The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Captdistraction's ST2/GTR build thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdistraction said:
About 3 hours ago. Purrs like a kitten right off the bat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thats a great way to start the New Year!

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
With help from @ArizonaBOSS @voodoo child21 @74mach and many others we were able to get this thing together.

The aluminator was buttoned up (and for my own amusement, some carbon coil covers were added before having the PAS nameplate attached) and installed. We did the POE-Motorsports method of motor install which made the process quick and easy.

Everything was gone over in detail and a full post-race type inspection was done (and as usual, found a dozen or so things needing adjustment or re-torquing). The car assembled, it fired right up on first go round (after priming 3x) and quickly found its idle. Everything is improved over the previous setup, the idle is somehow smoother and the valvetrain quieter, the transmission is no longer a nightmare as the spacer set the clutch just right (now getting full disengagement) and no leaks whatsoever.

Drove it around the neighborhood today, its loud as ever, but I'll have to book some dyno time to get it broken in properly and set. No first test day set yet, I still want to take my time and get this right.

Here's a warm start (slight stumble at get-go since I had just stopped it before recording):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR1BGukmugA

and the idle once I pulled it out on the street (thanks to the factory cams, its buttery smooth. Some pops from handling the phone and wind noise):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3zePMiC75c

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Looks/sounds great....happy as hell to see you back up again!

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
0d3f3f7fed403186da6daacf9b8c42c7.jpg

The installed accusump works and is filled with oil. The bummer is now the system takes 15 quarts to reach the middle of the stick.

5d98d9442b0f65c670320f4ebd83c078.jpg

All ready for what feels like it's fifteenth debut and attempt at racing, this time with NASA-AZ at chuckwalla valley raceway. Just have to get my annual tech inspection done and classing dyno. Will have a race report next week. Hoping to come out swinging and give these fast local racers a run for their money (figuratively)

Or just not blow up or end up laps down ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Welp, classing dyno complete, with a mixed result:

16722856_10154885174041217_3860153960961351472_o.jpg

457RWHP/383TQ, cutoff at 7800.

Overshot my goal by nearly 20 HP, but for ST2 calcs, it calms down a bit to low 440's on the average. However, that means that my weight (min race weight) needs to be 3500lbs or so. Thankfully, I weigh 220lbs with all my gear on (fatty), but I'm not sure what the car weighs and won't know until Saturday morning. So if it comes down to ballast, its going to be interesting to get it installed. Any tips on last minute ballast fabrication? I'll leave the passenger seat in

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
captdistraction said:
Welp, classing dyno complete, with a mixed result:

16722856_10154885174041217_3860153960961351472_o.jpg

457RWHP/383TQ, cutoff at 7800.

Overshot my goal by nearly 20 HP, but for ST2 calcs, it calms down a bit to low 440's on the average. However, that means that my weight (min race weight) needs to be 3500lbs or so. Thankfully, I weigh 220lbs with all my gear on (fatty), but I'm not sure what the car weighs and won't know until Saturday morning. So if it comes down to ballast, its going to be interesting to get it installed. Any tips on last minute ballast fabrication? I'll leave the passenger seat in
Lead BB's (bird shot) poured into a length of box tubing. Once you have the correct weight, weld end caps on it and make a bracket that bolts it to the floor or passenger side door bars if the bottom one is low enough. (offset driver weight) Used or "Reclaimed" lead shot can be purchased cheaply from gun shops.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
captdistraction said:
well, I meant more track side fixes. I currently think I'll take the passenger seat out, and bolt (with large bolts/washers) some old rotors on there
I used to have a bunch of them all different sizes and I'd sit on the scales at the track and ask; "Do I weigh enough now? No? *Plink* how about now? More? *Plink* okay....how about now"? Until they were satisfied.
Seems not everybody's scales agreed so I'd come intentionally a little light and let them determine how much I needed to add before the race.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel