bumper - everythings closed and i want to get these suckers off now !! (enter mania)

I read on the net that people use dryer sheets WD40 Diesel Windex Pam I have a metric ton of product but no bug remover !

Suggestions so i have a good night sleep without alcohol :)

Tks-

I have very good luck on my Harley doing this: taking one or two towels and wetting them thoroughly with warm water. Then drape them over the "bugged" areas for a few hours. Most bugs come right off after that with a detail spray.

SouthJerseyBoss said:
I have very good luck on my Harley doing this: taking one or two towels and wetting them thoroughly with warm water. Then drape them over the "bugged" areas for a few hours. Most bugs come right off after that with a detail spray.
This works very well. Use WD40 for road tar.

5 DOT 0 said:
SouthJerseyBoss said:
This works very well. Use WD40 for road tar.

Worked perfectly - thanks guys !!! I also did one half with a warm water spray bottle- get it nice and wet and a dryer sheet - bugs came right off (with a extra light touch even)- spray again, towel then detal spray

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I take bugs off with detail spray they come right off if you have a decent wax on your car. If you cant get something off with WD-40 ie road tar I use denatured alcohol and a heat gun and a micro fiber towel. wipes right off.

did the dryer sheet scratch up the paint? I would think that it would

drano38

Wayne
I use PoorBoy's Bug Squash diluted per directions.
Spray it on, let it set, spray on soap with foaming gun, hit it with a nozzle to get the easy bug chunks, and re-foam with foam gun.
Wash rest of car, then wipe off the front with a microfiber towel and suddzy water from the wash bucket.
By then, anything remaining wipes off pretty easy.
http://www.poorboysworld.com/bug-squash.htm

foam gun (workes best with foam gun specific soap, I use Detailer's Pro Series Xtreme Foam Formula Auto Shampoo from Autogeek)
http://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-95QGFMR-Foamaster-Cleaning-Sprayer/dp/B000Y190WE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334592256&sr=8-2

Justin

drano38 said:
I use PoorBoy's Bug Squash diluted per directions.
Spray it on, let it set, spray on soap with foaming gun, hit it with a nozzle to get the easy bug chunks, and re-foam with foam gun.
Wash rest of car, then wipe off the front with a microfiber towel and suddzy water from the wash bucket.
By then, anything remaining wipes off pretty easy.
http://www.poorboysworld.com/bug-squash.htm

foam gun (workes best with foam gun specific soap, I use Detailer's Pro Series Xtreme Foam Formula Auto Shampoo from Autogeek)
http://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-95QGFMR-Foamaster-Cleaning-Sprayer/dp/B000Y190WE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334592256&sr=8-2
Sounds like its going to strip the wax?

drano38

Wayne
Justin,
Good point. I only use it on the front bumper, and wash with soft warm water, so water still flows off well.
I used Menzerna Power Lock sealant, so its more durable than wax, but I imagine strong cleaners take it off too.
Sometimes I followup with detail spray for some added protection.
Next time I'll try removing bugs with detail spray and a good microfiber.

Justin

drano38 said:
Justin,
Good point. I only use it on the front bumper, and wash with soft warm water, so water still flows off well.
I used Menzerna Power Lock sealant, so its more durable than wax, but I imagine strong cleaners take it off too.
Sometimes I followup with detail spray for some added protection.
Next time I'll try removing bugs with detail spray and a good microfiber.
yeah I am just curious. water beading isnt a good indicator of the wax being there or not. I would hate to have some one put on 15layers of wax or sealant only to have to do it over again cause of bug remover

boss2511 said:
I take bugs off with detail spray they come right off if you have a decent wax on your car. If you cant get something off with WD-40 ie road tar I use denatured alcohol and a heat gun and a micro fiber towel. wipes right off.

did the dryer sheet scratch up the paint? I would think that it would

No not at all and I thought the same - I was gentle and did a little at a time - not gonna be my goto solution but in a pinch did the trick - who woulda thunk - Heres a pic !
IMG_0100.png

IMG_0103.png

TMO Supporting Vendors