The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Captdistraction's ST2/GTR build thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
This I can definitely relate to as we discussed on FB. I'm at the point where why go through all the trouble and costs of prepping the car, borrowing a trailer, getting said trailer, loading it, unloading at the track, buying fuel, paying fees, etc just to break in the first session and spend the rest of the day wrenching and then packing it up and reversing the process. It almost makes more sense just to spectate, which costs nothing, and have the same amount of fun hanging out with everyone.

That's at least how I'll do the next event or so, maybe crew for one of the other guys. I barely had enough scratch to make it to the event as is, so unfortunately the cost of repairs is just going to set me back further financially. Our NASA ST schedule has AMP in April which is a no go for me (sound restriction means I'd have to work on the exhaust AND still rush to prep the car and wallet), and then in May is the last race before the break at Autoclub Speedway in Socal; which even if I repair in time I don't think I want to haul out to LA at the end of May. That would be a lot of effort driving in the heat, costs, and risk of the next thing blowing up in my face. So the next event would be October for the West Nationals which I won't qualify to participate in as I only have two provisional stamps. So we'll see about November for the next scheduled race.

I know its a downer but so far I've registered and appeared for 6 race events and finished 2. Meaning that out of this small sample set I'm able to run just 33% of the time without a catastrophic event. I'm truly hoping the luck is something I can change with preparation.

Everyone says to spend $6k on this trans, $9k on this trailer, etc, etc. However for me that's not within reach given my household income and desires for reasonable debt management without a long investment of time. So I'm hoping to meet in the middle of those mindsets somewhat and use this time to get spending under control, pay down some debt, get a permanent trailer (the person who loans me a trailer is such a great friend in that regard and would loan it to me every single event, but I can't keep asking him), and use the time to go over the car with a fine tooth comb and try to limit my exposure to risk.

I'm going to start that process today by parting a lot of the car out to make room for changes: Tires, wheels, brakes, some suspension, all my spares, surviving drive train parts, etc. to make room to change to exactly what the other racers are doing with their competitive cars. It means being on the sidelines, but I'm used to that and if I get to the point where I decide this isn't for me, at least the car will be prepped in such a manner that it would be a confident asset to put in someone else's hands. Certainly appreciate all the support, I'd have given up ages ago otherwise.

I had hoped to eliminate any doubt about how competitive I can be in this car, but so far I've done the opposite. Hopefully can regroup through the rest of 2017 and hit it hard in 2018.

edit: grammar corrections. Frustration adds lots of unnecessary commas.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
This I can definitely relate to as we discussed on FB. I'm at the point where why go through all the trouble and costs of prepping the car, borrowing a trailer, getting said trailer, loading it, unloading at the track, buying fuel, paying fees, etc just to break in the first session and spend the rest of the day wrenching and then packing it up and reversing the process. It almost makes more sense just to spectate, which costs nothing, and have the same amount of fun hanging out with everyone.

That's at least how I'll do the next event or so, maybe crew for one of the other guys. I barely had enough scratch to make it to the event as is, so unfortunately the cost of repairs is just going to set me back further financially. Our NASA ST schedule has AMP in April which is a no go for me (sound restriction means I'd have to work on the exhaust AND still rush to prep the car and wallet), and then in May is the last race before the break at Autoclub Speedway in Socal; which even if I repair in time I don't think I want to haul out to LA at the end of May. That would be a lot of effort driving in the heat, costs, and risk of the next thing blowing up in my face. So the next event would be October for the West Nationals which I won't qualify to participate in as I only have two provisional stamps. So we'll see about November for the next scheduled race.

I know its a downer but so far I've registered and appeared for 6 race events and finished 2. Meaning that out of this small sample set I'm able to run just 33% of the time without a catastrophic event. I'm truly hoping the luck is something I can change with preparation.

Everyone says to spend $6k on this trans, $9k on this trailer, etc, etc. However for me that's not within reach given my household income and desires for reasonable debt management without a long investment of time. So I'm hoping to meet in the middle of those mindsets somewhat and use this time to get spending under control, pay down some debt, get a permanent trailer (the person who loans me a trailer is such a great friend in that regard and would loan it to me every single event, but I can't keep asking him), and use the time to go over the car with a fine tooth comb and try to limit my exposure to risk.

I'm going to start that process today by parting a lot of the car out to make room for changes: Tires, wheels, brakes, some suspension, all my spares, surviving drive train parts, etc. to make room to change to exactly what the other racers are doing with their competitive cars. It means being on the sidelines, but I'm used to that and if I get to the point where I decide this isn't for me, at least the car will be prepped in such a manner that it would be a confident asset to put in someone else's hands. Certainly appreciate all the support, I'd have given up ages ago otherwise.

I had hoped to eliminate any doubt about how competitive I can be in this car, but so far I've done the opposite. Hopefully can regroup through the rest of 2017 and hit it hard in 2018.

edit: grammar corrections. Frustration adds lots of unnecessary commas.

I feel ya. Last year was a tough season for me too. Fortunately my motor survived but other gremlins took me out first or second session at every event. Sometimes it's good to let the pressure off and come back to it later. My most sincere condolences.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beers on me for everyone, soon.
I fixed that for you.

Chris, your strategy of taking a break sounds like a good one. Don't give up as we all want to see you bring home more trophies.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
So here's what the moving forward plan looks like:

I'm selling the transmission and most everything off the car that's not the engine/suspension. Once that's done going through the tire kicker gauntlet, the money raised will go to a transmission (which is 99% likely a T56xlM close ratio) and exedy hyper single. I'll start with the 3.73 gear, but may move to 4.10 or 4.30 in the rear axle pending what I find about track suitability/cooling and what the gearing then looks like.

The body is getting a few things, mostly reinforcement around the driver's feet if I don't go with the XL for some reason (as it has a steel bell). The rear axle will be serviced and painted (it has a fresh setup in it, but might as well put new seals/bearings in if I am swapping gears) and a steeda spherical bearing.

The brakes are going to the 2015 Performance Pack GT brakes with a floating rotor / Gloc pads. I'm looking at the girodisc options, which are spendy, but no more so than the race stuff for the brembo kits. the downsides of this setup I have to imagine are the big heavy caliper without a radial mount, wheel clearance, etc. The floater should help with pad knockback. I'm not sure of overall pad depth, but I believe it to be similar to 4-pot brembo pads and pricing is similar despite it having over twice the volume of friction material mated to each pad.

Finally wheels: I don't currently own any wheels. I'm involved in the apex group buy and will hunt another set to get me going. I'm moving from the 10" wide SVE to 10.5/11" to keep up with the class front runners.

Making some other minor changes (reducing the number of poly bushings, probably pick up a spare set of front hubs with studs and a fresh round of lugnuts), and then continuing development on the parts within the car and the telemetry systems.

I hate this stuff, I'm not terribly excited about the money spend (why go racing when you can spend 6k to pretend to go racing), but I'm hoping the end result is more bulletproof.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Wishing you the best in this new endeavor.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
The good news that I see here is now you have a plan. I like the trans/clutch selections.

Wishing you all the best in executing your new plan.
302 Hi Pro

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Good plan Chris, the PP brakes are very well suited to track use and consumption is much better than the 4 piston Boss brakes. With the Giro discs you will be standing it on the nose. Trans option is a solid if spendy choice. If we were closer you would already have one of my spare MT-82s in there gratis. Shipping one to AZ is a killer though.
Steve

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Out of curiosity... Whats the weight difference between the Magnum and the MT82? I found I could manage to put the MT82 in the trunk of my boss with out breaking my back.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Clutch (spare) gets in Friday and hopefully figure out some wheels so I can set it on the ground and move it around. Be a few weeks for brakes and the transmission and associated parts but hopefully all goes well.

The one thing that this conversion may not have are the electrical portions for the different plugs and speedo output on the tremec. Does anyone know if those parts are available on their own?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My magnum came with electrical pigtails. You have to cut off the factory connectors for the speedo and I think one other electrical connector to the trans and install the pig tails.

On my car, we installed weather pack terminals on the factory harness and then on the pigtails and the original OEM connectors. Essentially we made two sets of jumpers that you can use for either the magnum or the MT-82.

There is also a small electronic box that must be installed to correct the signal from the magnum speed sensor to the Ford system.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
The kit I bought comes with most everything I'll need, thankfully, including the harness and speedo recalibration box.

Its currently apart at liberty performance, I'm having work done to the unit while apart (replacing a reverse gear) that includes replacing all the plastic pads/bits with bronze, a bronze shift collar, stops, polishing of the shifting rail, shotpeening and a few other minor things to help improve shift feel. I'm hopeful it comes back feeling fantastic compared to the old unit.

Still hadn't decided on gearing. The closest match would be to do a 4.56 (or 4.30 if I want it a bit taller), but that involves replacement spacer blocks in the torsen and possibly some cooling concerns. I'll try the 3.73's first and be a gear down. I'll likely install a temp sensor in the rear axle cover now to get a baseline for differential oil temps and go from there.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Update time:

Parts are coming in and I think next week we'll resurrect the car:

Pair of GT-Performance Pack Brembo calipers (these things are big! surprisingly not as heavy as I expected)
Set of OP-Mustang titanium shims
Set of Goodridge Brake Lines
Pair of OP-Mustang spacers
Associated hardware for mounting
The freshened Tremec T56 Magnum XL (with new fresh bronze pads, fork upgrades, stops, shift bushings, shotpeen and polishing work)
Quicktime Bell housing
Exedy Hyper Single clutch
matching aluminum driveshaft kit
associated hardware and electronics
new front seal (I suspect mine is leaky)
rear upper housing bushing
new rear swaybar to test (18mm ford, smaller strano)
replacement crank sensor
new mirror brackets

BBS 10.5 and Enkei 10.5 wheels to test (a pair each). I might be selling the Enkei's soon for those interested.

Took Thursday and Friday off work next week and will put in the elbow grease to hopefully get the car back on the road. Waiting on some hardware (pads, trans conversion harness and speedo box, shifter handle) but otherwise plenty to do.

In typical fashion Optimum Performance Mustang did an awesome job with their kit. All the associated hardware is there, and the spacers are of fantastic quality, blow my Maximum Motorsports ones out of the water from a machine work and fit perspective, with true hubcentric rings built in. I can't say enough good things about that company and @OPMustang Tim who's helped me on both my S550 daily driver (when I had issues right out of the gate with it) and now the racecar. If this brake system works any bit as good as it looks and is packaged, its the deal of the century for racers who can't climb on-board the $6500 brembo train (but want to improve over what ford delivered on the boss/brembo GT), considering even those require parts not included. Excited to try the G18/12 pad combo, hopefully will put some real whoa to match the go. Will certainly have good comparison data available.

Also, for those seeing @wwilde001's for-sale items, can vouch for a fantastic seller, worked with me to get settled on the transmission kit and that awesome crating seen below is his work.

That all said, I'm hopeful that by planning this all out carefully I've left little to chance. The transmission looks rock-solid, makes really awesome feeling/sounding clicks when you shift it, and I hope I can get through a few more races with only minor teething issues if nothing else. This sport drains the life from me at times, but I'm hopeful I can get some of that back.

Link to the kit I used: http://www.opmustang.com/store/p168/2005_-_2014_Mustang_15"_Brembo_6_Piston_Caliper_Brake_Upgrade_Package_-_FRONT.html

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel