Calimer

Discussion in 'Drivetrain, Exhaust and Electrical' started by gww52, Apr 13, 2019.

1. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

As a guy who broke his MT-82 three times, twice after a clutch upgrade, I don’t think it’s durable enough. Regardless you’re probably not reading this or planning on making upgrades because yours hasn’t broke. I do think a lot of issues are due to the crappy stock clutch. My recommendation is to upgrade the clutch immediately and not wait for issues to arise.

Mad Hatter and ArizonaBOSS like this.
  2. Daegoba

Daegoba TMO Intermediate

Don’t worry, Voodoo, I’m reading!

I’ve considered a clutch upgrade and shifter change before issues arise, actually. Seems the best “fix” for these seems to be preventive modifications. This is why I lurk here quite often; to learn from those that have more experience than I.

3. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

For my purpose, the stock 3.73 works for me...:D

4. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

VoodooBoss will take his cars to the limit..................

5. BigTaco

BigTaco TMO Addict

I have to ask; why would you not return a transmission to customer that did not look like new. Sorry guys, that’s jus “BS” in my book. It’s a sign of a poorly run shop and indefensible.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  6. JDee

JDee Ancient Racer

Have to agree with this. I grew up hanging around and working in a race shop and they lived by the old saying "cleanliness is next to godliness", meant in a mechanical way. Nothing they touched was dirty after they touched it and the first thing a car got after it came back from the track was a thorough inspection followed by an equally thorough clean up, top and bottom.

7. gww52

gww52 TMO Advanced

Believe me they were dirty and did not look good at all.I was shocked at the look of the first but the second still was not close to looking new.They paint right over the dirt and grease.

8. Bill Pemberton

Bill Pemberton TMO Addict

Agree with Madhatter it is weird that 5th appears to be the weak link? That was the gear that went in my 2012. I do think, from Dealership experience, the early M-80s were just that --- explosive. Currently we have not seen many of the newer model Mustangs in the Dealership with tranny issues.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019 at 1:23 PM
  9. ArizonaBOSS

ArizonaBOSS Because racecar. Moderator

Wow. Pretty sad stuff in here from multiple sources. This was going to be my plan before I ended up biting the bullet and going to the Magnum.

10. gww52

gww52 TMO Advanced

I just got back from the Mustang 55th and everyone I showed the damaged input shaft video to said the same thing, this is damaged beyond being usable!