The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Captdistraction's ST2/GTR build thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I'm excited to see this on the track again....!

You might consider upgrading the Manum XL transmission mount. It is a $4.95 transmission mount for a 1991 Ford Explorer. I am replacing mine this weekend because all of the rubber has completely disintegrated.

Energy Suspension sells a much higher quality poly mount. I can send you the part number if you like.

I also forgot to mention you might consider replacing the plastic overflow tube with high temp AN-6 line run up to the firewall. Hot trans fluid melted the tube on my trans this weekend sending fluid everywhere. It looked like the motor blew when it let go.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Oh wow. Steve can you post that PN in here for searchable results later? Probably going Magnum later this year
You can borrow one of mine:
MAGNUM_XL_12ct_front.ashx

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sal, didn't we do this joke on Facebook? You Hockey puck:)

Where...I don't see it?
Y'all must of had that party without me.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
For the mount it seems to be 4-1148G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That is the correct Energy Suspension part number for the transmission mount. I installed one in my car yesterday. It bolts right in an is a much sturdier piece. The biggest improvement is that the metal components of the mount are encased in a large solid block of polyurethane as opposed to the two small strips of rubber on the mount provided in the Magnum kit.

The mount is available through a variety of online retailers. I got mine from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005AT05JM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will post a picture of a failed transmission mount later.

Last edited:

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I also forgot to mention you might consider replacing the plastic overflow tube with high temp AN-6 line run up to the firewall. Hot trans fluid melted the tube on my trans this weekend sending fluid everywhere. It looked like the motor blew when it let go.

I hadn't looked closely at the trans, what type of hose did you ultimately use? I'm thinking of using a breather mounted next to the engine breather can and running line down to the trans, but I hadn't reviewed what the outlet looks like.

I hadn't looked closely at the trans, what type of hose did you ultimately use? I'm thinking of using a breather mounted next to the engine breather can and running line down to the trans, but I hadn't reviewed what the outlet looks like.

I used AN-6 line connected to the steel elbow on the top passenger side of the transmission and secured it to the transmission overflow using a worm drive clamp. I ran the line up to the firewall and attached it to a small catch can / breather next to my engine breather just like you describe.

The small catch can on the left is for my transmission:

IMG_0389.JPG

There is enough room to mount the catch can without relocating the battery if you don't have a cooler pump in the way like I do.

The overflow elbow on the side of the Magnum XL is circled in red:

00f9d683c8f8c80536fbfe1e63144302.jpg

Last edited:

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
well, made some progress. The BBS wheels and Enkei's won't work for me (see them on the for sale section shortly), however the APEX wheels fit great (test fit a 18x10, so very hopeful the 18x11's work)

The brake system is massive, and while its not fully assembled, I can already tell its going to be a huge (yuuuuge) improvement over the S197 4 pot system.

The final bit is some sour news, the trans kit mostly went together ok, but I can't get the transmission all the way seated. I had to order some hydraulic parts, so once those arrive I can continue (actuate the clutch a bit to try to get the disc lined up perfectly if that's the holdup. One of the largest issues is the clutch alignment tools available don't perfectly fit the pilot bearing, coupled with some very tight tolerances on the transmission dowels and you have a fun time trying to get this thing set.

Once its together, testing will be determined by when I can get some workable wheels on the car to get out on track, and will collect some data points on the new brakes and transmission (as gear ratios, all gear ratios, have been heavily discussed for their benefits/drawbacks).

TMO Supporting Vendors